Spoilers for Friday 13th February 2009

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers for Friday 13th February 2009

Post by Matt Morrison »

I've had my weekend ruined by a fascist train ticket seller stopping me going to London.
So this had better be a good game of Countdown. Friday 13th too. Something interesting better happen.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers and comments for Friday 13/02/2009

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kate's favourite place is Pompey? I thought she was a Man City fan.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

R4: dammit was hoping PLEATINGS might be ok.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

R8 equaller for 6: the rather nice ARMOUR
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I'm looking forward to the spectacular thing that Kate was hinting at.
Mike Brailsford
Acolyte

Post by Mike Brailsford »

You have WOOFTER as well !
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ben Hunter wrote:I'm looking forward to the spectacular thing that Kate was hinting at.
I wouldn't be surprised if she was referring to POOFTER. But I hope not.
Was hoping I would be able to post that as a beater but trust Kate to find it!
John Douglas
Acolyte

Post by John Douglas »

GLORIAS for R13 is an equaller.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

I thought PLEATINGS would be ok too. Surely you could have dresses with lots of pleatings on them? Oh well, perhaps not. I'd better get myself an OED.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

John Douglas wrote:GLORIAS for R13 is an equaller.
That is Estafantastic. Or it would be if it were allowable. Sorry. Worth remembering as a trigger to GIRASOL though.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

AMPUTATE annoyed me (well it isn't pleasant is it?). I was waiting for another e for amputee, but somehow missed the 8 :oops:
Also, TROOPED hasn't been mentioned yet for the poofter/ woofter round has it?
Well done Kate, though it was an immensely tight finish. Thought it was strange that they didn't show the scores after the last numbers. It must be heart-breaking to lose by a slitary point though. :(
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Matt Morrison wrote:R4: dammit was hoping PLEATINGS might be ok.
Watching now on Ch4+1 (was a good Mum and went to park). I was disappointed noone revealed GENITALS. Have these people forgotton what Countdown's REALLY about?! ;)
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

Kathleen Batlle wrote:I thought PLEATINGS would be ok too. Surely you could have dresses with lots of pleatings on them? Oh well, perhaps not. I'd better get myself an OED.
Isn't it pleats, not pleatings?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:R4: dammit was hoping PLEATINGS might be ok.
Watching now on Ch4+1 (was a good Mum and went to park). I was disappointed noone revealed GENITALS. Have these people forgotton what Countdown's REALLY about?! ;)
Nice one Lesley! Rude (ish) words score double points so best spot of the day, well done! :)
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Naomi Laddiman wrote:
Kathleen Batlle wrote:I thought PLEATINGS would be ok too. Surely you could have dresses with lots of pleatings on them? Oh well, perhaps not. I'd better get myself an OED.
Oh yes, Naomi, you're probably right, I guess I was blown away by the fact that I'd actually 'found' a 9-letter word and didn't think about it properly. I'm pretty sure I would describe a dress as having lots of pleats on it. It has made me realise that I really need an OED ..... I'm off to Amazon right now!
Rufus Frog

Post by Rufus Frog »

Kathleen Batlle wrote:
Naomi Laddiman wrote:
Oh yes, Naomi, you're probably right, I guess I was blown away by the fact that I'd actually 'found' a 9-letter word and didn't think about it properly. I'm pretty sure I would describe a dress as having lots of pleats on it. It has made me realise that I really need an OED ..... I'm off to Amazon right now!
N.B. As an alternative to buying an actual dictionary, many county libraries now have subscriptions to 'Oxford reference online' which their members can use for free.

