Highest attendance for a Co-Event

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Highest attendance for a Co-Event

Post by Marc Meakin »

I'm playing in a scrabble tournament with over 160 entrants , so I was interested in what was the biggest attendance for a Countdown event ?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Re: Highest attendance for a Co-Event

Post by Graeme Cole »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:55 pm I'm playing in a scrabble tournament with over 160 entrants , so I was interested in what was the biggest attendance for a Countdown event ?
Jen's CO:LON events from 2017-2019 consistently hit the high 60s, and I'm pretty certain that no other co-event has ever had that many people. I think the highest CO:LON attendance was 68. I can check more easily when the forum stops complaining about too many active connections.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Found it - CO:LON 2017 has the record with 68 players. CO:LON 2018 had 67 and CO:LON 2019 had 65.

Besides those events, I can't think of any others that got higher than the low-to-mid 50s. The recent Reading event had 53 but I don't think all of them were there at the same time. One of the more recent CO:LON events also got into the 50s, and Zarte's Co:MK events consistently got 52.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Graeme Cole wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:14 pm Found it - CO:LON 2017 has the record with 68 players. CO:LON 2018 had 67 and CO:LON 2019 had 65.

Besides those events, I can't think of any others that got higher than the low-to-mid 50s. The recent Reading event had 53 but I don't think all of them were there at the same time. One of the more recent CO:LON events also got into the 50s, and Zarte's Co:MK events consistently got 52.
I'm guessing event room sizes restrict numbers.
I've checked my Countdown event and there are only 120 players as a lot of African players have had visa issues.
This is a multi-day event but I think there was a 1 day event in Swindon that had over a hundred players
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Graeme Cole wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:14 pm The recent Reading event had 53 but I don't think all of them were there at the same time.
We had 51 registered players. Rachael kindly stepped in to avoid the need for a prune. Two players left after two games - one had an important chess tournament that had come up after registering for Reading, but still wanted to come and play for the first part, the other decided co-events weren't for her. Rachael was tiring after 3 games, so Katy who had come to watch and definitely not play had her arm gently twisted to play the last two, which I'm told she enjoyed very much! So 49 played all 5 games, 1 played 3, and 3 played 2, I think!

But regards numbers, Scrabble has huge international appeal - most people my age had the board game on a shelf somewhere. Considering the relatively small appeal of Countdown, I think it's great that we get so many people who want to come and play. But some of my favourite events are the smaller ones - you get to chat to people and it feels less intense and more social - perhaps something that got lost a bit this year at Reading?