Countdown+Quiz Braintree: Saturday 4th November 2023

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Jeff Clayton Quiz

Countdown+Quiz Braintree: Saturday 4th November 2023

Post by Jeff Clayton Quiz »

FOCAL returns for the fourth time to the Essex market town of Braintree on Saturday 4th November.

Rachel, Tim and Jeff will be back with another instalment of Countdown and quizzing in the main hall at Church House (CM7 1EY), next to St Michael’s Church.

Date: Saturday 4th November 2023.

Start time: Doors open 10:30 for draw at 11:15.

Games to be played: 5 games of Countdown and 4 rounds of Quiz.

Hosted by: Rachel Perkins, Tim Goaté and Jeff Clayton.

Venue: Church House, next to St Michael’s Church, Braintree, CM7 1EY (Google Maps link).

Wheelchair accessible?: Yes

Price: £12 per person or £20 for two or £10pp in groups -- payment preferably by PayPal, please.

Parking on site? No. Please use a nearby car park, such as at Braintree railway station, all of which are chargeable.

Refreshments provided? Tea, coffee, soft drinks, fruit and biscuits will be available free of charge from the kitchen.
Lunch is not provided but you are welcome to bring or buy your own food & drink.

Finish time: 18:00.

Accommodation available? Yes – the nearest options are the Travelodge and the White Hart, both in Braintree town centre; other guesthouses and hotels are also available nearby (please enquire).

Train connections: Braintree station – direct service from London Liverpool Street, or change at Witham off main line services from Ipswich and Norwich.

Bus connections: First 70 from Chelmsford, First X20 from Colchester, Arriva 133 or First X20 from Stansted Airport. The current £2 fare cap on most single bus fares will become £2.50 at the beginning of November, and all of these services should still be eligible. Please check with the operator before travelling (or ask us).

You may remember an interactive quiz last year during the lunch break. Well this year, we’re turning up the quiz!

Everyone plays five 14-round games of Countdown (8L 4N 2C) alternating with four rounds of The Big Weekend Quiz — an exciting new format which is part pub quiz, part game show. You play Countdown in pairs (Bristol format), and everyone will be in teams for the Quiz. You play both with a basic pen-and-paper (a Captain represents each team in the Quiz), and we have all the graphics on our big screen.

You'll be drawn at random for each of the five games of Countdown. Note: only the results of these will count towards the FOCAL league standings. For the first time this year, there won’t be a Grand Final as we want to give more time to both Countdown and quizzing for everyone to enjoy.

At the start of the day, everyone will also be drawn at random into teams of 4, 5 or 6 (depending on exact numbers) for four rounds of our Quiz. We believe a good quiz question is both well written and well structured – we’ll explain everything on the day. There’s also a timed question at the end of every round with bonus points up for grabs! Your admission fee includes both Countdown and our Quiz.

Getting to the venue

If you’re coming by car, chargeable parking is available nearby at the railway station (CM7 3QL). Alternatively, use the George Yard Shopping Centre multi-storey (CM7 1GF – £6.00, locked at 19:30). Allow 10-15 minutes to walk to/from either. We have set the start and end times of the event around the trains.

If you’re coming from Stansted or Colchester, there’s a new hourly express bus X20 serving Braintree which stops near the tournament venue in the town centre.

When do I need to be there?

Doors open from 10:30, and you can enjoy a hot or cold drink from the kitchen before we get underway at 11:15. After introductions, we’ll generate a random draw for the first matches. Feel free to bring your own notepad, notebook, scrap paper etc and a few decent pens.

How do the Countdown matches work?

All matches will consist of 14 rounds — eight letters games, four numbers games and two conundrums (LLNLLNCLLNLLNC).

The hosts will split the presenting duties between them and each match plays out just as you see on the telly, with the aim of making the day as interactive and as enjoyable as possible.

Everyone will play five matches — there is no knockout phase — and everyone will have the opportunity to pick the letters throughout the day.
You will be able to choose your numbers in your pairs, twice each in every match (we’ll explain how).

At the conundrum, the clock starts when the scramble is revealed on the screen. When you’ve got the answer, tap your table (lightly!) to indicate to your opponent that you are buzzing in, then promptly write down and conceal your declaration. The full 30 seconds will run for the benefit of everyone in the room, so the second player should still attempt to solve it — you never know, the first player may have got it wrong! In case of a dead heat, we can provide a tie-break conundrum to decide a winner.

At the end of each game of Countdown, all the hosts will need from you is the final score from your pair.

You will very likely be paired with different people throughout the day who you haven’t met before. Everyone is in the room to play Countdown, of course, and a little common courtesy will go a long away.

We play in good faith, and we trust you to keep score as the game goes along. For anything you can’t agree in your pair, there is time to flag queries at the end of every round – for whether a word is valid, or a numbers solve is right, etc.

