New Countdown App Looking for Beta Testers

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Re: New Countdown App Looking for Beta Testers

Post by JackHurst »

If the high score gets beaten this weekend I will be giving away a prize to whoever gets the highest score over the weekend. (Tiebreak is earliest score submitted)
Current score is 164 by Tom Carey
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Post by Dan Byrom »

Unlike Apto, it's possible in this app to keep restarting games until you get a 9 in Round 1. This would seem to be a sensible strategy for aiming for a high score, but I'm guessing this would be frowned upon? Any way to prevent this from happening? Or planning to just let it happen?
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Dan Byrom wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:02 pm Unlike Apto, it's possible in this app to keep restarting games until you get a 9 in Round 1. This would seem to be a sensible strategy for aiming for a high score, but I'm guessing this would be frowned upon? Any way to prevent this from happening? Or planning to just let it happen?
It's not the fairest way to play the game, so I'd hope people don't do it. Maybe in the future I can put some work into making it a bit more watertight, but right now there's probably quite a lot of other stuff that's higher priority.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

We're almost at 1000 high scores submitted to the game! To celebrate I'll be giving away a special prize to the player who hits game 1000. Rules:
- Has to be a 15 rounder scoring over 100
- No prize will be awarded if gameId 1000 isn't a 15 rounder or if its a score < 100

Game 1000 will be hit today, so get your phone out if you want to win :)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

An asbolute shedload of games were played yesterday and we smashed through the 1k games mark :)

Ben Wilson takes the prize for submitting a 107 15rounder as game 1000. It was a close call, with him having to unscramble EBOWSOFRU to get the century, and with Fiona T narrowly missing out by being 2 minutes too early.

It's quite convenient that Ben wins the prize, because now I can get the Colin Prize that I'm planning for the app also delivered to his house :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

JackHurst wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:48 am An asbolute shedload of games were played yesterday and we smashed through the 1k games mark :)

Ben Wilson takes the prize for submitting a 107 15rounder as game 1000. It was a close call, with him having to unscramble EBOWSOFRU to get the century, and with Fiona T narrowly missing out by being 2 minutes too early.

It's quite convenient that Ben wins the prize, because now I can get the Colin Prize that I'm planning for the app also delivered to his house :)
You could also hand it over at COLIN itself, just saying...