I was hoping for SPELATING (=caving) but evidently I just made that up. I (eventually) came up with a round-the-houses 3rd numbers solution: (((9x5)+25-8)x10)-4; Rachel's way was a lot more straightforward.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Rufus Frog wrote:I was hoping for SPELATING (=caving) but evidently I just made that up.
You were probably thinking of "spelunking". I remember being overjoyed at spotting SPELUNKER in this game a couple of years ago - a word that came flooding back to me as a relic of all those years spent playing Adventure.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Get in!!! I got a max game (15/15) watching today's show, which I've never been able to do sitting at home watching the TV (i.e. excluding apterous). Friday 13th to boot - I feel happy.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Nah I didn't max, I missed quite a lot. I did my own bit of poetry though, the title is STEALING PLEASING GENITALS.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Martin Gardner wrote:Nah I didn't max, I missed quite a lot. I did my own bit of poetry though, the title is STEALING PLEASING GENITALS.
I think PLEATING PLEASING GENITALS would possibly be more fun though. Depends if stealing would involve messy castrations.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Matt Morrison wrote:I've had my weekend ruined by a fascist train ticket seller stopping me going to London.
So this had better be a good game of Countdown. Friday 13th too. Something interesting better happen.
I love people whom buy train tickets Matt. It pays for my Pension.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

George Jenkins wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I've had my weekend ruined by a fascist train ticket seller stopping me going to London.
I love people whom buy train tickets Matt. It pays for my Pension.
I wanted to buy one, believe me! Grrr....
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Kathleen Batlle wrote:Oh yes, Naomi, you're probably right
ICDWTP

PS. I found GENITALS today somewhere.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
ICDWTP

That's called puberty Kai.

[comment: that joke was poor]
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Martin Gardner wrote:Nah I didn't max, I missed quite a lot. I did my own bit of poetry though, the title is STEALING PLEASING GENITALS.
In fact I haven't worked out the score, but I think you beat me, Kate. I had GLORIAS disallowed for example, thinking it was slightly more plausible than GIRASOL, which I thought always needed an E at the end.
Kate Richardson
Rookie

Post by Kate Richardson »

thanks martin, all i can remember about this programme is, dying to go for a pee but being too polite to ask, gelatins ? stealing seemed a better bet, and having a horrible poofter/woofter dilemma, which word will make me less hated by the gay community ? If i go to tea shops will i get pelted with rock buns by old age pensioners ? if i go to gay bars will i get refused entry ? what's a girl to do ? luckily i had a bet on with a bloke from work, he said, if you see a risque word play it, he a cheeky bugger in every sense of the word so i did, and i went for the tough word to cut down on sub-homophobic bullying, little did i know they cut out most things (including the rather sweet birthday greetings to a certain grandson) so i needed to worry in a different way. But then monday is the first day of the week.....By the way i hate the word poofter like i hate the word queer, nasty, bulling little words that have found their way into language...how do we get words removed from the OED ?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kate Richardson wrote:By the way i hate the word poofter like i hate the word queer, nasty, bulling little words that have found their way into language...how do we get words removed from the OED ?
Those words were invented exactly to upset the people they refer to, so you're totally playing into the hands of homophobic bullies by saying things like this.

Also, what is sub-homophobia?
Kate Richardson
Rookie

ok charlie homophobic words
poofter, queer, fucking dyke,you know the sort of words thrown at you when you are walking down the street thinking i'm going to get a bottle in my neck if i'm not careful.....

sub-homophobic words (my category)
woolly woofter, nancy boy, lezza

insults you can banter with but hopefully will not mean that you'll end up in the canal

why do you need this to be so explicit ?

lots of love

kate you know that nice woman who likes jam and baking who lives with that lovely blind woman who works for the shop workers union

maybe you need to ask yourself why we need to spell this out, rather than ""it's just a phase" lol does anyone you this still", well my mother did
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Kate Richardson wrote:ok charlie homophobic words
poofter, queer, fucking dyke,you know the sort of words thrown at you when you are walking down the street thinking i'm going to get a bottle in my neck if i'm not careful.....

sub-homophobic words (my category)
woolly woofter, nancy boy, lezza

insults you can banter with but hopefully will not mean that you'll end up in the canal

why do you need this to be so explicit ?
Y'see, I'm a poofter and I didn't understand what you were talking about. But thanks for the explanation.
Kate Richardson
Rookie

i thought i was playing countdown not the moral maze! but that game it felt like it
Kate Richardson
Rookie

by the way, matt, why ever go to london on a whim surely one has an extremely efficient administrator (like me) to arrange ones journeys for one.

or maybe one is slightly more prepared ???

heaven forfend !
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:
ICDWTP
That's called puberty Kai.
[comment: that joke was poor]
But it was a joke none the less, Martin. :lol: I sellotaped my mouth to resist any of the jokes I was thinking of. :?

