Spoilers and comments for Wednesday 18/02/2009

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Innis Carson
Devotee

Spoilers and comments for Wednesday 18/02/2009

Post by Innis Carson »

Game 3 for Neil Zussman, versus Anita Fairhurst (happy birthday to her)
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers and comments for Wednesday 18/02/2009

Post by Ben Hunter »

SHIT I'M MISSING IT.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Would hope RIGOURS isn't a mass noun, I can think of a few examples where it's used as a countable noun.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

POOJAS
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Brilliant game, brilliant performance. Well done Neil!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I thought I had a max game (WOOO!!!), until I saw Chris' post ( :evil: :cry: ). Well done Neil, and I can say that I got the conundrum quicker than you. :P
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Great game, very well played Neil. And well played Anita too, a performance like that could easily have been a winning one against a different opponent. That'll go on the CDB "Highest Joint Score" list, surely.
Last edited by Innis Carson on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I thought I had a max game (WOOO!!!), until I saw Chris' post ( :evil: :cry: ). Well done Neil, and I can say that I got the conundrum quicker than you. :P
That round with POOJAS was the first one I saw, as I was out of the house for much of the episode. I did get the last numbers game exactly, but the conundrum took me about 3 seconds to see - too long!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

(8+4)*75-9*5 was my alt for round 14, and this was the first day in ages I was beaten to the conundrum. Thought were were on for a double century there for a moment- which hasn't happened in a heat in over 7 years!
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Were there any nines today?
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Excellent game. Well played Neil and Anita.

They should give Anita another go in the future I reckon with that high losing score.

I always wondered how do they set up the matches so that an eg. Julian Fell doesn't play a Craig Beevers in the first round, I thought they had a way of separating the top top players during their attempted octo run (from their auditions etc) as you don't want the top players knocking each other out early as in today's case.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Jojo Apollo wrote:I always wondered how do they set up the matches so that an eg. Julian Fell doesn't play a Craig Beevers in the first round, I thought they had a way of separating the top top players during their attempted octo run (from their auditions etc) as you don't want the top players knocking each other out early as in today's case.
I think they tried in Series 59, and failed miserably, probably setting a new record for having 3 octochamps in 25 games.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

That was such a scary game- you could see how relieved I was when I got the conundrum!
Happy birthday to Anita, it was a good contest. Definitely deserves another go, there are plenty of people who would've missed 'dominate', 'lemonade' and 'cherubs' for instance. Strangely, she didn't beat me in any rounds, whereas the guy yesterday did. Oh well.
I did have Outrigs written down in round 8, and Mojoes in round 13, but neither of those are words, so I'm glad I didn't risk them. I should've got the last numbers though, just to give myself some breathing space, but unfortunately after getting the 309 on Monday, I've been a bit rubbish on the numbers. It would've been rather annoying to lose with 101, especially since it would also have been my highest score from the 3 games!
Kai Laddiman wrote:
Jojo Apollo wrote:I always wondered how do they set up the matches so that an eg. Julian Fell doesn't play a Craig Beevers in the first round, I thought they had a way of separating the top top players during their attempted octo run (from their auditions etc) as you don't want the top players knocking each other out early as in today's case.
I think they tried in Series 59, and failed miserably, probably setting a new record for having 3 octochamps in 25 games.
Surely that means they separated them successfully (none of them knocked each other out).
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Neil, you seemed a bit miffed after the last numbers game when you said you had got the numbers the same way as Anita, was it because you thought you should have been asked first as you didn't have it written down (or maybe you did but it was edited) or was it because you were miffed because you thought you should have got it? ( Sorry I missed the declarations part, not sure who had it written down or not.)

ps. Do people ever say you look like the legendary Fred Harris (or is it just old duffers like me :oops: )
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Jojo Apollo wrote:Neil, you seemed a bit miffed after the last numbers game when you said you had got the numbers the same way as Anita, was it because you thought you should have been asked first as you didn't have it written down (or maybe you did but it was edited) or was it because you were miffed because you thought you should have got it? ( Sorry I missed the declarations part, not sure who had it written down or not.)

