April Daily Duels

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Ian Dent
Devotee

April Daily Duels

Post by Ian Dent »

Aiming for a top 20 position this month.
Barry Evans

Re: April Daily Duels

Post by Barry Evans »

Fair play! It's my first month of doing daily duels on weekdays as well, so I think I'll join you in trying to get into top 20! :)
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

You are young Barry,
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'm aiming for 20 points.
Kevin Davis
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Davis »

Ian Dent wrote:Aiming for a top 20 position this month.
You and me both.
Oh, cackwires!
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Any more unlimited bollocky wank and I will be lucky to be in the top 50 ;)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Allan Harmer wrote:Any more unlimited bollocky wank and I will be lucky to be in the top 50 ;)
You and me both, I appear to suck hard at unlimited. Amazing what a difference it makes.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I started the duel, but my connection kept fooking up, and I didn't have time later. :(
Annoying, since I'd done 2 practice unlimited games with Nude in readiness.
I've done today's already, just to make sure. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie, you can't reinstate duels from past days can you? This is obviously due to connection problems, not my own laziness.
Only got 3 rounds done on yesterday's before everything died on me and I didn't get a chance to ask you.
Mind you, not that bothered. I think I got a four letter word for one round, pretty good for unlimited eh?
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Jon Corby wrote:
Allan Harmer wrote:Any more unlimited bollocky wank and I will be lucky to be in the top 50 ;)
You and me both, I appear to suck hard at unlimited. Amazing what a difference it makes.

I'd never played unlimited before so I was quite surprised at how well I did! I don't think I've ever been as highly placed!

More unlimited please Charlie!!!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:Charlie, you can't reinstate duels from past days can you? This is obviously due to connection problems, not my own laziness.
Only got 3 rounds done on yesterday's before everything died on me and I didn't get a chance to ask you.
Mind you, not that bothered. I think I got a four letter word for one round, pretty good for unlimited eh?
I can't let people play the Duel after the other people's games are publicly visible.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I was really kicking myself hard after yesterday's for getting greedy in round 10; I went for a dodgy ten (UNTRUENESS) instead of sticking with a safe nine (TENSENESS). Still, it was excellent to have some Unlimited action in the Duel, anyway. I'm with Karen, let's have some more!
Kevin Davis
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Davis »

Speed rounds make baby Jebus cry. Hell, I'm even struggling with the 15-seconders...
Oh, cackwires!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Damn, I'd have won yesterday if I'd not blobbed on one round :(
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Ian Volante wrote:Damn, I'd have won yesterday if I'd not blobbed on one round :(
So would I but I thought there was only one r as i had airports
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I was chuffed with today's duel as I was the only one to get an 8 on round 7 (SPOONIES) and the only one to get a 6 on round 5 (PILOSE), one of 3 to get the lovely 9 METATARSI (shame it was gevinscoring though) and I maxed the letters rounds apart from BANEFUL which, thanks to the duel, I spotted tonight in a 15 rounder.

However, I was nowhere near the top because I'm a retard and didn't spot EGRESSION and POTENTIAL for conundrums - so frustrating.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I was chuffed with today's duel as I was the only one to get an 8 on round 7 (SPOONIES) and the only one to get a 6 on round 5 (PILOSE), one of 3 to get the lovely 9 METATARSI (shame it was gevinscoring though) and I maxed the letters rounds apart from BANEFUL which, thanks to the duel, I spotted tonight in a 15 rounder.

However, I was nowhere near the top because I'm a retard and didn't spot EGRESSION and POTENTIAL for conundrums - so frustrating.
In other words, you did well in places, but were fucked out of sight overall.
Let it go. :P
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

D Eadie wrote:
In other words, you did well in places, but were fucked out of sight overall.
Let it go. :P
Fucked out of sight? Now there's a thought....
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

The server was shut down during my duel just before, and when I tried carrying on my game, naturally, it hung. So I shut down and have just got back in to find the duel inaccessible =/ Could it be reinstated to where it was, or does the shutdown lose all relevant data?
Kevin Davis
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Davis »

I seem to have a problem with my scores - I've completed nine duels (to 10/04), but only been scored for seven.
Oh, cackwires!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kevin Davis wrote:I seem to have a problem with my scores - I've completed nine duels (to 10/04), but only been scored for seven.
You completed this one after midnight when the results had been already published, so that won't count. Presumably same happened with the other one.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Yesterday's duel was nice. Considering the fact that I never play hyper, I was dead pleased to do this well.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Chris Davies wrote:Yesterday's duel was nice. Considering the fact that I never play hyper, I was dead pleased to do this well.
I was also pleased to do this well but I didn't realise the online dictionary wouldn't have PREDATIONS in it otherwise I'd have come top.