Sorry Kai. ;)
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Kate Richardson wrote:ok charlie homophobic words
poofter, queer,
Is queer regarded as homophobic then? I know that if you define it as being poorly and not right, then it's wrong to use it in the sense of thinking someone who's gay is sick. :x But, what about Russell T Davies using it in the title 'Queer as Folk' which I know is a play on the expression, but none the less...
Genuinely curious as I know gay blokes who use the word queer, so I assumed it wasn't an issue. :|
Steven Tew
Rookie

Post by Steven Tew »

Surely it's about context in the end. "Queer" has a meaning other than that of a homophobic taunt, just as the word "gay" has a meaning in no way related to sexuality. "Poofter" means what it says and is offensive when used to label or taunt someone because of their sexuality or demeanour. However, words themselves are morally neutral, and in the context of a word game, or, indeed, a dictionary, they are not there to offend but merely to play the game or define the word. Who wants a dictionary where you can't look up words to see what they mean, be they offensive or not? And if it bags you seven points in a game of Countdown, who is the worse off for that? Banning words from the dictionary would only serve the purposes of the suppressor. Read your Orwell.

Well played again, Kate, by the way.
Kate Richardson
Rookie

As someone who the local lads on an estate I used live on would shout out "paedophile" to (among other things) as I walked down the street believe me lesley queer is most definitely a homophobic word. Lesbians and gay men very rarely muse on semantics when their heads are being kicked in. Like all other words it needs to be looked at in context. I hope this gives everyone some insight as to how difficult it was to play such a disgusting word like poofter and why I hurried away from a giggly, less painful word like woofter ....the programme was edited differently however....and I hate to see myself grinning broadly when I say the word and that's about it. The production team have chosen to edit out the very emphatic "yes" i say when susie mentions that both are derogatory terms.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Sheesh, I got 14/15 maxes. Missed the conundrum, not helped by the fact that my flatmate blurted it out after 2 seconds. I'm plotting my revenge.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

At home, I spotted POOFTER and some other seven letter word straight away. An opportunity to say a rude word on national TV! But should you use the other one in deference to Kate? But should her presence make a difference? If it does, does that imply you have some objection to (now I'm not entirely sure what to call them)? Etcetera, etcetera. And then you gave the word yourself!

FWIW, Kate, I thought you came over fine. Rising above it, it's only a word, without concealing your distaste. We got a sixty second mini-opportunity to consider issues, examine attitudes. And the word I'll associate with you in future is still THEROPODS.

David
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Steven, I like your post.

Kate, thanks for clearing that up. What the f*ck re the "paedophile" shouts though?! Just shows how stupidly formed some people's opinions are. Sorry they edited out Susie and your responses. Yes, if it's a 'good' word declare it - I'd certainly declare SLAUGHTER for nine even though they'd edit out the f*&£'s and the c@$"!s I'd follow it with. ;)

Junaid, I really think you should apply - you'd be great! :mrgreen:
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:Junaid, I really think you should apply - you'd be great! :mrgreen:
That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me, like, ever :D However I'm fairly certain that if I was allowed a 3rd shot, Joseph Bolas would kill me. Or himself.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me, like, ever :D
So you were ignoring me in the Green Room :evil:
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:Is queer regarded as homophobic then? [...] Genuinely curious as I know gay blokes who use the word queer, so I assumed it wasn't an issue. :|
"Queer" is sometimes thought of as one of those terms of abuse that's been "reclaimed" by the community it was originally coined to demonise. So, in much the same way as "nigger" is considered offensive except (supposedly) when used by young black males to address one another, so "queer" is considered a term of abuse when aimed at gay people but not when used by them. I'm not sure I've ever been entirely convinced by the argument myself.

