The C4C Football Thread

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: The C4C Football Thread

Post by Matt Morrison »

Joseph Goebbels or Rio Ferdinand?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

That's sexist that is.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:Image

Prehistoric banter.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

No.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

^
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Matt Morrison wrote:Image

Freakin awesome by the way
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

£50m and Anelka... a great deal surely...

EDIT - it's £40m and Anelka - who they must be valuing at £10m. Still a good deal though, right?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

So cruel for the mighty Terriers to lose like that. :( :cry:

Brill day down at the Emirates, and we all thought Town were gonna win during that 2nd half :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

£10m for Anelka at 31 does seem about right. £40m+Anelka does probably seem better than £50m too. What I don't like is £30m for Carroll, that's absolutely fucking ridiculous.

I don't think we have to sell Torres, even for the £50m buy-out, as that is only activated upon not qualifying for the Champions League. But looks like it's going to be best to.
I don't know yet if I think Torres is a dick, although even if I do I can understand why he wants to leave.

If he does go, I hope Anelka is included merely for the whole avoiding buying Carroll at £30m. Never would have expected we'd end up with a Suarez-Anelka partnership but in a way it's better than Torres-Ngog.
Oh, Fernando. Sigh.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

If I was a pool fan I'd be pretty ticked off with him. What's another four months? Only a few weeks back he was pledging his allegiance.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Matt Morrison wrote:What I don't like is £30m for Carroll, that's absolutely fucking ridiculous.
Has this actually been bid? I hope for your sake Newcastle don't sell, although If I was Ashley I would! Haven't ye learned by now not to buy anyone with a ponytail?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Matt Morrison wrote:What I don't like is £30m for Carroll, that's absolutely fucking ridiculous.
Totally, this. I've got the day off today so have had Sky Sports News on since about half nine (I love transfer deadline day) and when this was announced I thought I must have misheard "thirteen million" as "thirty million". But it really was thirty million. Madness.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Bid rejected. Not surprising from Ashley given that his brain is actually a third testicle... Carroll will eventually be sold for less than this in the future methinks.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Obviously he has the standard English player 150% markup.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9380667.stm wrote: 1432ish: Spanish journalist Guillem Balague on Twitter: "Torres is not flying to London. Still in Liverpool. Still negotiating... no deal yet."

1444ish: BBC Sport's chief football writer Phil McNulty on Twitter: "Scenario unfolding is once Torres signs for Chelsea, Liverpool will close in on Carroll asking price. £35m will be gamble by Liverpool owners."

1447: If I were Liverpool's multi-millionaire American owners, I would want confirmation that Andy Carroll's thigh is ship-shape before I parted with my £35m. Surely they are not going to rush through a medical today, then? Surely? Especially seeing as Carroll is currently injured...
I am not having fun. I can understand paying about £18m for Carroll, though even then that could turn out to be overpriced. £30m is ridiculous, and it's looking like we might go higher? :( :( :(

EDIT - April 1st has come early, please?
1452: BBC Radio 5 live senior football reporter Ian Dennis has heard that Liverpool HAVE made a second offer for Newcastle striker Andy Carroll. £35m per chance?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote: 1452: BBC Radio 5 live senior football reporter Ian Dennis has heard that Liverpool HAVE made a second offer for Newcastle striker Andy Carroll. £35m per chance?
Aye, this is all somewhat absurd. Getting Anelka as part of the deal has to be a much better option than someone who might turn out to be the new Michael Ricketts.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Guy is a great prospect, already a fucking beast to play against. He'd be a real asset to the team and the club. 35M is way overpriced, but it's transfer deadline day, he's English, and it looks like we're losing Torres today.

The money thing swings both ways. Maybe it could be better spent but it's about time the club started spending money on players and not interest payments. It's beautiful to see us really forking out money for the first time in about three years.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah I agree Jono, it's just hard to swallow in that £35m could be dream player money, and Carroll is not a dream player in my eyes. Let's hope he makes one anyway. If this is the only time we get to spend £35m on a player this decade, it'd be a shame it wasn't someone else maybe.

Looks like things are more advanced with Carroll to us than Torres to Chelsea which I also don't like. If we spend £35m on Carroll (realistically, if we buy him at all) then it has to be funded with Torres money, so that's pretty much a nail in the Fernando coffin.

Haven't heard Anelka mentioned at all today.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Here comes Beevers...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Just imagine Carroll, Torres and Suarez in a 4-3-3 for the rest of the season. That would be sick.