ps. Do people ever say you look like the legendary Fred Harris (or is it just old duffers like me :oops: )
To be quite honest, I can't remember what I was thinking. Neither of us had written it down, so I guess I wondered what would happen in that situation, and I'm glad Jeff trusted me (I genuinely did do it an identical way). My dad pointed out that there would be people who write in to complain about that, so it was a good job I won by more than 7 in the end. There will probably still be people who complain. I was a bit annoyed with myself as well for not getting it (after all (8+4)*75-5*9 is nowhere near as complicated as some numbers games). And also, I was obviously worried that I hadn't put the game beyond reach yet and Anita could get the crucial conundrum.
Nobody has ever said I look like Fred Harris, no. I didn't even know who he was until I just searched on google images, and I can kind of see what you mean. Maybe. I won't take it as an insult, anyway :)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Neil Zussman wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:
Surely that means they separated them successfully (none of them knocked each other out).
Nah, I think the idea is that they spread them out over the whole series, rather than cramming them together in 5 weeks.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Great game today Neil.

It was really exciting to watch and your opponent was very good with some great spots under pressure.

Well done!

Al
Last edited by Allan Harmer on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Neil Zussman wrote: To be quite honest, I can't remember what I was thinking. Neither of us had written it down, so I guess I wondered what would happen in that situation, and I'm glad Jeff trusted me (I genuinely did do it an identical way). My dad pointed out that there would be people who write in to complain about that, so it was a good job I won by more than 7 in the end. There will probably still be people who complain. I was a bit annoyed with myself as well for not getting it (after all (8+4)*75-5*9 is nowhere near as complicated as some numbers games). And also, I was obviously worried that I hadn't put the game beyond reach yet and Anita could get the crucial conundrum.
Nobody has ever said I look like Fred Harris, no. I didn't even know who he was until I just searched on google images, and I can kind of see what you mean. Maybe. I won't take it as an insult, anyway :)
Ah now I see, sorry I thought Anita had it written down (must remember to pay more attention in future :oops: ). Everything was in order there. Absolutely no question about people complaining, we know you had it the same way. Yeah was very surprised you didn't have the last numbers spot on, but very understandable under the high pressure circumstances.

:lol: I knew you were too young to remember the great man Fred Harris ( you probably weren't even born when he was on mainstream). No insult at all (honest!), Fred Harris along with the great Johnny Ball were the brainboxes of kids tv in my heyday, Fred was one of the main ones who paved the way forward with home computers in the early 80's (anyone else remember the BBC 32K) and along with Johnny Ball was one of the presenters of the legendary tv show Playschool.

ps. cheers for the reply :D
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

A brilliant game! I enjoyed watching it and the speed with which the conundrum was solved was positively blinding. I didn't get any of the 8s, though my mum got lemonade.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Absolutely brilliant. I'm glad it was you not me playing in that game. After round 13 I was only 95-87 up - both of you were spotting everything. It was only the last numbers that gave me the break I needed.

A real shame the challenger came up against you, Neil. Not sure about having another shot but I feel she might deserve one - she was obviously a quality opponent.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Ben Wilson wrote:(8+4)*75-9*5 was my alt for round 14, and this was the first day in ages I was beaten to the conundrum. Thought were were on for a double century there for a moment- which hasn't happened in a heat in over 7 years!
I had 853 at first, then I realised that if I did 9*5 for the 45 I only have to make 12 out of the other three remaining numbers, which is straightforward. I don't actually count the score anymore, but you both beat me with LEMONADE as I had MELAENA (horrible word, avoid looking up the definition).

