40th Anniversary Celebrations

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

40th Anniversary Celebrations

Post by James Robinson »

Interesting article involving Colin here…: https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/whats-on/ ... b-24815699

Looks like he’s here for longer, but these Anniversary Specials….(ignoring the fact it says 30th, not 40th), wonder what those are…???
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Re: 40th Anniversary Celebrations

Post by Callum Todd »

Colin sounds so happy about working on Countdown, lovely to hear :)
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Cats officially out of the bag now!
Gotta wonder what these specials will be?
A dedicated tournament, or one off specials like Susie vs Rachel etc?
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I assume that the specials all have two different people in them rather than being connected into a tournament.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

@Countdown Team Burst our balloons!
Series 78 Runner-up
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Patience, patience!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

So it looks like they’ll have some guest presenters (different host for a week) while Colin Murray is on a 4-week break from 31 October to 25 November. That’s at least according to the Countdown Wiki. Floella Benjamin the first of the four.
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Do we know who all the Wiki contributors are? E.g. who is Launchballer who added in the Floella Benjamin episodes? There must be a source other than the Countdown Wiki.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:18 pm Do we know who all the Wiki contributors are? E.g. who is Launchballer who added in the Floella Benjamin episodes? There must be a source other than the Countdown Wiki.
I just Tweeted about these specials, and someone else in reply noted Floella’s stint in the EPGs on The Radio Times, which has a website containing upcoming TV guides and EPGs. https://www.radiotimes.com/programme/b- ... e=b-srhj66
Series 78 Runner-up
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Can now comfirm, Colin Murray has confirmed it on Twitter, after I tagged him! He’ll be on a 4-week break from 31 October to 25 November, and it will be 4 different guest hosts, each occupying a week of shows. The first of those 4 guests host will be Floella Benjamin, while the other 3 will be identified as we go along.

After his break, Murray will host until February 2023 (possibly March depending on schedules) at least, and from then on it’s TBC.

So, in other words, no “permanent host” (i.e. 12-month contract) for the foreseeable.

These are not really ‘specials’; they’ll still be part of the current series.
Series 78 Runner-up
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Post by Steve Hyde »

TVGuide.co.uk has listings 13 days in advance on the desktop site - that was the source for Floella Benjamin, and we should be able to see who her successor is tomorrow
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Steve Hyde wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:57 pm TVGuide.co.uk has listings 13 days in advance on the desktop site - that was the source for Floella Benjamin, and we should be able to see who her successor is tomorrow
Well, here’s the link.

It’s the Rev. Richard Coles next!!👍👍👍
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

So I wonder who will be the presenter during my filming on the 22nd?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Well, looks like the cat is out of the bag…

Sir Trev is back, and Moira Stuart is a surprising, but welcome addition too.😎😎😎👍👍👍
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

But, how will it be celebrated ?
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Moira Stuart was a suggestion in the media after Anne quit, so hardly a surprise.

I think if there was a slightly more current lineup, I’d be happier. I think people like Sue Barker and Anita Rani would be good, because they’re both positive and enjoy competition.

Not sure about Floella. I enjoyed Trevor McDoland hosting, he had the right demeanour for the programme when he hosted the BTF special in 2021; warm and docile. Moira will also do a good job, as I think would many other veretan newsreaders. Richard Coles, too snoozy for me; good guest but not sure he’s fit as host.

Have to say though, 8 presenters in 1 series is a bit weird. I agree with Samir that this is a questionable way to celebrate 40 years. Maybe just a one-off birthday episode would have cut the mustard.
Series 78 Runner-up
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

We should of had a tournament just like the 30BC that would of been good
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Tracey Anne Mills wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:22 pm We should of had a tournament just like the 30BC that would of been good
I think a 40BC would have too many re-returning, or even re-re-returning players. The 30BC was designed to crown the best player over 30 years, and was instead of a CoC which determines the best player over the last 3 or 4 years. A 40BC wouldn’t be a very good tournament after the 30BC IMO.
Series 78 Runner-up
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

I’m with Samir in that this doesn’t seem much of a celebration. Where’re the links to the shows genesis? I recall that day vividly. It was a big deal. This is not
I’d host the show live for the week, incorporating social media like you can when it’s live. Tank tops, dodgy taches, guests who were there in the early days if possible. This should be a big event but it’s not looking promising
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

They probably don’t want to give too much away. We’ll just have to wait and see.
Series 78 Runner-up
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

