The Countdown Android App is now out!

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Re: The Countdown Android App is now out!

Post by JackHurst »

Steve Hyde wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:38 pm
JackHurst wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:57 pm The app now has a subscription feature which gives unlimited access to Jokerdown, Decadown and Mini rules, as well as a new 30 round "Triathlon" format. There's also the word check screen (which has a new "add 2 letters" section, and a couple of stats screens with graphs. I plan to add more features for subscribers as time goes on. Requests welcomed!
Currently enjoying my free trial having removed adverts previously. What is the standard subscription rate when the free trial is over, and is there an option for a one-off lifetime sub?
It's priced at £11.99 yearly, or £2.99 monthly.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I've been mucking around with multiplayer. It's very prototype, but if anybody wants to do a head to head 20 conundrum game, let me know here (with your username). I can set up a game vs myself, or if you have another player in mind lmk who they are.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

JackHurst wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:15 am I've been mucking around with multiplayer. It's very prototype, but if anybody wants to do a head to head 20 conundrum game, let me know here (with your username). I can set up a game vs myself, or if you have another player in mind lmk who they are.
Happy to do this- username is tom.
Adam S Latchford
Acolyte

Post by Adam S Latchford »

JackHurst wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:15 am I've been mucking around with multiplayer. It's very prototype, but if anybody wants to do a head to head 20 conundrum game, let me know here (with your username). I can set up a game vs myself, or if you have another player in mind lmk who they are.

Excited for this mode! I won't have a lot of time for trialling the game but keen to hear about the results. Likely will encourage me to buy to remove ads
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

I'm interested, username's Andres S. iirc
One of da 'Muricans
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

The three of you should all now have a game available vs me :ugeek:
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Adam S Latchford wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:46 pm

Excited for this mode! I won't have a lot of time for trialling the game but keen to hear about the results. Likely will encourage me to buy to remove ads
I'll be running a small event on the app in December which will be subscriber only :) More will be posting more details in a se0arate thread.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

JackHurst wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:19 am The three of you should all now have a game available vs me :ugeek:
Whereabouts do I find it? Can't see anything as stands :)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Bottom of you challenges list.

(These kind of things will probably get their own section of the app one day, but since I don't have the time to do it quickly, for now they'll just be in your challenges list.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

)
Adam S Latchford
Acolyte

Post by Adam S Latchford »

JackHurst wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:21 am Bottom of you challenges list.

(These kind of things will probably get their own section of the app one day, but since I don't have the time to do it quickly, for now they'll just be in your challenges list.
Nice, you trounced me :D

Super hard cons coming for you at rugby except if you're against maus and i give you guys squeezing
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Post by Ronan M Higginson »

I'll have a go. Username is the very creative Ronan Higginson.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Adam S Latchford wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:22 am Super hard cons coming for you at rugby except if you're against maus and i give you guys squeezing
Not sure whether to be happy or sad about this haha. Was interesting to see some VERY hard conundrums at Rugby last time.
Ronan M Higginson wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:34 am
I'll have a go. Username is the very creative Ronan Higginson.
Added. Looking forward to my impending ass-whooping.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Squeeze me harder. I think my thing is Maus with the emoji but I've had a few variations for no good reason
cheers maus
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Cool- sorted it out now! Definitely some toughies in there!
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Async games have been well received among the player who have been kind enough to test them out with me, so I'm happy to share that in December, there will be the first ever multiplayer (async) games in the app, which you can sign up for in over in the event thread!
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Might be just me ....

Quite often after one of the challenges, I end up accidentally abandoning rather than submitting. It is largely lack of concentration, but I think because the 'submit' screen looks so like that 'done' screen it's easy just to automatically press the back button to get back to the main screen. I do it with alarming regularity! Maybe if the submit screen had 'abandon' and 'submit' or something? Not sure if you can capture a back key press if you haven't submitted to pop up a 'do you really want leave' like it does in game?

But mebbe I just need to pay more attention :)
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Fiona T wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:15 am Might be just me ....

Quite often after one of the challenges, I end up accidentally abandoning rather than submitting. It is largely lack of concentration, but I think because the 'submit' screen looks so like that 'done' screen it's easy just to automatically press the back button to get back to the main screen. I do it with alarming regularity! Maybe if the submit screen had 'abandon' and 'submit' or something? Not sure if you can capture a back key press if you haven't submitted to pop up a 'do you really want leave' like it does in game?

