Domestication

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

What is your favourite domestic chore?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:46 pm

I love them all equally
2%
Dusting
No votes
Ironing
5%
Washing clothes
5%
Washing up
17%
Tidying
17%
Vacuuming
17%
I hate them all equally
33%
Other [please specify]
5%

Total votes: 42

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Domestication

Post by Charlie Reams »

Arguably the most important poll ever.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Re: Domestication

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Charlie Reams wrote:Arguably the most important poll ever.
Part of my chores is hoovering, so guess what I chose?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I genuinely enjoy washing-up, but I've always thought this was a bit odd (nobody else I know seems to like it at all). So the poll results so far are quite surprising, I figured I'd be on my own with that one.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

I much prefer outdoor work when the weather's nice.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

What the fuck, how can I be the only one who has said tidying?
Tidying rules, I remember from university the huge difference in mindframe that a tidy and a messy room can have when trying to work.
Tidiness helps you relax and be at ease in your surroundings, I'm deadly serious.
And the actual process is pretty cathartic, I'd especially have thought it popular among Countdown types as you get to do vaguely analytical stuff like 'sorting' and 'categorising' with it too.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:Arguably the most important poll ever.
I don't think you've thought the poll options through very carefully, to be frank. I enjoy cooking, which isn't listed; but maybe something you enjoy is ipso facto not a chore? That aside, I hate pretty much all chores, but I hate some less than others. In the end, I clicked Other [please specify], but this option did not work as advertised since there was no way to specify what other chore I'd selected, so now I'm thoroughly confused and miserable.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:What the fuck, how can I be the only one who has said tidying?
Tidying rules, I remember from university the huge difference in mindframe that a tidy and a messy room can have when trying to work.
Tidiness helps you relax and be at ease in your surroundings, I'm deadly serious.
And the actual process is pretty cathartic, I'd especially have thought it popular among Countdown types as you get to do vaguely analytical stuff like 'sorting' and 'categorising' with it too.
These are exactly my thoughts on the matter. Everything's just ten times better when all my items are at right angles.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Matt Morrison wrote:What the fuck, how can I be the only one who has said tidying?
This is perhaps the biggest case of IAWTP in the history of my life.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Ha! I didn't see what Jon had put til after I posted. Also TIDYING has a perfect anagram so it must be true :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

You'd better all be nominated me in the best post threads.
Though kind of sad that it wasn't one of my hilarious jokes, just a recommendation of the joys of tidying. I feel like I'm past it.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:I'd especially have thought it popular among Countdown types as you get to do vaguely analytical stuff like 'sorting' and 'categorising' with it too.
You overlooked the full extent of the Countdown/OCD interaction: my room never gets untidy enough to need tidying.
Phil Reynolds wrote:I enjoy cooking, which isn't listed; but maybe something you enjoy is ipso facto not a chore?
I don't think cooking is really a chore, any more than "going to sleep" or "inhaling" is a chore. I don't consider something to be a chore if it's necessary for basic survival. I realise this is a pretty debatable definition but at least I was consistent.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I find that washing up is quite good 'down time' for just staring out of the window and getting lost in your own thoughts.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Martin Gardner wrote:I find that washing up is quite good 'down time' for just staring out of the window and getting lost in your own thoughts.
I love washing up. Just chuck everything in the machine, press the button, and sod off to golf.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

If you saw my home, you'd be able to make a pretty good guess at which one I voted for! 8-)

I tried to be reasonably clean and tidy when I had children young enough to be crawling over the floor and shoving stuff in their mouths.
Now, as long as cooking and eating surfaces are clean, and we're not actually tripping over stuff on the floor, that'll do. :)

Philip's (my 18YO son) room is tidy, the rest of my kids are as slovenly as me. :roll:

I can't remember who said it, but I go by the philosophy that 'a tidy home is a sign of an empty life'. Well, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. :D
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I'd especially have thought it popular among Countdown types as you get to do vaguely analytical stuff like 'sorting' and 'categorising' with it too.
You overlooked the full extent of the Countdown/OCD interaction: my room never gets untidy enough to need tidying.
The full extent of OCD manifests itself as a tendency to see patterns in the untidiness one creates, and as a sufferer of this I simply must leave things to pile up on the floor of my room lest I be deprived of the sublime, complex beauty that is my mess.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

George Jenkins wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:I find that washing up is quite good 'down time' for just staring out of the window and getting lost in your own thoughts.
I love washing up. Just chuck everything in the machine, press the button, and sod off to golf.
Me too. Only instead of the machine, I just use the wife's face.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Vacuuming, because it's the easiest and I'm lazy.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Tidying, for the reasons specified by others.