They should have brought back Ms Vorderman
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Philip A wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:53 pm
Tracey Anne Mills wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:22 pm We should of had a tournament just like the 30BC that would of been good
I think a 40BC would have too many re-returning, or even re-re-returning players. The 30BC was designed to crown the best player over 30 years, and was instead of a CoC which determines the best player over the last 3 or 4 years. A 40BC wouldn’t be a very good tournament after the 30BC IMO.
Yes, this. 30BC still feels like recent history for me, but maybe that's because I'm nearly as old as Countdown itself. Perhaps they'll do a tournament on that scale again for the 60th birthday.
Paul Anderson wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:29 pm I’m with Samir in that this doesn’t seem much of a celebration. Where’re the links to the shows genesis?
The announcer Paul Coia, who introduced the first episode, will return to do the same again. That's a pretty good link to the show's origins, isn't it? You have to remember that while Countdown's birthday will, no doubt, be marked alongside, what's mainly being celebrated is 40 years of Channel 4.
Paul Anderson wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:29 pm I recall that day vividly. It was a big deal. This is not
It was a big deal because it was the launch of a new channel, not because it was episode 1 of Countdown. The press reviews of Channel 4's opening night were pretty dismissive of Countdown. Nobody thought it would still be going 40 years later.
Paul Anderson wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:29 pm I’d host the show live for the week, incorporating social media like you can when it’s live. Tank tops, dodgy taches, guests who were there in the early days if possible. This should be a big event but it’s not looking promising
A live version of Countdown featuring past contestants and incorporating engagement with viewers? That'll never work. :D
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Graeme is right. When Countdown began in 1982, it was not an instant ratings hit. It was an initial disaster. Episode 1 took two hours to record, and when it went out, 3 million people switched off! But Richard Whiteley grew in to the role, and ten years later millions more warmed to it. Other shows became hits years after they launched, rather than become a hit from the word go (Only Connect was one of them).

Reaction seems more positive on Twitter than among the Apterous/Co:event/c4c community. While I agree this doesn’t look like much of a celebration, they’ve probably got more surprises in store than what they’re currently giving away. So I think it will turn out better than expected. No doubt the guest hosts will attract new viewers, and possibly more new contestants as well. It’s a good incentive to watch. These guest hosts is part of how they’re celebrating the landmark year. Celebration =! rave party.

Most celebrations for landmark occasions on TV quizzes are not in full party mode, unlike Deal Or No Deal which really partied with fancy costumes, twists to the game and the like, so it’s what’s expected on Countdown TBF. When Countdown turned 30, it was just a normal game. The celebrations were saved for the Birthday Championship instead, which was a CoC but bigger (in fact 16 of the 41 players would have made up a CoC).
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Philip A wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:53 pm
I dunno though. The 30BC was a bit disappointing in that it was virtually all members of the Countdown and Scrabble online communities and wasn't representative of the first 30 years of Countdown at all. If they'd made more effort to contact people (rather than await contact) for the the 40th, it could have been a lot better in that respect. I know there might be data protection reasons for not having contact details, but a lot of these people could be found regardless, if they put the feelers out.

Plus 10 years is ages!
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:32 pm I dunno though. The 30BC was a bit disappointing in that it was virtually all members of the Countdown and Scrabble online communities and wasn't representative of the first 30 years of Countdown at all. If they'd made more effort to contact people (rather than await contact) for the the 40th, it could have been a lot better in that respect. I know there might be data protection reasons for not having contact details, but a lot of these people could be found regardless, if they put the feelers out.

Plus 10 years is ages!
Disagree with all the above. There were 9-round players, and there were even players from the ‘80s. Definitely representive of 30 years. It determined the best of the best of the best. There were even more than 200 people expressing interest in entering. And 10 years isn’t really “ages”.
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Philip A wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:35 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:32 pm I dunno though. The 30BC was a bit disappointing in that it was virtually all members of the Countdown and Scrabble online communities and wasn't representative of the first 30 years of Countdown at all. If they'd made more effort to contact people (rather than await contact) for the the 40th, it could have been a lot better in that respect. I know there might be data protection reasons for not having contact details, but a lot of these people could be found regardless, if they put the feelers out.

Plus 10 years is ages!
Disagree with all the above. There were 9-round players, and there were even players from the ‘80s. Definitely representive of 30 years. It determined the best of the best of the best. There were even more than 200 people expressing interest in entering. And 10 years isn’t really “ages”.
You can't disagree that it was mainly people from the online communities, because it's objectively true. As such, most of the 80s players weren't the best 80s players - it was just the easiest ones to get hold of. Sure, it's unlikely that most of them would have been able to compete with the obessive Apterites of the day anyway, but with enough advance warning a few might have done. I know Darryl Francis played on Apterous in the run-up.
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Yes Graeme, but my point is the channel is forever linked to CD because it was first off the line. That’s one of the reasons for it being so iconic. I really think they could have pushed the boat out a bit more
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Paul Anderson wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:52 pm Yes Graeme, but my point is the channel is forever linked to CD because it was first off the line. That’s one of the reasons for it being so iconic. I really think they could have pushed the boat out a bit more
It’s not as iconic as you think. It’s more of an institution than an icon, and I think the institution bit is why it’s ran for so long and not because people like it.

