Sorry everyone

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Sorry everyone

Post by Adam Dexter »

Hi.

Just thought I'd write a thread about cheating. I have been labelled, correctly, as a cheat by Charlie. I am truly sorry, and am literally sitting in tears, having read about all the hard work it took to make. I wish I hadn't abused such a wonderful site, as now no-one will ever see me the same again. I cheated before Christmas, by using anagram solvers. I must have been painfully obvious, as people realised as soon as I started. I then tried to protest my innocence, but Charlie has obviously seen straight through me anyway.

I must highly commend the cheat detector, although it probably wasn't required for me!

I'd like to also suggest that any other cheaters should own up here, otherwise they should have their accounts terminated (like an amnesty).

I'd also like to ask something. Is the use of a manual OED permitted? I'd suggest not, but I really can't see how the detector would find that! I have looked up words after in the past, but not during.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to get it off my chest.
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Sorry everyone

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Well done for being honest is all I say. Takes a brave man.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Well done for being honest is all I say. Takes a brave man.
What he said.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Good for you - I echo Kirk's senitments
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Like I said before, thanks for owning up.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Adam Dexter wrote:I am truly sorry, and am literally sitting in tears, having read about all the hard work it took to make.
Dry your eyes mate. A lesson learned the hard way is a lesson learned nonetheless. And a man who apologises is more of a man for it. Next time I see you on Apterous I'll gladly give you a game.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Yeah, I appreciate your honesty mate, and I hope you get back to playing and improving the old-fashioned way.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

That took a lot of courage Adam.

Well done!

Al
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Adam Dexter wrote:I'd also like to ask something. Is the use of a manual OED permitted? I'd suggest not, but I really can't see how the detector would find that! I have looked up words after in the past, but not during.
It would be cheating to use the dictionary in a round, even if undetectable. I'm not sure how the detector works anyway, but I don't think it could directly detect that you're using a word-finder thing anyway could it? I assumed that it looked at various patterns to your declarations but maybe I'm wrong.

But anyway, good on you for owning up. And to everyone else, it's probably a good idea to start cheating then own up, because it's a sure fire way of getting people to "big you up". :mrgreen:
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Adam Dexter wrote:And to everyone else, it's probably a good idea to start cheating then own up, because it's a sure fire way of getting people to "big you up". :mrgreen:
Well I didn't do this with that intention. It would obviously have been a lot better to never have cheated in the first place. I take no pleasure in whatever "bigging up" there might be, as I know it to be built on false pretences (rather like the Foolish Man who built his house upon the sand, as opposed to the Wise Man who built his house upon the rock).
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

OK so I can't work the quoting tool.. lol.. that was not me that said that (obviously). :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Adam Dexter wrote:Well I didn't do this with that intention.
Yeah I know - I was just messing about.