Spoilers for Wednesday 28th June 2023 - Series 87 SF2

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Philip A
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Wednesday 28th June 2023 - Series 87 SF2

Post by Philip A »

R1: GOLDITE

No potashes x.
Series 78 Runner-up
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 28th June 2023 - Series 87 SF2

Post by Toby McDonald »

Very well played Cillian, and unlucky Peter. Really looking forward to tomorrow's game. :)
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Looking forward to the grand final join me for the recap
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Here we are, the second rematch of the Series with Cillian facing against Peter in an all Irish battle, County Tyrone against County Donegal. Colin, don't jinx with your words when you say "Superheroes are meant to die", not every such story has to have a sad ending that will leave people sobbing :shock: Peter now can't deny he hasn't met Cillian now as well can he? :lol: The deficit before was huge back in January, so let's see if Peter can make up some ground even if he doesn't win today!

Letters: Good start in the first third of the show, but it was Peter who took an early lead with MODERATE in R4 (Adam Dexter mentioned behind-the-scenes in the Daily Chat that people were surprised when this occurred :o ). That was short-lived however with Cillian bringing back the difference to zero with OVERWIND in R5. After Maggie's anecdote, this was where he was on fire as Peter took direct hit after hit with his nines, DEMONICAL in R7, EPISTERNA in R8 and RADICULES in R11! A 54 point gap difference just in those three rounds alone to the point that Colin indirectly implied the game was over by the second Teatime Teaser to Peter and to have "some fun" :( At least not all was lost for him as he scored in the last two letter rounds.

Numbers: With both players going into R3 with a tie, Cillian gambles with 4 Large, and oh dear, he slips up with his method and Rachel knew what he was going for, bad luck :( Peter goes easy next with 2 Large in R6, but now it's his turn to fumble as he used a number twice and Cillian spots an easy method to get ahead (I didn't spot the solution until quite late in the round)! If two nines by R9 aren't enough, Cillian tries another set of 4 Large with the solution falling nicely for him as Peter lags behind even further. Finally, 6 Small to end off Peter's time here in R14 but he's too far with Cillian grabbing more points to solidify his win (Knew 968 was 121 × 8 but just couldn't find a method in time) :(

Conundrum: If this scrabble has the definition of an EVIL GRACE, well, you'd be right. Most of us that attempted to guess in the Daily Chat either got it wrong or blanked out (I was in the latter group). I think we can all agree VICEREGAL isn't that a common word in the 21st century and interesting it's not hyphenated as I would have thought initially.

Man, if this isn't some sort of thrashing, I don't know what else to call it, that was miserable and painful to watch :( I thought Cillian would beat Peter by around the same margin of around 40 points, but thanks to all the nine letter spots, the gap was at a whopping 81 points instead. I think Adam Latchford, our Series 83 Grand Champion aptly pointed out in the Daily Chat well enough to say that this is the difference between an Apterite and a great spotter of words. Peter, you were simply no match against your opponent once more, but I'm sure you have tried your best and you will be cheering him on backstage tomorrow in the Grand Final. You may have had the lowest score of the Finals thus far, but it doesn't matter, to get into the Semi-Finals is a good enough place to top off your appearances in this Series. I hoped you had fun during the festive season last year appearing in the last few episodes of Series 86 before this one heck of a Series 87 and see you around in the community!

We're nearly here at the Grand Final with the top two players in it once more. Colin already highlighted our two finalists scored 122 both yesterday and today, so, is it going to be a tight match as everyone is anticipating? We've got Ronan who could potentially become the highest Xicount ever if he gets above 99 points and wins and Cillian who could use yet another hat trick if the letters are kind and deliver another three nines along with his joint highest score record. Who shall prevail and lift the Richard Whiteley Memorial Trophy for the first full Series with Colin Murray as the host? Will the Hurricane be too much for the incredible Mulk to handle and sweep him away or will the latter survive the storm to the very end? Don't miss this potentially epic finale live!

Progress:
QF1 (21 June 2023): Ronan Higginson (#1) vs Andrew Barrett (#8) (122 - 70)
QF2 (22 June 2023): Cillian McMulkin (#2) vs Dave Cappleman (#7) (109 - 81)
QF3 (23 June 2023): Peter Burke (#3) vs Greg Pearce (#6) (107 - 64)
QF4 (26 June 2023): Graham Moonie-Dalton (#4) vs Adam Dexter (#5) (60 - 117)
SF1 (27 June 2023): Ronan Higginson (QF1 Winner) vs Adam Dexter (QF4 Winner) (122 - 98)
SF2 (28 June 2023): Cillian McMulkin (QF2 Winner) vs Peter Burke (QF3 Winner) (122 - 41)
GF (29 June 2023): Ronan Higginson (SF1 Winner) vs Cillian McMulkin (SF2 Winner)