Countdown is a niche show. There’s an awful lot of people out there who DON’T like Countdown compared to other shows. The launch was poor. Very poor. So poor, it almost spelt the end of the show. Viewers were thumb-twiddling and the reception was negative. It took years until millions warmed to it.

Pushing the boat out more, in my opinion, would be too much for the regular audience to appreciate. It might suit us, but not the rest of the public or regular viewers in general. Countdown has always had a light-hearted and relaxed nature and has never really celebrated hard for milestones (apart from the 25th birthday episode which I enjoyed; celebrities chose the letters and numbers and there was confetti at the end). The ‘live’ idea would take too long and really drag. This plan is also better than Celebrity Countdown which was also slow and had a poor standard of play (and viewers switched off as well).

Even when Countdown was at its height, more people were watching Neighbours, Blockbusters and the like. Countdown is an institution that is cheap to make which is why it’s gone on for so long, but that doesn’t really make it iconic IMHO. It’s also never won an award. Iconic game shows are phenomena that have proven successful with general audiences like Mastermind, University Challenge, WWTBAM. Countdown’s appeal is more niche and suits specific audiences, as it’s a puzzle game requiring ability to unravel words and solve numerical puzzles.

Anyway, I think this is a strong presenter line up (apart from Richard Coles). Benjamin, McDonald and Stuart are true greats of TV and broadcasting and they deserve to host this institution.

It will be better than you think.
Series 78 Runner-up
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Post by Steve Hyde »

Compare it to something like Pointless's 1000th show. Osman and Armstrong swapped roles, which made it special and interesting, but the contestants were just the same ordinary people they have on any other edition. I think Countdown is aiming for the same sort of thing, perhaps realising that ordinary contestants are a big part of the show's appeal
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Steve Hyde wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:16 pm Compare it to something like Pointless's 1000th show. Osman and Armstrong swapped roles, which made it special and interesting, but the contestants were just the same ordinary people they have on any other edition. I think Countdown is aiming for the same sort of thing, perhaps realising that ordinary contestants are a big part of the show's appeal
I agree, especially after the flopped Celebrity series in 2019/20. Other shows have done similarly, civilian contestants but with one tweak. The Chase had 5 Chasers in one show for its 1,000th edition. Deal Or No Deal, same programme but with a second £250k in place of £1k for its 1,000th show. On Deal’s 2,000th they pranked Noel.
Series 78 Runner-up
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

40 years ago today at 16.45
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Happy 40th anniversary. 8-)

I remember watching the first episode on Channel 4 in 1982 and thinking it was a load of rubbish, mind you I didn't realise you were supposed to play along at home. :lol:
Stewart Holden
Series 51 Champion

Post by Stewart Holden »

BBC Radio Nottingham phoned me yesterday as they still had my details from when I won the series back in 2004. I've lived in Northern Ireland for 14 years now but agreed to chat to them about Countdown anyway! You can hear the short piece from exactly 3:38 into this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0d50zjf
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Richard Coles is by far the best presenter over the last 4 weeks
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

Still don’t understand how having 4 different presenters equates 40th anniversary celebration.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

years / (octochamp games + contestants per game) = presenters
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

samir pilica wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:14 pm Still don’t understand how having 4 different presenters equates 40th anniversary celebration.
I think they’ve gone in the right direction in selecting 4 titled veteran broadcasters though: Baroness, Reverend, Sir and CBE, all of whom have been big in TV/radio/writing/music/journalism for more than 40 years and rose to fame with a big impact before Channel 4 and Countdown even existed. There’s a good package in there.

Guest hosts are a good way to attract new viewers. I think they just underdid the atmosphere. I liked the ‘40’ decorations but something more party-like would have been better (e.g. confetti and birthday cake). The archive clips were a nice change from the teasers. They’ve also recognised, after the flopped celebrity series, that civilian contestants are still an integral part of the programme. But it’s a shame the celebrations were on for just a week. I think a studio audience of celebrity fans of the show would have been good. An archive of the best contestants would have been cool too.
Last edited by Philip A on Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Series 78 Runner-up
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Philip A wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:09 pm I think a studio audience of celebrity fans of the show would have been good.
So we can't go in the audience anymore but Philip Schofield and Holly Willoughby can? Shocker.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Callum Todd wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:02 pm
Philip A wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:09 pm I think a studio audience of celebrity fans of the show would have been good.
So we can't go in the audience anymore but Philip Schofield and Holly Willoughby can? Shocker.
But only if the corpse of the previous monarch is also present. Small print.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

The studio no longer has audience seating. There were a handful of socially distanced chairs and that was it.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Yeah aware of the chairs gone (seen photos and clips of it) but an all-star one-off gathering would have been cool. For Countdown’s 25th they had celebrities choosing the letters and numbers (all pre-recorded) for the contestants which I thought was fun.
Series 78 Runner-up