Is it OK to........

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Is it OK to........

Post by Marc Meakin »

The ginger stepson of "Unpopular opinions you genuinely hold".for example :
Is it OK to say Rosie Jones isn't funny, without getting accused of being ableist.?

To do honest charity work and say it makes you feel good about yourself rather than its completely altruistic without being accused of smugness?
Edit below
To say shoehorning people of colour in unrealisticly lofty heights in the police force for example just to tick a diversity box, ion a TV drama is wrong without being called a racist?

To criticise what Mary Earps was wearing during SPOTY without being accused of misogyny?
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Phil H
Acolyte

Re: Is it OK to........

Post by Phil H »

Ultimately, we all have to decide for ourselves what is and isn't OK, and can't control anyone else's reaction.

#2 to me seems not only OK but healthy and I'd like to think most people would agree. #3 seems on the other hand to be at best based on false or exaggerated information, and at worst could be taken to imply that only white people could really be qualified for certain senior positions - though I doubt you actually meant the latter.

I'd point out that in the UK, it's just as illegal for recruiters to discriminate against white people and men as it is to discriminate against (for e,g,) women of colour, so I don't see how a police force could have a literal quota even if it wanted to (also unlikely). Some have stated they aspire for their workforce to be more diverse, or been criticised for a lack of change in this area, but they can't reserve certain positions for certain categories of people or ban white men from their next X number of vacancies.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Though not a workforce thing, Labour has used all-woman shortlists for MP candidates in some constituencies.
Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:13 am
To criticise what Mary Earps was wearing during SPOTY without being accused of misogyny?
SPOTY completely passed me by, but there are certain things in life where there are differences in how things are treated if it's a man or a woman. It's unlikely to get as much backlash if you criticise what a man is wearing. But maybe we shouldn't need to criticise these things in general.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil H wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:10 pm Ultimately, we all have to decide for ourselves what is and isn't OK, and can't control anyone else's reaction.

#2 to me seems not only OK but healthy and I'd like to think most people would agree. #3 seems on the other hand to be at best based on false or exaggerated information, and at worst could be taken to imply that only white people could really be qualified for certain senior positions - though I doubt you actually meant the latter.

I'd point out that in the UK, it's just as illegal for recruiters to discriminate against white people and men as it is to discriminate against (for e,g,) women of colour, so I don't see how a police force could have a literal quota even if it wanted to (also unlikely). Some have stated they aspire for their workforce to be more diverse, or been criticised for a lack of change in this area, but they can't reserve certain positions for certain categories of people or ban white men from their next X number of vacancies.
I've edited my OP as I was referring to TV dramas and not the real world 😳.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:16 pm Though not a workforce thing, Labour has used all-woman shortlists for MP candidates in some constituencies.
Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:13 am
SPOTY completely passed me by, but there are certain things in life where there are differences in how things are treated if it's a man or a woman. It's unlikely to get as much backlash if you criticise what a man is wearing. But maybe we shouldn't need to criticise these things in general.
I believe David Beckham sarong was equally criticised a few years ago
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:53 pm
Phil H wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:10 pm Ultimately, we all have to decide for ourselves what is and isn't OK, and can't control anyone else's reaction.

I really don't understand what you mean then - are you saying that having a black person in charge in a tv drama is an "unrealistically lofty height"? If so then yeah, that does sound racist
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fiona T wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:29 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:53 pm

I really don't understand what you mean then - are you saying that having a black person in charge in a tv drama is an "unrealistically lofty height"? If so then yeah, that does sound racist
It may sound racist but my brother in law, from the Caribbean found it illarious that a black woman was the chief of the Metropolitan police, in a crime drama we watched recently I feel, rightly or wrongly it is not a realistic representation of reality