Sandwich/Sandwiches

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

If you cut a sandwich in half, what do you get?

Two sandwiches
47%
Two halves of a sandwich
53%

Total votes: 49

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: Sandwich/Sandwiches

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jon Corby wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:SANDWICHES - PLEASE!!
Wrapped or open?
Don't they sometimes have The Open at Sandwich
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jon Corby wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:SANDWICHES - PLEASE!!
Wrapped or open?
That's chips though isn't it? Strictly speaking an 'open sandwich' is one without a top slice of bread (or bottom slice, I suppose but that would open up a whole new can of worms - which is on my top ten of least favourite sandwich fillings) A topless sandwich isn't popular is it? Unless you're Dutch - they invented them I think, with their anything goes attitude; they put peaches on ham sandwiches which is just craisee, man. Derek's right, Marc Meakin is banging out the jokes so I'll award him the spare popularity poll vote that I've gained back from the Dinos/Jono hybridisation.
Last edited by Sue Sanders on Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Sue Sanders wrote:Strictly speaking an 'open sandwich' is one without a top slice of bread (or bottom slice, I suppose but than would open up a whole new can of worms - which is on my top ten of least favourite sandwhich fillings.
I think "bottom slice" is in my top ten least favourite sandwich fillings.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Sue Sanders wrote:A topless sandwich isn't popular is it? Unless you're Dutch - they invented them I think, with their anything goes attitude; they put peaches on ham sandwiches which is just craisee, man.
I'm half-Dutch and I grew up with open sandwiches (should be in the oxymoron thread, perhaps). I particularly like them when two slices of bread would make the whole thing a bit too stodgy.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:Strictly speaking an 'open sandwich' is one without a top slice of bread (or bottom slice, I suppose but than would open up a whole new can of worms - which is on my top ten of least favourite sandwhich fillings.
I think "bottom slice" is in my top ten least favourite sandwich fillings.
lol Image
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Someone I know talks about "open sandwiches" when she means x on bread (or bread and x or whatever). I find it annoying.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Someone I know talks about "open sandwiches" when she means x on bread (or bread and x or whatever). I find it annoying.
She sounds very affected. You should dump her.

On the whole "open sandwiches" thing, I don't think I'd really been aware of the term before, or I'd probably heard it but not really known what it was (although it's pretty obvious). Bread and jam was a staple food when I was a kid, but I never connected that it's also an open jam sandwich.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

My dad used to be a pilot with Dan Air back in the day when you got served cold food, and often used to bring home his uneaten 'plastic salad' and I'd have it for my school packed lunch. But if he'd been to the Low countries - this was when we'd get the open sandwich brought home (complete with unwanted peach slices on top) and if I took those to school, boy there was some explaining to do. A sandwich with all the meat, all the salad, a friggin' peach, but no top slice of bread, served in a plastic tray and requiring a knife and fork (plastic -supplied) to eat it ??? I had to fend off so many sarky questions eating one of those. Kids can be so cruel about non-conformist sandwiches; I'm sure they must be the source of 'your mum' jokes. Mind you, we were THE household to come begging to if you wanted some bagged up plastic cutlery/salt/pepper/coffeemate/sugar sets for your picnics, and I created much jealousy with my minature cans of fizzy drinks, because this was long before you could buy them in the shops and infinitely more sophisticated than nasty, sticky,'it tastes like chicken', sodastream.
Last edited by Sue Sanders on Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fool's top.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

You lot had it easy. We couldn't afford food when I was a kid. My mum used to make us chew on bits of metal.

Only years later did I find out that hers wasn't the actual definition of staple diet.

Now, that one was bad, even for me. I debated long and hard whether to post it or not, and in the end decided you couldn't think any worse of me than I've brought on already.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Derek Hazell wrote:You lot had it easy. We couldn't afford food when I was a kid. My mum used to make us chew on bits of metal.

Only years later did I find out that hers wasn't the actual definition of staple diet.

Now, that one was bad, even for me. I debated long and hard whether to post it or not, and in the end decided you couldn't think any worse of me than I've brought on already.
If you're going to have a mass debate with yourself and it's keeping you up til 3 in the morning, I reckon this has gone beyond a hobby and become a fetish.
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Derek Hazell wrote:You lot had it easy. We couldn't afford food when I was a kid. My mum used to make us chew on bits of metal.

At least your diet was rich in Iron
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

If you buy a standard Bounty bar (as in, where there are 2 distinct chocolate things in the packet) and eat one, do you have one Bounty left, or half a packet of Bounty, or what?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:If you buy a standard Bounty bar (as in, where there are 2 distinct chocolate things in the packet) and eat one, do you have one Bounty left, or half a packet of Bounty, or what?
Without answering your question, I was hauled off the streets of Southampton once into a room above Above Bar Street Church, to help with some market research. It was when Bounty made the switch to these two mini-bars, and I had to briefly view slides of a load of sweet racks, and then say which ones had Bounty in and which other brands I could remember seeing. I then answered some other questions, and finally they showed me a load of different Bounty wrappers and I had to evaluate each. Not only were there different graphics, there were also different materials (more papery feel) and also some wrappers with perforations (some at the ends, some in the middle between the two bars). The best bit was that I had to open each wrapper to properly evaluate it, and I got to take home a carrier bag full of little Bounty bars at the end.

Anyway, there's clearly 2 distinct little bars in the wrapper (as you've said) so you have one of those left. Whether you choose to call it "one little bar" or "half a packet of Bounty" is up to you, but it clearly isn't A bar that you've bought in the first place, it's a packet containing 2 bars. It's a nonsense to try and claim any kind of parallel with the sandwich counting paradox.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:If you buy a standard Bounty bar (as in, where there are 2 distinct chocolate things in the packet) and eat one, do you have one Bounty left, or half a packet of Bounty, or what?
Without answering your question, I was hauled off the streets of Southampton once into a room above Above Bar Street Church, to help with some market research. It was when Bounty made the switch to these two mini-bars, and I had to briefly view slides of a load of sweet racks, and then say which ones had Bounty in and which other brands I could remember seeing. I then answered some other questions, and finally they showed me a load of different Bounty wrappers and I had to evaluate each. Not only were there different graphics, there were also different materials (more papery feel) and also some wrappers with perforations (some at the ends, some in the middle between the two bars). The best bit was that I had to open each wrapper to properly evaluate it, and I got to take home a carrier bag full of little Bounty bars at the end.

Anyway, there's clearly 2 distinct little bars in the wrapper (as you've said) so you have one of those left. Whether you choose to call it "one little bar" or "half a packet of Bounty" is up to you, but it clearly isn't A bar that you've bought in the first place, it's a packet containing 2 bars. It's a nonsense to try and claim any kind of parallel with the sandwich counting paradox.
I don't like your use of the word "hauled" here, it sounds like you were more than willing you fat fat fatty.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I remember those packets that were almost papery, a bit like greaseproof paper. Ripped easily, satisfying tear.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:I remember those packets that were almost papery, a bit like greaseproof paper. Ripped easily, satisfying tear.
I like novelty paper too. Brannigans crisps, for example.