Extractions

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Extractions

Post by Marc Meakin »

In my case dental extractions.
I am due to have 2 teeth removed on Sunday and I wanted to know how long it is likely to take, they are loose but not save able.
Im nearly sixty and not had any teeth removed since childhood.
Another question is whether it's likely I will need to take time off the next day to recover.
A Countdown forum doesn't sound like the best place to ask but the dental receptionist wasn't forthcoming
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Re: Extractions

Post by Elliott Mellor »

I'm pretty sure they literally take minutes and you'll be recovered the same day.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'm just pleased that you started a general thread about extractions so that we can all contribute to it when there are notable extractions of any sort.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:37 pm I'm just pleased that you started a general thread about extractions so that we can all contribute to it when there are notable extractions of any sort.
The funny thing was I was watching the film Extraction when I received the notification.
So i thought on the basis of that I will watch Slumdog Millionaire next
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Had one removed last year or the year before, it takes a few minutes for your gums to numb up (you can go anaesthetic-free if you hate needles but really, really like pain), then they wrestle with the tooth for a couple of minutes, and out it pops... assuming they can get it out in one piece. I had a retained root for a few years before they finally got that out, and that extraction was considerably worse than the one I had taken last year. The aftercare is a bit of a faff too, but gets done with quickly enough.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I was 50 minutes in the chair once getting a tooth out because it had decayed so much the dentist couldn't get a proper grip on it. Then he said not to smoke or drink until the wound had healed but instead I went to a friend's house and had a rake of cans and joints.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Depends how awkward the root is, but they can pop out quite easily. I find they usually ache for the rest of the day, and they can bleed a bit, hence the recommendation of taking care with it. Don't skimp on the aftercare either, I'm told dry socket is a bastard.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've no idea what dry socket is but I believe Jason Larsen suffers/ed from it.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Smokers are prone to Dry Socket.
Not sure if Jason is a smoker though
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Update, it took less than 30 minutes I was out by 2.30 lol.
Doing a grand impersonation of Don Corleone