Of course 35M is insane, I think it would make him the 8th most expensive player of all time? Still though, in ten years that might seem like a bargain. Definitely a massive risk but definitely it shows the right sort of intention and ambition from FSG, Commoli, Kenny and the rest.

Of course it's still all speculation. Usually this day is a complete let-down but at least today I've got some excitement value, even if it is tinged with sadness at Torres wanting out.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Interesting stuff. It's hard to gauge the price what with it being partly a panic buy, the likes of Spurs bidding huge amounts for seemingly everyone plus the likes of Man City/Chelsea inflating the premium player market. Also the UEFA rules coming in (don't know much about them, just vaguely heard from other people that there are wage limits and spending now doesn't count towards things, but later on does. Don't know what the home or home grown rules are either but they may be a factor).

Also there's so much cash in the game. I mean if he bumps Liverpool up a few inconsequential places it's a few million in prize money and extra money at the ground and in merchandise. If it gets them back into another European competition there's a chunk more. Champions League won't happen but that would be practically most of his possible transfer fee. Then if Liverpool have tapped into his individual sponsorship or whatever...

Anyway don't think it would be a bad move given the circumstances. He could easily be worth significantly more or less than the money on offer. Would much sooner have him than Bent who was up to £24m.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Agree Carroll for £35m is better than Bent for £24m. Would have liked it if we'd moved a bit earlier in the day for someone like Aguero though, whose value at £38m-ish far outweighs both Carroll and Bent. Spurs might be better than us this season but we still have tons more draw for foreign players, and their bid seemed to fail firstly at his lack of interest.

And yeah Jono, Carroll will be mad excited to play for us, Torres won't be. His performances this season have proved that means so much more than size of the transfer fee and consensus market value.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Craig Beevers wrote:Interesting stuff. It's hard to gauge the price what with it being partly a panic buy, the likes of Spurs bidding huge amounts for seemingly everyone plus the likes of Man City/Chelsea inflating the premium player market. Also the UEFA rules coming in (don't know much about them, just vaguely heard from other people that there are wage limits and spending now doesn't count towards things, but later on does. Don't know what the home or home grown rules are either but they may be a factor).

Also there's so much cash in the game. I mean if he bumps Liverpool up a few inconsequential places it's a few million in prize money and extra money at the ground and in merchandise. If it gets them back into another European competition there's a chunk more. Champions League won't happen but that would be practically most of his possible transfer fee. Then if Liverpool have tapped into his individual sponsorship or whatever...

Anyway don't think it would be a bad move given the circumstances. He could easily be worth significantly more or less than the money on offer. Would much sooner have him than Bent who was up to £24m.
trudat
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Liking all the Conor Sammon speculation. Definitely the most coverage a former UCD player has ever had on sky before!
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Just heard some speculation about Van Nistelrooy and Newcastle.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Looks like Carroll is done then, or the hard bit at least. If it's true that the £35m was rejected, can't wait for the figure slash terms of the deal.
I'm personally hoping it's £10m + Ngog + Poulsen.

Just 5 hours for something to go wrong with Torres to Chelsea!!
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Just a thought... how's this Carroll transfer gonna affect his living situation? :D
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Andy Wilson wrote:Just a thought... how's this Carroll transfer gonna affect his living situation? :D
Is he rooming with Mike Ashley or something?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Haha, apparently this is next month in the NUFC calendar. Anyone know if it's for real?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:Haha, apparently this is next month in the NUFC calendar. Anyone know if it's for real?
1/12 chance, not sure what month Torres is in the LFC one.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:Haha, apparently this is next month in the NUFC calendar. Anyone know if it's for real?
Yes I went on Amazon and looked at the back cover and it is indeed Carroll.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I think babel was in ours too.. those things are a curse!
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Andy Wilson wrote:Just a thought... how's this Carroll transfer gonna affect his living situation? :D
Is he rooming with Mike Ashley or something?
No, Kevin Nolan. It's his bail conditions.

Looks like he's lost his lift into work.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

2011, come 4th or 5th in the League, Kenny gets 2 year contract.
2012, come 3rd in the League, win FA Cup, Kenny emotionally hands the reins back to Benitez after a 4-0 win over Manchester United in the final. Kenny retakes ambassadorial role.
2013, Benitez brings back the CL again, and we pip Man City on the final day of the season to win the title. The glory days return, courtesy of Kenny and Rafa.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
2011, come 4th or 5th in the League, Kenny gets 2 year contract.
2012, come 3rd in the League, win FA Cup, Kenny emotionally hands the reins back to Benitez after a 4-0 win over Manchester United in the final. Kenny retakes ambassadorial role.
2013, Benitez brings back the CL again, and we pip Man City on the final day of the season to win the title. The glory days return, courtesy of Kenny and Rafa.
2014, Jono wakes from his evening nap to find he's drifted off and missed the first few rounds of Mastermind.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Haha. If there's one thing you can say about us Liverpool fans it's that we have hope. Often ungrounded, unrealistic, ambitious, nostalgic hope, but hope nonetheless.