What about breaks in between?

There will be a break for lunch at about 12:30 — you can either bring your own food, or take a stroll towards Sainsbury’s, Tesco or the High Street — but please, take the time to recharge between matches, too. The kitchen will be stocked with drinks and light snacks, toilets are available and you can always step outside for some fresh air. If you need to make or take a phone call, we would just ask that you wait until the end of the match in play.

If you need to disclose anything in confidence, please just let Jeff or Rachel know.

What happens at the end?

We round the day off by 18:00 with the presentation of the trophies to our Countdown winner and high flyers, plus prizes to the winning Quiz team. If you need to get away sharpish, there is a train from Braintree station at 18:00.

Outline timetable for the day (subject to minor changes):

10:30 Doors open – please register when you arrive, then settle in and help yourself to tea, coffee, soft drinks and snacks from the kitchen.
11:15 Welcome, followed by team draws for the Quiz and the first round draws for Countdown.
11:30 Round 1: Countdown then Quiz
12:30 Lunchtime
13:30 Round 2: Countdown then Quiz
14:30 Short break
14:45 Round 3: Countdown then Quiz
15:45 Short break
16:00 Round 4: Countdown then Quiz
17:00 Round 5: Countdown
17:40 Prize giving
18:00 End

Payment

You can book your place with host Jeff using PayPal:

£12 per person for an individual booking;
£20 for two;
If you wish to book a larger group, please email Jeff to advise numbers (£10pp).

Please remember to select the “family/friends” option, as your contribution is voluntary to help cover Jeff’s personal costs of organising the event. Once all reasonable expenses have been met, any surplus will be donated to St. Michael’s Church.

What’s happening in the evenings?

Jeff will arrange group bookings at two different restaurants in the town centre for the Friday and Saturday nights. Interested? Let Jeff know if you want a seat at the table!

What about staying over?

Well, why not make a weekend of it — a new Travelodge opened in the town centre last year. There is also accommodation at the White Hart (Greene King). Out-of-town, you have a selection of farmhouses and old inns offering accommodation in the countryside around Braintree, as well as two Premier Inns and a Holiday Inn Express next to the A120. Please check with individual venues about chargeable parking. We would recommend arranging taxis to get to/from the town centre if you’re not coming by car.

Any questions?

Either post here, or email jeffclaytonquiz@gmail.com.

Attending or organising a FOCAL event is subject to the FOCAL Code of Conduct.

External web links and other details are provided in good faith in advance, and will be checked regularly, but please take care to cross-check them for your own assurance. If you find anything to be incorrect, please let us know. Thanks!

— Rachel, Tim and Jeff.
Last edited by Jeff Clayton Quiz on Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff Clayton Quiz

Re: Countdown+Quiz Braintree: Saturday 4th November 2023

Just a reminder that we're open for sign-ups, and we've already persuaded some new faces to come and see how this all works!

£12 each or £20 for two; full details above; email/PayPal jeffclaytonquiz@gmail.com .

Once again Braintree will be the last qualifying event on the Focal circuit for the year before the finals in Milton Keynes (three weeks later on 25th November).

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff Clayton Quiz

Hi everyone,

Braintree is just five weeks away now, and we have reserved dinner tables at:
- a Turkish restaurant on Friday 3rd November for 19:00, and
- a Nepalese restaurant on Saturday 4th November for 19:30.

Please let me know if you would like a seat at either or both (or neither 😆) and I'll give you the rest of the details.

Enquiries and PayPal: jeffclaytonquiz@gmail.com. Full event details are further up this thread.

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff Clayton Quiz

Quick update with three weeks to go -- we have 12 confirmed sign-ups and 5 maybes. Some of them are new faces, not all of them use this forum, and I know some of you are waiting on things like further dates for railway strikes to be announced before committing. As ever, do get in touch with any queries.

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff Clayton Quiz

Just a word to say the deadline for announcing a rail strike on Saturday 4th November has been and gone.

There are also no planned engineering works between London and Braintree on Saturday 4th (or on Friday 3rd, or on Sunday 5th). For those of you planning longer journeys with connections, please check with your operators.

We currently have 20 sign-ups, some of whom will be making their début on the 2023 Focal circuit, and some will be attending a Focal event for the first time!

I also still have seats available at the dinners on Friday 3rd (19:00) and Saturday 4th (19:30) -- no advance charge, you just pay for what you have.

Look forward to seeing lots of you next weekend.

Thanks
Jeff
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Great Notley parkrun for this obviously.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jeff Clayton Quiz wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:28 pm Hi everyone,

Braintree is just five weeks away now, and we have reserved dinner tables at:
- a Turkish restaurant on Friday 3rd November for 19:00, and
- a Nepalese restaurant on Saturday 4th November for 19:30.

