Accumulate!

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gary Male
Enthusiast

Accumulate!

Post by Gary Male »

Modesty seems to have prevented former Countdown QFer and Conor Travers massacre victim Daniel Peake from posting a link to the Reading University television gameshow that he's hosting, but he's not getting away with it that easy.

http://www.ruon.org/watch

Enjoy. Hopefully.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Accumulate!

Post by Matt Morrison »

Haha. Utterly Gazebo are utterly stoned, and saving the whole thing from cringeworthy mediocrity (not got to the questions yet).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

WARNING!
You might want to skip 18:15 -> 18:25 for the anger it will incite in all of you.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gary Male wrote:Modesty
You modest bastard Gary! Nice one. I'm not taking back the cringeworthy comment, but I did enjoy it :)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:You might want to skip 18:15 -> 18:25 for the anger it will incite in all of you.
You actually sat through the whole thing? Blimey. I cracked halfway through the first round of questions I'm afraid. My favourite bit was the two spooning question marks in the title sequence, although it's a shame they seem to have used up all the budget on that and had none left over for some lighting so we could see the contestants. (Although given the state of chemical alteration most of them seemed to be in, that's probably not such a bad thing.)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Phil Reynolds wrote:My favourite bit was the two spooning question marks in the title sequence, although it's a shame they seem to have used up all the budget on that and had none left over for some lighting so we could see the contestants.
I thought the change from the dramatic music and credits suddenly cutting to the silent, badly studio was quite funny. I was also thoroughly unimpressed with the general knowledge of the contestants (although I suppose if they were 'under the influence' that can be forgiven).
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:I thought the change from the dramatic music and credits suddenly cutting to the silent, badly [lit] studio was quite funny.
Yeah, as was the illiterate opening caption ("The views and actions of the contestants... do not represent that of Reading University...").

Er, I thought the format and the question setting were quality, though.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:You actually sat through the whole thing? Blimey. I cracked halfway through the first round of questions I'm afraid.
You have absolutely no idea how bored I was last night. I can't yet comment on whether I'll watch the rest of the episodes, though don't count it out! :)
Phil Reynolds wrote:My favourite bit was the two spooning question marks in the title sequence, although it's a shame they seem to have used up all the budget on that
Yeah the question marks were brilliant. It was utterly odd how sometimes all the question marks would be off to one side or along the bottom as if something was about to happen in the big black main part of the screen and never did. It genuinely reminded me of the lead-in/lead-out sequences in The Day Today which had me cracking up, though I fear that wasn't quite the intention.
Michael Wallace wrote:I was also thoroughly unimpressed with the general knowledge of the contestants (although I suppose if they were 'under the influence' that can be forgiven).
That's no grounds to forgive them. General knowledge and drugs generally go together really well. (seriously)
Phil Reynolds wrote:I thought the format and the question setting were quality, though.
Yeah, not bad at all. I was a bit confused by the final round - if they get the question wrong, do they lose the full amount of points they would have won for that question? If so, that would mean it suffers from that gameshow curse of the final round having so much power that it almost invalidates everything that has gone on before it.

And the stacking cups and plates round might need some work but it was an interesting Krypton Factor-esque idea.

Also I think when they were arranging the 5/6 items in order, it was a little harsh not giving them any idea of the time until 2 seconds remained.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

I'm amused by the idea that people think the show has a budget.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Gary Male wrote:I'm amused by the idea that people think the show has a budget.
Well if not a financial one, you'll still have a finite set of resources (such as time).
Nicky
Rookie

Post by Nicky »

Of course they had a budget. Paper cups and plates don't grow on trees, y'know! :P
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Matt Morrison wrote:If so, that would mean it suffers from that gameshow curse of the final round having so much power that it almost invalidates everything that has gone on before it.
Duffman: And now for the final round, which accounts for 99% of the total score, making all the previous rounds a complete waste. OH YEAH!!!
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Matt Morrison wrote:WARNING!
You might want to skip 18:15 -> 18:25 for the anger it will incite in all of you.
They're students and they dont watch Countdown? WTF!!!!