Apterous is Down

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Apterous is Down

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Excuse my language but I have a real craving for a game (or two).

Try to log in as normal and get the error report

Logon Failed: java.io.IOException: Could not log in.

Anyone?
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Re: FOR FUCKS SAKE WHY WON'T APTEROUS WORK

Post by Allan Harmer »

Douglas Wilson wrote:Excuse my language but I have a real craving for a game (or two).

Try to log in as normal and get the error report

Logon Failed: java.io.IOException: Could not log in.

Anyone?
Yes - I've been getting the same message all evening :(
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Sorry Kai :|
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

I'm not being funny but why should i be expected to contribute £10 to something that rarely works!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

You're more than welcome to fork out for a server and host it yourself if you feel that strongly about it.

In the meantime, two things- 1. the thread title is now slightly more family-friendly, and 2. check this page. No games in a while probably means the server's down for whatever reason.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Maybe you agree with this post from Jon Corby on the 'Appreciation for Charlie' thread?
Jon Corby wrote:I appreciate his intentions in creating apterous, but find his recent attitude concerning the bug reports despicable, particularly as many of us have paid a lot of money (in difficult economic times). If I parted with cash and receive this kind of service level elsewhere, I would be initiating some kind of formal complaint. In this instance this would seem kinda futile, so I suppose I'll just have to chalk this one off to experience and be a little more careful next time that when I pay for something, I'm going to reasonably assured of receiving it, or at the very least some route for recompense if I am disappointed.

In summary: Charlie :x
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ben Wilson wrote:check this page
From which we conclude it's all Nick's fault. The bastard.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Douglas Wilson wrote:I'm not being funny but why should i be expected to contribute £10 to something that rarely works!
I look forward to your competing product at a lower price.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Douglas Wilson wrote:I'm not being funny but why should i be expected to contribute £10 to something that rarely works!
No-one's expecting anything, it's free unless you choose to pay :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Julie T
Kiloposter

Re: Apterous is Down

Post by Julie T »

Brickbats aside (joking or otherwise), if everyone who uses apterous donated another £10 or whatever, would it be possible to afford a server that wouldn't crash so often?

Apologies for my ignorance if this is ridiculous. I don't know how these things work, and am glad that others do and we have apterous most of the time.

BTW, although Ben has edited the subject title, the swearing still appears at the top of each post on the thread. :?

P.S. Edited to say, not this one apparently. Maybe since I didn't quote??
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julie T wrote:Brickbats aside (joking or otherwise), if everyone who uses apterous donated another £10 or whatever, would it be possible to afford a server that wouldn't crash so often?
Probably not. Most of the crashes are caused by programming bugs which are extremely difficult to diagnose and fix, and lately I haven't had the time. This is the disadvantage of running a project by myself which would normally have a staff of 10.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Ian Volante wrote:
No-one's expecting anything, it's free unless you choose to pay :)
Perhaps a one-month extension for the people who paid £10 would be in order?
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Julie T wrote:Brickbats aside (joking or otherwise), if everyone who uses apterous donated another £10 or whatever, would it be possible to afford a server that wouldn't crash so often?
Probably not. Most of the crashes are caused by programming bugs which are extremely difficult to diagnose and fix, and lately I haven't had the time. This is the disadvantage of running a project by myself which would normally have a staff of 10.
I'll help you. :)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ah, well, 'twas an idea. Are any of the other countdowners able to help you, or has apterous evolved beyond that which Jono knows about?
Not necessarily thinking of making it more reliable, just so it isn't all down to you, Charlie.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julie T wrote:Are any of the other countdowners able to help you, or has apterous evolved beyond that which Jono knows about?
I think the program evolved beyond what Jono knows about sometime in June...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Julie T wrote:Are any of the other countdowners able to help you, or has apterous evolved beyond that which Jono knows about?
Ridiculous, I am the brains.

We need a volume on/off switch.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Ridiculous, I am the brains.

We need a volume on/off switch.
On you or Charlie?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles