Appreciation for Charlie

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Appreciation for Charlie

Post by Clare Sudbery »

I think Apterous is bloody marvellous and Charlie deserves a medal for all the work he puts into it.

He also deserves as much time off / rest as he needs from it all. Indefinitely if need be.

So anyway, three cheers for Charlie. And a virtual beer (or several) on me.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Appreciation for Charlie

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Agreed. During the early days I did most of the work, but since it's gone live he's been on the bugs like an Aptogazelle.

Well done Chazm8.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Clare Sudbery wrote:And a virtual beer (or several) on me.
Any chance of a Coke instead? ;)

I think Charlie is doing an amazing job (quoting DO'D: Charlie's a ****ing legend! Sorry Kai) running everything. He is the most amazing Shaggy lookalike I have ever lost to.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Agreed. Thanks Charlie for all your hard work on Apterous. It's such a great program and inspired many of us to practise hard and I wouldn't know half the words I do now without it, I'm sure so thanks once again.

I think a lot of us non-programmers can't appreciate how much time and effort it takes to fix certain bugs and one can imagine if there are lots of bugs then the programmer perhaps feel like they've failed in their mission to write correct code and is quite downhearted. What you've achieved is *massive* - just look at how sparse msn games were and now look how popular the game is.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Hi Jon, I didn't know you did work on it too. So you get some virtual beers (or coke if you're underage, but young Mr Laddiman, did you not know what it does to your guts? Can I tempt you to some apple juice instead? ;o)) as well! Hurrah for the Apterous team.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

This is one of the best computer games of all time and awards should be won for it, even if it means I'm posting something positive.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Couldn't agree more. It is an amazing site, and he does indeed deserve a medal (and time off, but only once he's taught someone else to run it ;) ) :)
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Massive thanks to Charlie are definitely due. I can't comprehend how much effort had to be put in to make every one of the countless features on Apterous, and to have them work so well (seriously, I've barely encountered any problems in all the time I've spent on it, and it would be ridiculous to think that they even come close to outweighing the fun and usefulness of this site, or even move the scales). You've built a fantastic and successful site - and also a community - with relatively little help, which is very probably a greater achievement than any that I or anyone else here can honestly lay claim to.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I was thinking of starting a similar topic myself. I am #1 apterous fan and all I could do is to repeat what others have said.

Also, I need to offer my thanks for the forum too, without them both I would never be able to apply for the show. I don't know how others get so good without them both! I am so priveleged to be part of the (frighteningly intelligent) online countdown community. Thanks to Jono, I didn't realise how much work you've put in. You guys are geniuses :D

EDIT: just seen why this thread was created. I'd be more than willing to offer as much time as was needed in helping with things but I suppose my IT GCSE wouldn't really suffice when it comes to this tricky stuff. If there ever was anything really dull but straight-forward I could help with, like I said, I'd be happy to.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I'm sure Charlie's mini-rant and his locking of the bug reports topic wasn't intended to provoke an outburst of sycophancy and he is probably groaning with despair at the very existence of this thread. But this thread isn't really for Charlie; it's catharsis for the rest of us. So, Charlie - your creations are much appreciated by us all, and the phenomenal number of hours you spend improving and maintaining apterous, in particular, are deserving of any practical and/or moral support we can give.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

I must echo my appreciation for all the work done by Charlie and the team on apterous.

It is an excellent programme and I spend far more time on it than my family would like!

Cheers guys

Al
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I appreciate his intentions in creating apterous, but find his recent attitude concerning the bug reports despicable, particularly as many of us have paid a lot of money (in difficult economic times). If I parted with cash and receive this kind of service level elsewhere, I would be initiating some kind of formal complaint. In this instance this would seem kinda futile, so I suppose I'll just have to chalk this one off to experience and be a little more careful next time that when I pay for something, I'm going to reasonably assured of receiving it, or at the very least some route for recompense if I am disappointed.

In summary: Charlie :x
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I think apterous is brilliant, and many thanks to Charlie and Jono for creating and managing it.

Nobody (especially me! ;) ) is ever going to be completely happy with all aspects of something as complex as apterous, but that doesn't mean we don't appreciate it. 8-)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Donation = paying for a service? Hmmm.

And fwiw... there's a difference between sycophancy and appreciation. He deserved a pat on the back. He got one. End of.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Clare Sudbery wrote:Donation = paying for a service? Hmmm.

And fwiw... there's a difference between sycophancy and appreciation. He deserved a pat on the back. He got one. End of.
I could be hugely wrong, Clare, but I think Jon was using his rather warped sense of humour.
I don't think anyone was meant to take his rant seriously.

His posts do rather take some getting used to. ;)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Either sycophancy or back-patting is much appreciated right now. I'm planning to take a week or so off and then see how I feel. Please continue to enjoy the site in my absence.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Agreed!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Oh dear. I've always been embarrassingly gullible... but thanks for the heads up Julie. And of course, reading it back I can see the humour.

Ouch.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Only one bite :(

I'm losing my touch...
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

:lol: