CO:OX - 15th June 2024

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
darren godfrey

CO:OX - 15th June 2024

Post by darren godfrey »

Getting in super early here, but I'm choosing to follow Fiona's shining example and looking to help folk secure slightly cheaper accommodation :D

June 2024 will see the city of dreaming spires welcome Countdown enthusiasts from far and wide, as part of a jam-packed FOCAL calendar. Join me, your friendly neighbourhood baldy, for some fun with letters, numbers and conundrums!

Date & Time

Saturday, June 15th, 2024
Doors open: 10:15am
First round draw: 10:50am
First round games start: 11am

The Venue

St Clements Centre
Map

The venue is wheelchair accessible. There will be a small kitchen available for making beverages, filling water bottles and the like. We will have the main hall for the event, and while some of the other smaller rooms at the Centre may also be booked on the day, this should not interfere with our event.

Logistics

Located just outside of the city centre, the venue is a short bus ride away from Oxford rail station and Gloucester Green bus station. If you'd prefer to drive, there are a number of parking spaces available at the Centre. Or if you'd prefer, you can park at Redbridge Park and Ride, and take a bus from there.

Accommodation

There are numerous hotels within easy reach of the venue and city centre.

The Premier Inn Oxford Cowley Hotel is a short walk and bus ride from the venue, while the Ramada Oxford M40 and the Travelodges at Peartree, Wheatley and Abingdon Road are relatively close, decent and shouldn't break the bank.

Format

Rather than come up with a zany new Oxford format, we'll go with the classic Lincoln-style. 3 to a table, with a random draw for the first round of games. We'll have three rounds (one before lunch, two after), with the latter two rounds drawn based on the league table.

However, to put my own little spin on it, we will then have two 9-round Bristol-style semi-finals (1st v 4th, 2nd v 3rd) played simultaneously to decide who will contest the 15-round final. At the same time, everyone else will get to play one last game, against the person next to them in the standings. So, 5th v 6th, and so on.

During the lunch break, there will be something quizzy going on for those interested! :geek:

Feeding & Watering

There are a number of shops and well-known fast food chains a 5-10 minute walk from the venue for folks to grab a bite at lunchtime. Snacks will also be provided during the day.

Evening food and entertainment are still TBD, but the area close to the venue has an abundance of restaurants and bars. I'm currently considering booking out some space at The Mad Hatter, as it does have a function room where we can karaoke the night away ;)

Alternatively, we can all head to one of the local pubs to watch football (Spain v Croatia kicks off at 5, and is followed by Italy v Albania).

Making a weekend of it

For those who are planning to travel in on the Friday, and would like to meet up, we can head here for a bite to eat and a few drinks. There is also the option to find a pub somewhere showing the footy - Euro 2024 kicks off that Friday evening, with Germany playing Scotland.

Depending on the weather, possible options for the Sunday are:

- Punting on the Thames
- A walk and possible kickabout in one of the University parks
- A trip to the Castle area (there's a prison, and a hill to climb - more interesting than I'm making it sound)
- Junkyard golf

There are also some cool museums and other things if we're forced indoors.

What's Next?

Sound like your cup of tea? Splendid. Fire over £12 via one of the links below (or if you need an alternative way to pay, drop me a message) and I'll add you to the list.

Paypal
Monzo

One last thing...

June 15th, 2024 will be my 43rd birthday. :!:

Since 43 is somewhat overly ambitious for entrants, and 4x3=12, let's say that the person who finishes 12th will have their entry fee refunded. There will also be cake.

I look forward to welcoming you to CO:OX in the new year!

***ENTRIES***

Confirmed

1. MSR (paid)
2. James Robinson (paid)
3. Fiona T (paid)
4. Mike Lee (paid)
5. Adam Dexter (paid)
6. Richard Priest (paid)
7. Phil Stanton (paid)
8. Mark Murray (paid)
9. David Hilton (paid)
10. Bradley Horrocks (paid)
11. Ben Leyburn (paid)
12. Harry Savage (paid)
13. Adam Beach (paid)
14. Ian Wray (paid)
15. Adam Latchford (paid)
16. Coral Heath (paid)
17. TCap (paid)

NOTE: All event organisers and attendees are bound by the FOCAL Code of Conduct
Last edited by darren godfrey on Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Re: CO:OX - 15th June 2024

