Crisps and confectionery

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Crisps and confectionery

Post by Marc Meakin »

Is it just me or are chocolate bars and especially multipack crisps getting to a ridiculous level of stingiiness..
I stack shelves for a living and some of the 12 bags of multipack crisps feel less than the 6 packs from when I was young.
I bought some monster munch multipack as I was feeling nostalgic and one pack had FIVE monster munch in it.
Chocolate bars are getting smaller to the point that a fun size Mars bar from the 80s is virtually the size of a normal one now.
Even biscuits are getting thinner.
Im sure I needed 2 hands to eat a wagon wheel when I was a kid
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Crisps and confectionery

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've always thought that this is really illogical. Apart from when the shit really hits the fan (like now) wages are supposed to generally at least match inflation on the whole, so inflation doesn't mean that people are just getting poorer and poorer year on year. So instead of just trying the keep prices the same and making everything smaller, they should just price things accordingly. If you take it to its logical conclusions, you'd be buying single molecule Monster Munch eventually.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

More like Monster Nibble amirite?
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:46 pm I bought some monster munch multipack as I was feeling nostalgic and one pack had FIVE monster munch in it.
You should sell this story to The Sun. You've even nailed the capital letters touch :D

I have actually found myself saying "when I was young" in sentences now, which is a little bit harrowing but not altogether misplaced when talking about when things used to be more affordable.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:47 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:46 pm I bought some monster munch multipack as I was feeling nostalgic and one pack had FIVE monster munch in it.
You should sell this story to The Sun. You've even nailed the capital letters touch :D

I have actually found myself saying "when I was young" in sentences now, which is a little bit harrowing but not altogether misplaced when talking about when things used to be more affordable.
I very nearly named this thread 'gaslighting'
I was also looking to find that famous news story of a horse in a field that kept getting stolen only to be replaced by a smaller horse but couldn't find it
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:47 pm

You are 47 now, though.