But mebbe I just need to pay more attention :)
Having managed it again this morning, it's the back to menu top left I'm pressing on autopilot, so a confirmation there would work if it's a more common issue than just me!
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Yesterday, Phil Stanton mentioned to me that when the app asks you to pick your numbers, the "Random" button never picks 6 small. I can reproduce this. I've just played four 10xN games, pressing the Random pick button every time, and in 40 numbers rounds I didn't get a single 6 small. This is with version 1.96 of the app.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Fiona T wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:08 am Having managed it again this morning, it's the back to menu top left I'm pressing on autopilot, so a confirmation there would work if it's a more common issue than just me!
Thanks for pointing this one out, I've fixed this. I've also fixed the 6 small issue reported by Phil and Graeme.

Thanks for all the bug reporting! Keep em coming 🐛🐛🐛

Fixes will be out in 1.97 this coming week.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I've fixed some issues with links, so that everything should work fine now if you have the app installed and are running 1.96 or higher

Here's a nice and tricky numbers round you can have a go at:

https://wordgamegeeks.com/countdownroun ... pfMzUvQf1r

And here's a juicy decadown letters round you can try:
https://wordgamegeeks.com/countdownroun ... AuDlcO4Cn4
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

JackHurst wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:15 pm
Fiona T wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:08 am Having managed it again this morning, it's the back to menu top left I'm pressing on autopilot, so a confirmation there would work if it's a more common issue than just me!
Thanks for pointing this one out, I've fixed this. I've also fixed the 6 small issue reported by Phil and Graeme.

Thanks for all the bug reporting! Keep em coming 🐛🐛🐛

Fixes will be out in 1.97 this coming week.
thanks - the accidental non-submit thing working nicely! It's saved me at least twice :)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

A few milestones worth celebrating

- We've hit 50k downloads
- We hit 2 years on 26th Dec
- We hit game 500K on 24th Dec

In 2024 we'll be aiming for the big 1 million :)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I've just rolled out an updated prototype for Async Head-to-Head Games. This feature is still in its early stages and is accessible exclusively through invite links, which you'll find below.

Before you dive in, here are some key points you need to know:
  1. Rate Limiting for Abandoned Games: To encourage fair play. If you abandon multiple games, you'll be rate limited. Please make sure to finish the games you start.
  2. Prototype Stage: Bear in mind that this feature is a prototype. This means you might encounter some bugs and find that explanations for certain elements are missing..
  3. Creating Private Games: When you create a private game, you'll receive a unique game link to share. You can send this link to multiple people, but remember, the first person to open the link in the app will join your game.
  4. Creating Public Games: Opt for a public game to be match-made against another player seeking a public game. Currently, the matchmaking algorithm doesn't account for player ability, but I'm working on implementing this feature soon.
  5. Game Expiry and UX: Be aware that games can expire before both players complete them. We know the user experience in this scenario isn't ideal, and it's on the radar for improvements.
Your participation and feedback are important for helping me refine this feature. So jump in, try it out, and let us know your thoughts!

Exclusive Game Invite Links:
Be the first to open these links in the app to join a multiplayer game:
Game Link 1
Game Link 2
Game Link 3
Game Link 4
Game Link 5

I looking forward to seeing you in the game!
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

JackHurst wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:13 pm [*]Rate Limiting for Abandoned Games: To encourage fair play. If you abandon multiple games, you'll be rate limited. Please make sure to finish the games you start.
Loving the head to head feature, thanks Jack. Can I ask what "rate limiting" means please? Sorry if I'm being thick but I don't think I've ever come across that term before.

I confess I have abandoned two head to head games previously. One was a complete accident, I closed the app by mistake, and another I deliberately abandoned when I cocked some rounds up but only because I had forgotten it aas head to head and thought I was kind playing a solo game.

I had wondered: given it's async, for the public h2h games would it be possible if a player abandons the game to put that challenge 'back in the pot' as it were, so that the next player picks up that game from scratch. That way the player on the other end of the game doesn't get an abandonment.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Callum Todd wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:19 am
JackHurst wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:13 pm [*]Rate Limiting for Abandoned Games: To encourage fair play. If you abandon multiple games, you'll be rate limited. Please make sure to finish the games you start.
Loving the head to head feature, thanks Jack. Can I ask what "rate limiting" means please? Sorry if I'm being thick but I don't think I've ever come across that term before.

I confess I have abandoned two head to head games previously. One was a complete accident, I closed the app by mistake, and another I deliberately abandoned when I cocked some rounds up but only because I had forgotten it aas head to head and thought I was kind playing a solo game.

I had wondered: given it's async, for the public h2h games would it be possible if a player abandons the game to put that challenge 'back in the pot' as it were, so that the next player picks up that game from scratch. That way the player on the other end of the game doesn't get an abandonment.
There's a maxmimum amount of times you can do it within a fixed time period. At the moment it's twice in 48 hours. Then you just have to wait for one of the abandoned games to fall out of that time window.