And as for right angles... me too. We have a particularly irksome kitchen table which never stays still. Whenever I pass it, I have to line it up neatly with the floor tiles again. And for those who have been contestants on the new Countdown set... was anyone else disturbed by the fact that the chair is not placed centrally wrt to the monitor? I moved my chair but then had it moved back again. Apparently the clock isn't clearly visible between the contestants unless their chairs are moved to the side. From speaking to the other contestants I know I wasn't the only one bothered by it... and I'm guessing a lot of others will feel similarly.

Still... although I do like things to be tidy... I'm also lazy and busy and have small children and like to relax whenever I can... so my house is a tip. A regularly-tidied tip, but a tip nonetheless.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Dinos Sfyris wrote: This is perhaps the biggest case of IAWTP in the history of my life.
Haha. I didn't know what IAWTP stood for, so guessed at "I am walking the plank". Genuinely. Just googled it and... oh dear!
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Whenever I get my living room tidy, I always think how nice it looks. But then within a couple of days it's messy again. It's as if I get some peverse satisfaction out of living in a muddle. Can anyone explain this?

My own armchair pyschologist take on it would be that perhaps I cannot stand for life to be too easy, and feel that it should always be a challenge.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Ironing! You can do it whilst watching TV and not have to compromise on either. Plus there's something rather nice about seeing creases disappear.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:Ironing! You can do it whilst watching TV and not have to compromise on either.
I disagree. My other half irons while we're watching TV and it really annoys me as he misses so much. Sometimes if we're watching a good comedy I'll suddenly burst out laughing because of some subtle visual gag or nuance of physical expression and he'll go "What?" because he was folding something and missed it.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Junaid Mubeen wrote:Ironing! You can do it whilst watching TV and not have to compromise on either.
I disagree. My other half irons while we're watching TV and it really annoys me as he misses so much. Sometimes if we're watching a good comedy I'll suddenly burst out laughing because of some subtle visual gag or nuance of physical expression and he'll go "What?" because he was folding something and missed it.
It's all about technique, Phil. Usually takes years of practise to achieve that crucial balance. Took me just a week as I am a gifted ironer.
kevin manthorpe
Rookie

Post by kevin manthorpe »

I went for other coz my favourite is making our housekeeper a cup of tea. Putting out the rubbish comes a close second coz I can yell at my housemates for not doing it themselves when the bin got full.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

If "walking the dog" counts as a domestic chore, then it beats anything else, so I'd go for "other". It can last long enough for all the others to be done before I finish my task.

Otherwise, I have difficulty deciding between options 1 and 8. Although they're worded differently, to my mind they have exactly the same meaning.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Howard Somerset wrote:Otherwise, I have difficulty deciding between options 1 and 8. Although they're worded differently, to my mind they have exactly the same meaning.
That's why I chose the top one :mrgreen:
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:Ironing! You can do it whilst watching TV and not have to compromise on either. Plus there's something rather nice about seeing creases disappear.
The only good thing about ironing is that I can play poker online at the same time. Or I could until we rearranged the front room anyway...

Then again, the amount of time I spend ironing is roughly equivalent to the time I spend cleaning the windows (I live on the second floor of a tenement...)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Ian Volante wrote:(I live on the second floor of a tenement...)
That's only the second time I have ever heard that word . . . the first was in "The Days of Pearly Spencer".
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Derek Hazell wrote:
That's only the second time I have ever heard that word . . . the first was in "The Days of Pearly Spencer".
Tenements are great. I used to live here, right on the top floor.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

JimBentley wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:
How intriguing... are all Ladbrokes blue in Scotland, or is this a special one?
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:
The Playstation version of Doom has a level called "Tenements" too. Level 44 I think.

Oh, and this is my street...you can't really see how mucky my windows are though.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&l ... 0000000001
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

My mum is on StreetView.

Link.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon O'Neill wrote:My mum is on StreetView.

Link.
I'm sure I must be on somewhere, I remember seeing the car go past.