Is it time to end, the Monarchy?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Is it time to end, the Monarchy?

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Anyway, it turns out the arrests were completely dodgy after all and the Met has apologised. One of the geezers says he's taking legal action though. That could be interesting.
Phil H
Acolyte

Post by Phil H »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:31 am
I think the amount of dignitaries from other countries that came to the coronation implies a level of respect from the heads of state anyway.

Wrong way round. Britain is still powerful enough for some other countries to think it worth keeping in with, so they go "if it matters to them, we'll kid on it matters to us as well."
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Phil H wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:17 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:31 am
I think the amount of dignitaries from other countries that came to the coronation implies a level of respect from the heads of state anyway.

Wrong way round. Britain is still powerful enough for some other countries to think it worth keeping in with, so they go "if it matters to them, we'll kid on it matters to us as well."
Are you sure it's not just that international dignitaries will turn up for any sort of jolly, especially at a country that is actually still pretty rich, and from which money flows readily if the correct palms are greased?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Phil H
Acolyte

Post by Phil H »

Ian Volante wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:12 pm Are you sure it's not just [...]
Yeah, one of the two, or maybe a bit of both.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Further proof that the police completely disgraced themselves at the coronation.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I hope she's learned her lesson and will no longer support the royals and any of their nonsense ceremonies.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

You'd hope. I think if the police had explicitly arrested her for supporting the coronation it would have been more acceptable.