Plus, I assuming you're discounting all CofC's, Ben? I don't keep records but I think Chris Wills vs. Terry Rattle might be the only time there's been a double century during the heat games. For finals games, I can come up with Holden vs. Hutchings (110-105, I think) then Travers vs. Howe which was definitely 124-100. It's happened a couple of other times in CofCs; Wills/Williams, Nash/Fell, most recently Briers/O'Donnell and LOADS of times in the 12th CofC tournament, won by Paul Gallen.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Yeah, I hope she does get invited back in say, 5 years, as happened with Terry Rattle. Best game this series, by a very long way.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I hadn't realised until today, Neil, that you're a student at good old Warwick Uni, my alma mater and from which I still live just a handful of miles away in leafy Leamington. What with Kirk's home town being just up the road in Rugby, there's quite a few of us in the locality.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I thought I had a max game (WOOO!!!), until I saw Chris' post ( :evil: :cry: ). Well done Neil, and I can say that I got the conundrum quicker than you. :P
Everything he said applies to me
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I hadn't realised until today, Neil, that you're a student at good old Warwick Uni, my alma mater and from which I still live just a handful of miles away in leafy Leamington. What with Kirk's home town being just up the road in Rugby, there's quite a few of us in the locality.
I had noticed you lived in Leamingotn. Not being a first year or finalist, I'm not given a place on campus, so I currently rent a house in Leam with 3 other guys on my course. I've been wondering if I'd bump into you at some point, which would be a bit of a coincidence!
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Neil Zussman wrote:I had noticed you lived in Leamingotn. Not being a first year or finalist, I'm not given a place on campus, so I currently rent a house in Leam with 3 other guys on my course. I've been wondering if I'd bump into you at some point, which would be a bit of a coincidence!
Hi Neil. I also went to Warwick Uni back in the eighties and lived in Leamington for a year. How's the Koan doing? Is it still going round?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Right, very quick research shows:

Highest losing scores during the heat stages of a Series:

Terry Rattle 107
Roy Gerrish 96
Andrew Naylor 95*
Rober Waters and Anita Fairhurst 94

*Highest without a nine.

It's possible I've missed some there, but it's a pretty good guide.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Mike Brown wrote:
Neil Zussman wrote:I had noticed you lived in Leamingotn. Not being a first year or finalist, I'm not given a place on campus, so I currently rent a house in Leam with 3 other guys on my course. I've been wondering if I'd bump into you at some point, which would be a bit of a coincidence!
Hi Neil. I also went to Warwick Uni back in the eighties and lived in Leamington for a year. How's the Koan doing? Is it still going round?
I believe it's been moved, possibly only temporarily though, whilst some building work goes on on campus.

Martin: What were the winning scores in those games, out of interest?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Neil Zussman wrote:
Mike Brown wrote:
I believe it's been moved, possibly only temporarily though, whilst some building work goes on on campus.

Martin: What were the winning scores in those games, out of interest?
Right, I haven't closed the page yet, so as you can see,

Wills 120 - 107 Rattle
Edwards 111 - 96 Gerrish
Swale 96 - 106 Durrant*
Rolnis 98 - 95 Naylor
Waters 94 - 99 Wainwright

So interestingly, the Naylor one is the highest losing score to a person who didn't later makes the Qfs, and Waters was the champion, not the challenger when he lost to Nick Wainwright.

*Edit: add this game to the list, Andrew Swale losing with 96 while the champion to Tony Durrant got 106, but that was on a second conundrum.

Further edit: scroll to the bottom, notice thet Joyce Cansfield is the series 2 champion, and there is no series 1.
david dawson
Rookie

Post by david dawson »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I hadn't realised until today, Neil, that you're a student at good old Warwick Uni, my alma mater and from which I still live just a handful of miles away in leafy Leamington. What with Kirk's home town being just up the road in Rugby, there's quite a few of us in the locality.
I went for an interview at Warwick but they wisely decided to not let me join.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martin Gardner wrote: Further edit: scroll to the bottom, notice thet Joyce Cansfield is the series 2 champion, and there is no series 1.
If you notice, everything is shifted by one series, i.e. Series 58 should have been won by David O'Donnell. I'm sure it will get fixed at some stage as a definite records page is something to keep online in one place.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

I didn't think I could enjoy a heat game as much as that following the personal excitement of series 59 and CoC. But wow, what a stunning game and kudos to both contestants for a cracking contest. I'm relieved to discover POOJAS is there as after round 14 I thought I was on for a max, but barely had a chance to process that conundrum (thanks Neil)!