Haven't clicked the article by the way but if it's the same one I read this morning it's the second time in a week or so he's made mention of wanting to manage the club again.
Dunno how I feel about it really, his substitutions and tactics are massively questionable, but I just get the feeling that leaving the club for a bit and then fucking over Inter in four months might open his eyes to needing to change his ways a little and make him a better manager. Who knows. There's that hope again.

Also, damn right about £70m for Torres - very reasonable a couple of years ago before he lost form. And hope. Haha.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Unbelievable. (Jeff)
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Not sure what will be the best part of Match of the Day tonight. The games or the interview with Arsenal Whinger.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Craig Beevers wrote:Not sure what will be the best part of Match of the Day tonight. The games or the interview with Arsenal Whinger.
Funny interview with him on 5live just a few minutes ago. He snapped at the interviewer so it should be good to see his face tonight.

Cracking day of football but I couldn't give a shit because United are losing to frigging Wolves. Bloody awful.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:Haha. If there's one thing you can say about us Liverpool fans it's that we have hope. Often ungrounded, unrealistic, ambitious, nostalgic hope, but hope nonetheless.
Ryan Taylor wrote:Cracking day of football but I couldn't give a shit because United are losing to frigging Wolves. Bloody awful.
Ungrateful!
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Too bad for Wolves. Certain to be relegated now. Rubbish teams who beat United always go down.
Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Post by Martyn Simpson »

Mark James wrote:Too bad for Wolves. Certain to be relegated now. Rubbish teams who beat United always go down.
Funnily enough, the last time Wolves dropped out of the top flight, they won 1-0 against United.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Martyn Simpson wrote:
Mark James wrote:Too bad for Wolves. Certain to be relegated now. Rubbish teams who beat United always go down.
Funnily enough, the last time Wolves dropped out of the top flight, they won 1-0 against United.
OMG

In other news, lots of goals today. My recent transfers have enabled me to collect some of them.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

EPIC
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Great day's play! Pleased Rangers won on Wednesday too.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Mick McCarthy stood on my toe in football boots when I was sixteen and trying to get his autograph, which he refused because it was a scarf and he couldn't be arsed making the extra effort to write on wool. I've disliked him ever since. He was the man who stopped picking Denis Irwin out of spite, taking it out on he and the fans for Fergie trying to hold onto him for the crappy friendlies thus prompting Denis to retire early from international football (the first player I ever remember doing this... trend setter? It's all McCarthy's fault), and of course, there was Saipan. Bet he hates united and I know I can't stand him. Damn it. Looked at that lineup (before the Rio injury) and though the result a foregone conclusion.

Amazing Newcastle though.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Just had an idea for the next Gillette Soccer Saturday Christmas Special. A tournament on FIFA 11. They're probably not very good at video games but I reckon it would be a laugh. They could even do it in a way where some of them are playing and the others are doing a regular Soccer Saturday thing of describing the action. "And now its over to Scott Minto over at X Box live where Phill Thompson's Liverpool are taking on Paul Merson's Arsenal, any score Scott?" "No score yet Jeff, Tommo hasn't figured out how to switch players and Merse has lost his connection to the servers."
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Luiz looks like he's well wary of Fernando's reaction to the goal there! Great snapshot.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

"I wanted to join because Chelsea always have shown a big respect for me.
They really want me and it is important when you have the support of the people in the club,
and the support of the fans who always showed respect to me when I came to Stamford Bridge and at Anfield."

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Sorry for the poor quality on the next ones... arrived by e-mail as shitty GIFs.

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Just a little warning for you all,

If by some miracle, the Mighty Terriers overturn their 4 goal deficit against Carlisle in the JPT tonight, I'm gonna go mega ballistic. ;) :) :D

Well, here's hoping..... ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Don't be silly, nobody ever comes back from four goals down.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Enjoyed very much.
Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Post by Martyn Simpson »

James Robinson wrote:Just a little warning for you all,

If by some miracle, the Mighty Terriers overturn their 4 goal deficit against Carlisle in the JPT tonight, I'm gonna go mega ballistic. ;) :) :D

Well, here's hoping..... ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Close, Robbo, very close.

I'll be going to the final 8-)