Should I change the messaging to make it clearer? It's not about telling people off, it's just about keeping the flow of games working. I agree about recycling abandoned games. I was thinking another way would be to fill abandoned games with bot opponents instead.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I also need to add a feature that lets you pause games. It's going to require quite a large refactor which is why I have been putting it off. This would probably help too.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

JackHurst wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:40 am There's a maxmimum amount of times you can do it within a fixed time period. At the moment it's twice in 48 hours. Then you just have to wait for one of the abandoned games to fall out of that time window.
So if you abandon two head to head games in 48 hours, you can't start another head to head game in that time window? That sounds good.

I forgot to apologise in my previous post for my dropped games which is pretty poor form so sorry to those on the other end of those abandonments!
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Callum Todd wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:03 am
JackHurst wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:40 am There's a maxmimum amount of times you can do it within a fixed time period. At the moment it's twice in 48 hours. Then you just have to wait for one of the abandoned games to fall out of that time window.
I forgot to apologise in my previous post for my dropped games which is pretty poor form so sorry to those on the other end of those abandonments!
No need to apologize! Game abandonments are bound to happen. It's unfortunate that it might restrict honest players such as yourself, but overall feels necessary to keep the game engaging.

I don't want abandoned games to feel like a badge of shame haha.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

JackHurst wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:13 pm I've just rolled out an updated prototype for Async Head-to-Head Games. This feature is still in its early stages and is accessible exclusively through invite links, which you'll find below.

1. Rate Limiting for Abandoned Games: To encourage fair play. If you abandon multiple games, you'll be rate limited. Please make sure to finish the games you start.
  2. Prototype Stage: Bear in mind that this feature is a prototype. This means you might encounter some bugs and find that explanations for certain elements are missing..
  3. Creating Private Games: When you create a private game, you'll receive a unique game link to share. You can send this link to multiple people, but remember, the first person to open the link in the app will join your game.
  4. Creating Public Games: Opt for a public game to be match-made against another player seeking a public game. Currently, the matchmaking algorithm doesn't account for player ability, but I'm working on implementing this feature soon.
  5. Game Expiry and UX: Be aware that games can expire before both players complete them. We know the user experience in this scenario isn't ideal, and it's on the radar for improvements.
Your participation and feedback are important for helping me refine this feature. So jump in, try it out, and let us know your thoughts!

Game Link 1
Game Link 2
Game Link 3
Game Link 4
Game Link 5

Is this feature available to non-subscribers, too? TIA!:)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Tom S wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:46 pm
JackHurst wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:13 pm I've just rolled out an updated prototype for Async Head-to-Head Games. This feature is still in its early stages and is accessible exclusively through invite links, which you'll find below.

Game Link 1
Game Link 2
Game Link 3
Game Link 4
Game Link 5

Is this feature available to non-subscribers, too? TIA!:)
Yep. As the prototype evolves, subscribers will have a more feature rich multiplayer experience, but non subscribers will still be able to play too.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Alright, I don't know if this is a bug or not but out of four games I've managed to get the same player thrice. What's odd is that the majority of my numbers rounds have been four large. I don't think the second thing is a bug but I feel like the first one definitely is.
One of da 'Muricans
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Andres Sanchez wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:55 pm Alright, I don't know if this is a bug or not but out of four games I've managed to get the same player thrice. What's odd is that the majority of my numbers rounds have been four large. I don't think the second thing is a bug but I feel like the first one definitely is.
I assumed you get the next unplayed game, so if I sit and play three games in a row at the same time as you do, then that's gonna happen. I think also at the moment there's relatively few people playing - I've had mainly A, quite a few teapots, a few Jack and a smattering of others - have only managed 1 win so far - brutal!
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Fiona T wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:59 am I assumed you get the next unplayed game, so if I sit and play three games in a row at the same time as you do, then that's gonna happen. I think also at the moment there's relatively few people playing - I've had mainly A, quite a few teapots, a few Jack and a smattering of others - have only managed 1 win so far - brutal!
Yes it's this.

Some custom game invites for anybody who fancies:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC (all conundrum 15 rounder)
https://wordgamegeeks.com/countdowninvite?link7

LNCLNCLNCLNCLNC (all rounder 15 rounder)
https://wordgamegeeks.com/countdowninvite?link8

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN (Gevin suddenly needs to do laundry)
https://wordgamegeeks.com/countdowninvite?link9
Jessica 'QwizicaL' Pratesi

Post by Jessica 'QwizicaL' Pratesi »

HAMMIES is listed on the apterous wiki as being accepted in episode 8194 as an "others" word. It's not listed in the word check on the app.

HAMMY only seems to be on the app as an adjective.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Jessica 'QwizicaL' Pratesi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:12 pm HAMMIES is listed on the apterous wiki as being accepted in episode 8194 as an "others" word. It's not listed in the word check on the app.

HAMMY only seems to be on the app as an adjective.
It's been ticketed for adding in the next apterous dictionary update.