Seriously well played Neil, especially under pressure at the end. Would've been a shame to see you go so early especially after such a solid performance. 3 down, 5 to go!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Mm. Not a huge coincidence really, given that we live in the same not-very-big town...
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:I didn't think I could enjoy a heat game as much as that following the personal excitement of series 59 and CoC. But wow, what a stunning game and kudos to both contestants for a cracking contest.
Agreed it was sensational! Well done to both players. Think I only missed POOJAS and CHERUBS. I spotted the conundrum the same time as Neil, and giving him the benefit of the doubt I only would've won by one point thanks to LACERATE and the last numbers, but, you know, studio conditions etc. I'm sure he would've had my arse if I'd been under pressure.

Also I'm surprised no one has made a joke about Neil enjoying a good Hanjie now and again...
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:. Think I only missed POOJAS and CHERUBS.
Ah, so you got RIGOURS and TRANSFIX too? Nice one.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

...No :(
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Congratulations, Neil, it was certainly a very exciting game, especially when I was in the audience. Anita was very unlucky to come up against you, she'd've probably won a few games otherwise.

I spoke to Anita afterwards, who still seemed very happy, pleased she'd been on, that she hadn't made an idiot of herself having told her friends she'd be on the show, etc. She encouraged me to try for an audition again (I've failed 2), as she only got on on her third try.
Martin Gardner wrote:Right, very quick research shows:

Terry Rattle 107
Roy Gerrish 96
Andrew Naylor 95*

*Highest without a nine.

So is Terry Rattle the only one of those to get another try? If so, as Anita just missed out on a 100, they probably won't give her another chance, unless the others do too.

P.S. Just shows what a crap memory I have. I played along at home, and still lost to you both! :lol:
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Julie T wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:Right, very quick research shows:

Terry Rattle 107
Roy Gerrish 96
Andrew Naylor 95*

*Highest without a nine.

So is Terry Rattle the only one of those to get another try? If so, as Anita just missed out on a 100, they probably won't give her another chance, unless the others do too.
Someone with a better knowledge than me will probably come along to correct me (I really can't be bothered to trawl through the wiki to find out all the details), but Terry lost to Chris Wills, who is really one of the greats, which probably had something to do with it.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I'm surprised that (according to the recap and confirmed by the Stemmer) CASKED isn't a valid equaller in round 12. If soup can be tinned and cereal can be boxed, surely beer can be casked?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:. Think I only missed POOJAS and CHERUBS.
Ah, so you got RIGOURS and TRANSFIX too? Nice one.
I was wondering about FIXATORS^, but nay.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Great game, you both did so well and ended up with high scores. It would be nice if they could give Anita another chance as she would have won if she hadn't come up against Neil, but I don't suppose they allow that to happen.

Was Anita's birthday on the day the show was recorded or on 18th Feb? I get really annoyed with the reference to the day the show is aired, when everyone knows the shows are recorded several weeks beforehand. Better not to mention dates, surely?
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Happy Birthday, Anita, whenever it was! Hope we see you again sometime.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Kathleen Batlle wrote:Happy Birthday, Anita, whenever it was! Hope we see you again sometime.
Yeah, I'd like to know whether your birthday was on the day of recording or the day of tranmission. On an unrelated note, I've always read your surname Kathleen as Battle. Since when did it change to Batlle or didn't it?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I'm 99.99% certain it would have been the transmission date. Otherwise if she'd won it would also be her birthday today. If you see what I mean.

You'd be surprised about people's understanding of the whole filming/transmission thing as well, Kathleen. Most people don't really think about it, a lot of (intelligent) people (who should have known better) would always speak to me about that day's show as if it had just happened, and speak of the next one (if I hadn't just been trounced by Charlie) as if it was still to be decided ("you must say/do this" etc).