Please let me know if you would like a seat at either or both (or neither 😆) and I'll give you the rest of the details.

Enquiries and PayPal: jeffclaytonquiz@gmail.com. Full event details are further up this thread.

Thanks
Jeff
Has it been posted anywhere which restaurants these are?
Jeff Clayton Quiz

Friday 3rd: Mosaic Turkish restaurant, CM7 1UG. Table is booked for 19:00. Meet in The White Hart pub (diagonally opposite) from 18:00.

Saturday 4th: Yak & Yeti Indian/Nepalese restaurant, CM7 3PP. About 15 minutes' walk east of the town centre. Table is booked for 19:30. Suggest usual post-tournament gathering in Wetherspoons and then walk up at 19:10.

Thanks
Jeff
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Thanks.
Jeff Clayton Quiz

Just to say thank you to everyone who came to Essex at the weekend -- I hope you enjoyed both the Countdown and the Quiz, and everything else in between. I was thoroughly exhausted, and I am still buzzing now!

I'd also just like to say a few words on format. Fwiw, my interpretation of the results is there wasn't much between random draws and Swiss pairs after all, and that's a credit to the high standard in the room. Curiosity now satisfied, I'd gladly run the latter.

Secondly, perhaps because I've done and dusted the telly box version of this game, I'm not a purist. I always look forward to and enjoy the tournaments in which I take part, but I also like to channel my energies into devising, writing and presenting events which appeal to a broader range of people. If that adds value to the Focal circuit, and encourages new talent coming through the ranks in playing or in hosting, then I'll happily keep this up.

Jeff
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Thanks for running it Jeff, and to Rachel and Tim.
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Thanks Jeff, was a fun day, and some good imagination in the quiz.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Thanks for organising and running the whole thing Jeff, it was really fun, and the quiz was particularly impressive :)
Jeff Clayton Quiz wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:16 pm I'd also just like to say a few words on format. Fwiw, my interpretation of the results is there wasn't much between random draws and Swiss pairs after all, and that's a credit to the high standard in the room. Curiosity now satisfied, I'd gladly run the latter.
I accept your point that there might not be much in it with results, however I hypothesise that overall enjoyment for this format is lower because of the extra stress / unfairness that the pure random draw can cause. Every Co-Event has randomness in it to some extent, but at least with Swiss, you know roughly what you are in for, and you end up playing players of a similar ability.

Couple of examples from the day:
- One player chose to sit out of the quiz after a tough R1 draw because they wanted to focus on their Countdowning for the day. Maybe with Swiss this player would have been a bit more relaxed, because they know they'll get an easier draw rd2 to recover.
- Two players of the players at the bottom of the leaderboard left early and didn't play their final game of the day. Perhaps in Swiss they would have had easier tables to play on and not become to disheartened. Also am I correct to understand that the 4th round draw had to be repeatedly redrawn until these two players got drawn against each other in rd4? Doesn't that somewhat defeat the point of the random draw if so?

(No criticism intended on these individuals btw. I could have easily seen myself doing the same in those situations)
Jeff Clayton Quiz

Yes, two of the players who turned up to give it a try came to the conclusion, after R3, that Countdown at this level probably wasn't for them -- so, yes, they asked to be paired in R4 and then withdrew, though they stayed with us for the last two instalments of Quiz.

Perhaps they would have had easier draws in Swiss, and then they'd've been drawn together eventually anyway. Or maybe I'd've had to explain to them that I couldn't do anything with the fixtures for R4, and that I couldn't guarantee R5 either, and they'd have walked out completely. I'm reminded of a Leicester event over 10 years ago where a newcomer played the first two games before lunch, lost both of them, and politely but out of the blue came to me and said they felt they needed to leave. You have to be ready to make decisions, quickly: what's best for those individuals concerned, and what you do with the event you haven't yet finished. You'll note, though, we didn't resort to Prunes.

I'm not sure what to make of the other bit. The score was perfectly respectable on both sides and the same draw could easily have happened in R1 in a Swiss. I played the same opponent at London and got my arse handed to me, but I had a great laugh trying. One newbie at Braintree who suffered four losses at the hands of a cross-section of talent had a brilliant time and has promised/threatened to be back. Hypothesise as you will!

Thank you for the kind words regarding the Quiz, and the day overall. I'm glad you enjoyed it and you're more than welcome. I respect the attention to detail and I hope this gives you honest, straightforward answers to your fair and decent queries.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Sounds like a good time was had by all :)

Are the results published anywhere please?
Jeff Clayton Quiz

The league table file on the Focal website has been updated with the final standings from Braintree:
https://focalcountdown.com/leaguetable/