I was pleased to top the duel with this perfect game on Saturday too.
Kevin Davis
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Davis »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:I seem to have a problem with my scores - I've completed nine duels (to 10/04), but only been scored for seven.
You completed this one after midnight when the results had been already published, so that won't count. Presumably same happened with the other one.
Ah. Damn my night-owliness!
Oh, cackwires!
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Chris Davies wrote:Yesterday's duel was nice. Considering the fact that I never play hyper, I was dead pleased to do this well.
I rarely play it too Kirk but it does add a different perspective with 12 letters - I think I'll need a pen and paper for the conundrums next time as they are just so tough to spot
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I don't know if this is a bug or not but on this page I could see earlier on (around 9pm) that Damian, Jon and my latest win was today's duel so, without knowing the results yet, I knew that we were currently leading. I'm not sure if we're supposed to be able to tell who is currently leading.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I don't know if this is a bug or not but on this page I could see earlier on (around 9pm) that Damian, Jon and my latest win was today's duel so, without knowing the results yet, I knew that we were currently leading. I'm not sure if we're supposed to be able to tell who is currently leading.
Not a big deal really, but I think this is fixed now anyway.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:I don't know if this is a bug or not but on this page I could see earlier on (around 9pm) that Damian, Jon and my latest win was today's duel so, without knowing the results yet, I knew that we were currently leading. I'm not sure if we're supposed to be able to tell who is currently leading.
Interesting that the four of us who tied all dropped our point on the same round, considering it had two fairly routine maxes.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote: Interesting that the four of us who tied all dropped our point on the same round, considering it had two fairly routine maxes.
Yeah I noticed that and it was interesting. I saw DUALIST just out of time but I suppose the selection looked so nice we were looking for 8s, realised we couldn't find any and then saw we had 2 seconds left so grabbed a 6. Maybe.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Got a little annoyed when expected to spell DOMINOS with an E, Damian?

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=49783

You weren't the only one:

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=50078

We must have been thinking of all that pizza on Wednesday. ;)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Was quite pleased with my win in the duel today (the 4 large shootout). I was particularly pleased with my round 1 and round 10 efforts (this should be in brag really) -- hover your mouse over my target to see my solution.

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=51549
Mark Harrison
Rookie

Post by Mark Harrison »

Likewise, quite pleased with my first appearance in the top 10 - would've been a bit higher but for a couple of brainfades as well. Very much liking the all-numbers duel :geek:
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Joint 11th yesterday, very pleased with that. :)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Darren Carter wrote:Joint 11th yesterday, very pleased with that. :)
And I'm delighted with joint 56th, particularly when you see which two were joint 58th. :)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Well done to Eoin for winning yesterday's duel. If I hadn't seen a phantom A in the opening round victory would've been mine! :x
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Darren Carter wrote:Joint 11th yesterday, very pleased with that. :)
And I'm delighted with joint 56th, particularly when you see which two were joint 58th. :)
*wildly thinks of an excuse*
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'm sure this won't stop someone from complaining about it, but I made a bit of a boo-boo on today's Duel so depending on which time of day you played it, you might get different conundrums. Shouldn't make too much difference, none of them were obscenely easy or hard.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I came frustratingly close to a max game yesterday on the duel - in fact I actually had a max game as I spotted MAGNOLIA with a second to go. I typed M in and then time ran out and so I went to type it and spelt it MAGH...(fat fingers). Damn, I couldn't delete so I had to settle for LAMPING. 45 second rounds made all the difference but wish I could type.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Well done to Eoin for winning yesterday's duel. If I hadn't seen a phantom A in the opening round victory would've been mine! :x
Thanks Dinos :D