Kirk, her surname has been Batlle since she married. As explained here.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote:
Kirk, her surname has been Batlle since she married. As explained here.
Thanks mate, I completely missed that section of the thread, obviously.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Excellent game, well done.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Michael Wallace wrote:Someone with a better knowledge than me will probably come along to correct me (I really can't be bothered to trawl through the wiki to find out all the details), but Terry lost to Chris Wills, who is really one of the greats, which probably had something to do with it.
He also had two nines. I wonder if that's the most nines a contestant got in a heat game who still lost.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mm. Not a huge coincidence really, given that we live in the same not-very-big town...
Admittedly, if Leam was bigger, it would be a bigger surprise. But it's perfectly possible to live near to someone for years and not know it. So it would be a bit of a coincidence, like I said.

Also, I'm pretty sure (almost certain actually) that Anita's birthday was on transmission date, not filming date.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Neil Zussman wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Admittedly, if Leam was bigger, it would be a bigger surprise. But it's perfectly possible to live near to someone for years and not know it. So it would be a bit of a coincidence, like I said.
I'm always surprised when I run into my neighbour!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Hi Kirk and Jon, Didn't check this site until tonight, so I'm a bit behind, but of course I did mention that my surname is foreign as my husband is Catalan and Batlle actually means "Lord Mayor" in the Catalan language, so somewhere in the past someone from Sebastian's family must have been the mayor of the town. However, most English-speaking people think it must be Battle and automatically think I've spelled it wrongly, so I'm used to this.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

[quote="Jojo Apollo
Ah now I see, sorry I thought Anita had it written down (must remember to pay more attention in future :oops: ). Everything was in order there. Absolutely no question about people complaining, we know you had it the same way. Yeah was very surprised you didn't have the last numbers spot on, but very understandable under the high pressure circumstances.

:lol: I knew you were too young to remember the great man Fred Harris ( you probably weren't even born when he was on mainstream). No insult at all (honest!), Fred Harris along with the great Johnny Ball were the brainboxes of kids tv in my heyday, Fred was one of the main ones who paved the way forward with home computers in the early 80's (anyone else remember the BBC 32K) and along with Johnny Ball was one of the presenters of the legendary tv show Playschool.

ps. cheers for the reply :D[/quote]

I saw this on holiday and haven't had a chance to comment until now.

The "double not written down" round seems to be remarkably rare. On the only previous occasion I can remember (with RW in the chair I think) the contestants (or possibly just one of them) were asked to write down their solutions before presenting as normal.

I didn't like what I saw last week, and from Neil's comments I don't think he was comfortable. I don't intend to complain directly because I expect the lesson has already been learned.

And for the benefit of this thread, I'm also a Warwickensian.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

I got CASEDESK in r12, or would that not be allowed? It's a new 'desk on the go' type thing I've heard of, but don't know if it's a brandname...

Another alternative 3rd numbers ((4x5)+75)x9
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:I got CASEDESK in r12, or would that not be allowed?
It's not in I'm afraid, Lesley.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Thaks Kirk aka Susie. :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:Thaks Kirk aka Susie. :)
I'm just like Susie, but just far more attractive.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

As a heterosexual woman, I agree. ;)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I'm a heterosexual man and I agree as well. Well in Kirk.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:As a heterosexual woman, I agree. ;)
Awesome.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon O'Neill wrote:I'm a heterosexual man and I agree as well. Well in Kirk.
I also agree with Lesley, Kirk. Now all you have to do is find a lesbian who thinks you're more attractive than Susie and you've got a full house.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:I'm a heterosexual man and I agree as well. Well in Kirk.
I also agree with Lesley, Kirk. Now all you have to do is find a lesbian who thinks you're more attractive than Susie and you've got a full house.
I'm straight, and I think that Susie is more attractive than Kirk. Does that count? :lol:
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli