Broadstairs for a Co event?

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Broadstairs for a Co event?

Post by Marc Meakin »

If i built it would you come?
I was thinking of hosting a Co : Event with a difference.
I want to showcase both Countdown and Scrabble so for example a half day allotted to a Countdown event and maybe a half day playing a Scrabble variant with vowel and consonant bags, thus creating a hybrid.

If the hybrid is not for you but the Co event is leg me know if you may be interested, I was looking at September/October
Edited
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Re: Broadstairs for a Co event?

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Wouldn't fancy dipping my hand into the bowel bag personally
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Matt Rutherford
Acolyte

Post by Matt Rutherford »

Aside from plunging hands into bowels, there could be potential...However, some caution!

-Having been to both, there is a notably different atmosphere-I enjoy both, but I don't know how that would apply elsewhere. It's jokey and cordial at CoEvents, whereas Scrabble is notably more serious. At one Scrabble tourney (most opponents were lovely I hasten to add), there were some folk who had all the joviality of Eyeore when his meds run out, and there were instances of people being told to hoof it from one table at dinner because they weren't part of a clique

-In addition, split dictionaries. I can see people getting very upset that favoured words of theirs weren't in for one game and possibly being quite perturbed

-Head to a CoEvent before trying to organize one-trust me, the difference between them and Scrabble tourneys is marked.

-Plus, Broadstairs is pushing it on the day trip from Birmingham-a sizeable chunk of CD folk are further north than that. Not the easiest to get to

With these in mind, it might be worth it? Some wider cross-communities chatter would be useful, though!
The Vicar of Dudley*

*(Not ordained, nor do I live Dudley. Godspeed!)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

We would consider Broadstairs, like the area. See some of Matt's points about Scrabble vs Countdown but if the Scrabble side of things is a one-off and "not really Countdown" I would like to think that people might be a bit more chilled out than proper Scrabble people at a proper Scrabble tournament. But then I say that as someone who doesn't care about winning or what word is in what dictionary, I just like playing.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Bradley Horrocks wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:07 am Wouldn't fancy dipping my hand into the bowel bag personally
Shit, spell checking by me
Joseph B

Post by Joseph B »

Broadstairs is great idea but just Countdown please I live in Ashford so could get there and back in one day.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I will make enquiries about a Co event though its probably not a good topic at the moment