Post by Graeme Cole »

darren godfrey wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:15 pm However, to put my own little spin on it, we will then have two 9-round Bristol-style semi-finals (1st v 4th, 2nd v 3rd) played simultaneously to decide who will contest the 15-round final.
How is 3rd/4th place decided? Do the losing semi-finalists play along with the final as a 3rd/4th place playoff?
darren godfrey wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:15 pm At the same time, everyone else will get to play one last game, against the person next to them in the standings. So, 5th v 6th, and so on.
If there's an odd number of players, who has to sit out? The obvious answer is the person in last place, but then that person not only comes last with no hope of moving up a place, but also has to sit there doing nothing while everyone else in the room gets to play a final game. Perhaps it should be the person in 5th, who would naturally be more agreeable to sitting out the final round?
darren godfrey

Post by darren godfrey »

I like your idea for the 3rd / 4th place playoff playalong. Let's go with that.

As for if we have an odd number, the person in last place can choose between playing against 'Prune', or the lovely Rachael Montgomery. Or, they can have the honour of being in charge of the selections. As long as they still have fun, I don't mind what they choose.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

darren godfrey wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:15 pm However, to put my own little spin on it, we will then have two 9-round Bristol-style semi-finals (1st v 4th, 2nd v 3rd) played simultaneously to decide who will contest the 15-round final. At the same time, everyone else will get to play one last game, against the person next to them in the standings. So, 5th v 6th, and so on.
Cool idea! Did you think about just making this 7th game of the day like any other heat game? I.e. everybody plays 6 Colin Style games + 1 Bristol style game. All games drawn from atropine and count towards final rankings in the same way.

It actually ends up being very similar to what you describe, however has 2 big advantages:
- No rematches possible except for Grand final
- Everybody has more to play for their in the final game than a single placing up or down.
- A final chance for players to rebalance some "tough draw" bad luck.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

JackHurst wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:03 am
darren godfrey wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:15 pm However, to put my own little spin on it, we will then have two 9-round Bristol-style semi-finals (1st v 4th, 2nd v 3rd) played simultaneously to decide who will contest the 15-round final. At the same time, everyone else will get to play one last game, against the person next to them in the standings. So, 5th v 6th, and so on.
Cool idea! Did you think about just making this 7th game of the day like any other heat game? I.e. everybody plays 6 Colin Style games + 1 Bristol style game. All games drawn from atropine and count towards final rankings in the same way.

It actually ends up being very similar to what you describe, however has 2 big advantages:
- No rematches possible except for Grand final
- Everybody has more to play for their in the final game than a single placing up or down.
- A final chance for players to rebalance some "tough draw" bad luck.
Come to think of it, Darren never actually said each pair would only be playing for a single placing up or down. Maybe we both just assumed that because some other event has done that in the past. It could be that the seventh game counts towards the standings like everything else.
darren godfrey

Post by darren godfrey »

A few updates:

1) Format (thank you Jack and Graeme for the input!) - once all 6 Lincoln-style games have taken place, the 7th game will be Bristol-style (big screen) using Fiona's RoboR***y software with the top 4 contesting the semis. Everyone else will play along at the same time, with this 7th game (drawn by Atropine) counting towards final standings. The final will then take place, with the 3rd / 4th place game happening just behind using the same selections.

2) For the evening meal, I will try to book a table here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/J1LWSPBNSNhBr2A47

Please let me know here or on the corresponding Facebook post if you'd like to come along.

3) Parkrunners - there are several options within a few miles of the venue, however the closest is the Oxford University Parks one: https://www.parkrun.org.uk/universityparks/

4) Oxford's South Park is very close to the venue. If the weather is nice, and given the amount of footy love we saw at Reading, a group of us *could* head over and play a little game (in place of a lunchtime quiz). Just something to keep in mind if you want to bring items to 'freshen up' before the afternoon games start!

If the quiz ends up being a more inclusive option for everyone than footy, I'll run that and others can have a kickabout without me...*sad face*

5) Sadly, the Mad Hatter only does karaoke on Thursdays, so for those hanging around after the meal we'll just head to a pub nearby to watch the footy. Cape of Good Hope probably. After that there are a couple of cocktail bars nearby 🥴