One of the best ripostes I ever read to yet another tabloid hack whining about "the homosexual community robbing the rest of us of such a lovely, useful little word as gay" was a letter that followed one such attack that said simply: "If you let us keep the word gay, you can have back all those other useful little words like fairy, fag, faggot, fruit, bender, queen, queer, nancy and pansy - we've finished with them thank you."
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Junaid Mubeen wrote:That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me, like, ever :D
So you were ignoring me in the Green Room :evil:
You were in the green room?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Get in!!! I got a max game (15/15) watching today's show, which I've never been able to do sitting at home watching the TV (i.e. excluding apterous). Friday 13th to boot - I feel happy.
i.e. excluding Apterous - and your real appearances? ;)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Get in!!! I got a max game (15/15) watching today's show, which I've never been able to do sitting at home watching the TV (i.e. excluding apterous). Friday 13th to boot - I feel happy.
He definitely maxed a nine round game at a CO-event, mind you.

And yes Kate, it was a high quality game throughout, I thought. Not sure if you'll become an Octochamp but I can see you winning five or six and making the quarter-finals. We'll see.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Haha I knew the Gevin police would be on the case. Stop reading into things that aren't there.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Lesley Jones wrote:Is queer regarded as homophobic then? [...] Genuinely curious as I know gay blokes who use the word queer, so I assumed it wasn't an issue. :|
"Queer" is sometimes thought of as one of those terms of abuse that's been "reclaimed" by the community it was originally coined to demonise. So, in much the same way as "nigger" is considered offensive except (supposedly) when used by young black males to address one another, so "queer" is considered a term of abuse when aimed at gay people but not when used by them. I'm not sure I've ever been entirely convinced by the argument myself.

One of the best ripostes I ever read to yet another tabloid hack whining about "the homosexual community robbing the rest of us of such a lovely, useful little word as gay" was a letter that followed one such attack that said simply: "If you let us keep the word gay, you can have back all those other useful little words like fairy, fag, faggot, fruit, bender, queen, queer, nancy and pansy - we've finished with them thank you."
Unfortunately, history has shown that "minorities" will always be persecuted, just by being different, and my understanding of the word "queer" is being different from the norm. Nature is not an exact science and I have always considered Homosexuals as suffering from a trick of Nature. I have to be careful not to appear patronising, but I would much rather have a Homosexual friend whom is a gentleman, than a heterosexual braggart boring me with his sexual conquests.
I am a bit uneasy at the way that a few of your contributions talk to the young women on these pages. Their obscene language and utter disrespect to them makes me wonder about their sexual leanings. My apologies to them if I am wrong in my estimation.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

I think I'm a bit out of my depth here and probably only George will understand what I'm talking about when I explain that in my young days something queer was something a bit odd, definitely not homosexual, and a gay person was a happy, jolly person. I don't get it, when did it all change and I wonder what has become of my junior school friend whose first Christian name was Gay? Life changes, I guess, and I'm having a problem keeping up!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kathleen Batlle wrote:I think I'm a bit out of my depth here and probably only George will understand what I'm talking about when I explain that in my young days something queer was something a bit odd, definitely not homosexual, and a gay person was a happy, jolly person. I don't get it, when did it all change and I wonder what has become of my junior school friend whose first Christian name was Gay? Life changes, I guess, and I'm having a problem keeping up!
"queer" has always been another word for "weird" even if it now also means homosexual. "gay" is rarely happy or jolly nowadays but "queer" remains "weird" even if it's not quite as common as before.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:But, what about Russell T Davies using it in the title 'Queer as Folk' which I know is a play on the expression, but none the less...
Don't know who Russell T. Davies is, but I do know the expression "queer as folk" as it is normally used has absolutely nothing to do with homosexuality. In full, it's "there's nowt so queer as folk", and today it still means exactly what it has meant since long before homosexuality was spoken about in public.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

When did "grails" become acceptable? It's always been disallowed when I've heard it before, presumably it's got into the NODE2 with a lower case g?
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

David Roe wrote: Don't know who Russell T. Davies is, but I do know the expression "queer as folk" as it is normally used has absolutely nothing to do with homosexuality. In full, it's "there's nowt so queer as folk", and today it still means exactly what it has meant since long before homosexuality was spoken about in public.
You are a bit innocent aren't you David!! Russell T Davies is a playwright best known currently for bringing back 'Doctor Who' to the BBC after a lengthy gap. About ten years ago he wrote a series about homesexual goings-on in Manchester and wanted to call it "Queer as Fuck" but C4 wouldn't let him so he settled for "Queer as Folk" but everybody knew what the title really meant.

