Spoilers for Friday 18 November 2022 (Series 86, Heat 110)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Spoilers for Friday 18 November 2022 (Series 86, Heat 110)

Post by Andres Sanchez »

I am making this as I'm currently looking at what's on the wiki. Before anything though, congrats to Joe for reaching octochampdom!

Now to the question, it says on the wiki that " the letter selection Round 4 included the word WOG, which Ofcom describes as 'strongest language, highly unacceptable without strong contextualisation; seen as derogatory to black people'." At first judgment, I thought we shouldn't recap the episode because of this. As I'm giving it more thought, however, we have had other offensive incidents on the show, according to the same resource. So I'm not FULLY sure about recapping but I think I should ultimately do it and if it's deemed unfit then it can be taken down.
One of da 'Muricans
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Friday 18 November 2022 (Series 86, Heat 110)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Not sure why that would be a reason to not recap the episode - it aired, it wasn't censored, and we have the explanatory note. Recap is added.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

I think it was just an overthinking moment on my end, thank you for recapping.
One of da 'Muricans
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Np :)
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

I've removed the note on the wiki. It's not a word, it's 3 letters in the middle of a sequence . It only becomes a thing by drawing attention to it. We don't censor the word woggle for example.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Also honest note, I think Trevor's more of a sleeper to me, or at least not as interesting as I feel like he should be in terms of hosting. Wouldn't shut him out completely if he hosted again but would be more enthused by the players than the host.

UPDATE:

ZERANOLS in R11
One of da 'Muricans
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Still found Richard Coles (hugely overrated in my view) more sleep inducing than Trevor McDonald, and the latter had better diction even if he seemed glued to the autocue. Moira Stuart was one of my candidates when Anne Robinson left. She might be fun. Overall though they have made consistently good appointments. I thought Les Dennis was perfect though.
Last edited by Philip A on Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Series 78 Runner-up
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Philip A wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:15 pm Still found Richard Coles (hugely overrated in my view) more sleep-inducing than Trevor McDonald, and the latter had better diction even if he seemed glued to the autocue. Moira Stuart was one of my candidates when Anne Robinson left. She might be fun. Overall though they have made consistently good appointments. I thought Les Dennis was perfect though.
I'll definitely give Moira a shot, don't really know much about her to be frank - makes more sense given where I live but still - maybe some banter between her and Christopher Biggins may try and have me enjoying him as I haven't really felt much excitement out of him when he was first on.
One of da 'Muricans
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Worth remembering that this is day 1 on the job for the guest hosts (bar Sir Trev's special a few months back). Whenever I start a new job I spend the first day finding the coffee machine and trying to remember the way back from the toilets! Any of us who have hosted a game at a co:event know it takes a few games for it to come naturally and there's a lot to concentrate on!
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

I like this perspective, thanks for telling it like this.
One of da 'Muricans
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Fiona T wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:06 pm Worth remembering that this is day 1 on the job for the guest hosts (bar Sir Trev's special a few months back). Whenever I start a new job I spend the first day finding the coffee machine and trying to remember the way back from the toilets! Any of us who have hosted a game at a co:event know it takes a few games for it to come naturally and there's a lot to concentrate on!
Very true. Though I don't suppose any of your employers told their customers that any slight drop off in service levels that day was their way of celebrating a major anniversary.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

David Williams wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:24 pm
Fiona T wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:06 pm Worth remembering that this is day 1 on the job for the guest hosts (bar Sir Trev's special a few months back). Whenever I start a new job I spend the first day finding the coffee machine and trying to remember the way back from the toilets! Any of us who have hosted a game at a co:event know it takes a few games for it to come naturally and there's a lot to concentrate on!
Very true. Though I don't suppose any of your employers told their customers that any slight drop off in service levels that day was their way of celebrating a major anniversary.
Haha good point
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Philip A wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:15 pm Still found Richard Coles (hugely overrated in my view) more sleep inducing than Trevor McDonald, and the latter had better diction even if he seemed glued to tne autocue.
I honestly thought Sir Trevor was more sleep-inducing (no offence!) which left me quite disappointed really :( Luckily the episodes he filmed were way shorter than usual (Most of them only lasted 33.5 minutes which is about 1-1.5 minutes shorter on average) so I guess that makes up for it?