Well, almost everybody.
Kate Richardson
Rookie

I'm going to do a bit of research into the history of words like "queer" and "gay" before i post again. But i am going to post on this subject, looking forward to it (I once helped bring together a group of learning disabled adults who identified as lesbian or gay, the title they chose for they're group was GAY2, or "good as you too")
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Chris Corby wrote:You are a bit innocent aren't you David!! Russell T Davies is a playwright best known currently for bringing back 'Doctor Who' to the BBC after a lengthy gap. About ten years ago he wrote a series about homesexual goings-on in Manchester and wanted to call it "Queer as Fuck" but C4 wouldn't let him so he settled for "Queer as Folk" but everybody knew what the title really meant.

Well, almost everybody.
Maybe I ought to see more pornographic plays.

What I was trying to say was that I hadn't heard of Russell Davies (and that doesn't seem to be any loss IMO) and so I don't know what he meant; but that the expression "queer as folk" is still used today in its original meaning and long pre-dates "queer" being used to mean homosexual.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

I can't help but feel that a lot of time and posts would be saved if you'd simply spotted TORPEDO, Kate.
Kate Richardson
Rookie

junaid
i did not see anything else, just like i really wrote down theropods straightaway.

my dilemma was do i play poofter or woofter, sod the weapons of mass destruction, whats a girl to do ?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Kate Richardson wrote:junaid
i did not see anything else, just like i really wrote down theropods straightaway.

my dilemma was do i play poofter or woofter, sod the weapons of mass destruction, whats a girl to do ?
My dilemma would be do I play POOFTER or its anagram FORETOP? Do I go for the laughs and youtube action or do I go for a smart word that not many people will have offered before?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

David Roe wrote:What I was trying to say was that I hadn't heard of Russell Davies (and that doesn't seem to be any loss IMO) and so I don't know what he meant; but that the expression "queer as folk" is still used today in its original meaning and long pre-dates "queer" being used to mean homosexual.
Yes, David, Lesley was well aware of that, which is why she said that Russell's use of it as the title of the TV series was "a play on the expression". And what on earth do "pornographic plays" have to do with any of this?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kate Richardson wrote:As someone who the local lads on an estate I used live on would shout out "paedophile" to (among other things) as I walked down the street believe me lesley queer is most definitely a homophobic word. Lesbians and gay men very rarely muse on semantics when their heads are being kicked in. Like all other words it needs to be looked at in context. I hope this gives everyone some insight as to how difficult it was to play such a disgusting word like poofter and why I hurried away from a giggly, less painful word like woofter ....the programme was edited differently however....and I hate to see myself grinning broadly when I say the word and that's about it. The production team have chosen to edit out the very emphatic "yes" i say when susie mentions that both are derogatory terms.
You seem determined to misunderstand everything I say, presumably lest I contradict your image of this forum as occupied by a bunch of rampant homophobes. As anyone who actually knows me at all can tell you, you couldn't be more wrong. I won't make the mistake of replying to your illiterate ramblings again.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kate Richardson wrote:As someone who the local lads on an estate I used live on would shout out "paedophile" to (among other things) as I walked down the street believe me lesley queer is most definitely a homophobic word. Lesbians and gay men very rarely muse on semantics when their heads are being kicked in. Like all other words it needs to be looked at in context. I hope this gives everyone some insight as to how difficult it was to play such a disgusting word like poofter and why I hurried away from a giggly, less painful word like woofter ....the programme was edited differently however....and I hate to see myself grinning broadly when I say the word and that's about it. The production team have chosen to edit out the very emphatic "yes" i say when susie mentions that both are derogatory terms.
You seem determined to misunderstand everything I say, presumably lest I contradict your image of this forum as occupied by a bunch of rampant homophobes. As anyone who actually knows me at all can tell you, you couldn't be more wrong. I won't make the mistake of replying to your illiterate ramblings again.
stfu homophone
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Not sure what you can do about Charlie, but you could sue Soo. Bloody homophone.