Countdown Scattergories V

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Countdown Scattergories V

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Here is the fifth instalment of the Countdown Scattergories game. Below are 10 word rounds and for each round you are to find a word of a specific length. The idea is to come up with a word, that you think will be the least mentioned by the other players. For each round, there are now only 7 possible answers (well hopefully :P).

R01: C O I F E D B A D - 6 Letter Word
R02: C A S I N O S E T - 8 Letter Word
R03: S A I N T M O D E - 8 Letter Word
R04: A L S O M I M E D - 7 Letter Word
R05: P I E Z O H A N G - 6 Letter Word
R06: F I X W E A P O N - 5 Letter Word
R07: O A T H S I R E N - 8 Letter Word
R08: T O R E N I N J A - 7 Letter Word
R09: S A V O Y P I K E - 6 Letter Word
R10: O I L M E N Q A T - 7 Letter Word

How To Enter
Please PM me with your answers for each round :). You can do this by viewing my Profile and clicking on the PM icon, to send me a private message :).

Rules
1. Check that your words are allowed before submitting your entry. The best way to do this (because not everyone will have an OED2r) is to use the Stemmer feature on Apterous. To use the feature, just type in your word but leaving out one letter (eg if word was APTEROUS, type in APTEROU etc) and then it should come up below.
2. Check that your words match the required length for each round before submitting.
3. Check that your words match the selection for each round before submitting.
4. Check that you have spelt your words correctly before submitting.
5. If your word breaks any of the rules above (1 - 4), then you will be allowed to come up with a second word for the round, however, you will then only score half the points for the word (Eg if in Game 1, Round 1 you came up with HEARING, which is too short and then after being allowed to guess again, you then said CHEATING, you would then have only scored 3.5 points). If you have to come up with a second word, but don't submit it in the time limit, you will get no points for the round.
6. Once you have submitted a word that is acceptable for the round, you can not change your answer.
7. Once you have submitted an entry, you are not allowed to delete it before I have read it. If this happens, you will be allowed to have another go, but your OVERALL SCORE at the end, will be halved.

Scoring
Each word is scored depending on the number of times that it has been mentioned. If a word is only mentioned once, then it will get 10 points, a word mentioned twice will get 9 points and so on down to 0 points for words mentioned more than 10 times. In instances where you have to submit a second word, you will then only score half the points for the word (see rule 5). If you have to come up with a second word, but don't submit it in the time limit, you will get no points for the round.

Time Limit
The competition will close on Friday 23rd January at 10 PM (22:00) :)
All entries received after the closing date and time, will not be counted.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Countdown Scattergories V

Post by Charlie Reams »

Please post this in the Games and Puzzles forum in future.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:Please post this in the Games and Puzzles forum in future.
Will do :). Thank you for moving this over to the correct forum :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

This competition is now closed :)
The answers and scores will be up shortly :)
The best of luck to all who entered :)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Whoops...
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Michael Wallace wrote:Whoops...
Stupid Raccoon Boy.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Whoops...
Stupid Raccoon Boy.
Raccoon Boy?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

The competition has now closed :)

The winners of the fifth Countdown Scattergories game are Stewart Scott and Dinos Syfris :D

The overall scoreboard came out as follows:

1st - Stewart Scott: 83
1st - Dinos Syfris: 83
3rd - Callum Laddiman: 82
4th - Kai Laddiman: 81
4th - Kirk Bevins: 81
6th - Rosemary Roberts: 79
7th - Howard Somerset: 76
8th - Debbi Flack: 74
9th - Matt Morrison: 73
9th - Neil Zussman: 73
11th - Kevin Thurlow: 72
12th - Stuart Moore: 71
13th - Naomi Laddiman: 70
14th - Psycho Tony: 67
15th - Ian Volante: 63

Everyone's guesses and scores can be found here.

Thank you to all who participted and well done to Stewart and Dinos :)

Here are the available words (I had) for each round, that were not mentioned:

R01: ABIDED, BIFACE
R02: CINEASTS
R03: ATOMISED
R05: HOAGIE, HOEING
R07: NOTARISE
R08: ENATION
R09: KAYOES
R10: ALIMENT, ELATION
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Thanks for the competition, Joseph. When looking at the results I thought you'd forgotten my entry; I always start by reading from the bottom as it's usually a lot quicker. Definitely not used to the dizzy heights above the half-way mark.

If you're going to continue this I'll try to enter an even numbered competition for the first time.

And well done Stewart and Dinos. :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Howard Somerset wrote:Thanks for the competition, Joseph. When looking at the results I thought you'd forgotten my entry; I always start by reading from the bottom as it's usually a lot quicker. Definitely not used to the dizzy heights above the half-way mark.

If you're going to continue this I'll try to enter an even numbered competition for the first time.

And well done Stewart and Dinos. :)
Thank you Howard, I enjoy doing these competitions :)

I normally reply by PM so you know that I have recieved your answers and also incase I need to point any disallowed words etc :) I think there will definitely be another game without a doubt :D, but I'm not sure what you mean by:
Howard Somerset wrote:I'll try to enter an even numbered competition for the first time
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Epic win!!!!! Wont reveal my strategem yet. Will see if it prevails next time. Although it looks like my decision to go for TRANNIE due to the lol factor sealed the win! Also I bet Joseph that Kirk would pick TELAMON but I picked it anyway! I know him that well!
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Joseph Bolas wrote: I think there will definitely be another game without a doubt :D, but I'm not sure what you mean by:
Howard Somerset wrote:I'll try to enter an even numbered competition for the first time
I entered Scattegories I, III and V, but missed the deadlines for II and IV. :)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

If there are any mor of these, we'll have to create a new Scattergories sub-forum. :D

I am absolutely mad that Scrabble was the reason I didn't win (I had NARTJIE, which is valid in Scrabble, disallowed as I didn't have access to the stemmer). :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :( :( :(
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Epic win!!!!! Wont reveal my strategem yet. Will see if it prevails next time. Although it looks like my decision to go for TRANNIE due to the lol factor sealed the win! Also I bet Joseph that Kirk would pick TELAMON but I picked it anyway! I know him that well!
You were right indeed Dinos about Kirk picking TELAMON :D.

Howard Somerset wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote: I think there will definitely be another game without a doubt :D, but I'm not sure what you mean by:
I entered Scattegories I, III and V, but missed the deadlines for II and IV. :)
I get what you mean now Howard :D.

Kai Laddiman wrote:If there are any mor of these, we'll have to create a new Scattergories sub-forum. :D

I am absolutely mad that Scrabble was the reason I didn't win (I had NARTJIE, which is valid in Scrabble, disallowed as I didn't have access to the stemmer). :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :( :( :(
I think that's partially why the Games and Puzzle forum was created :lol: :D

You will win one Kai :D
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

That was enjoyable. Thanks Joseph. :)
Mid-table obscurity for me, well done Stewart and Dinos.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Just a note to all that Countdown Scattergories VI will be posted at around midnight tonight :)

So far in this competiton, there have been a total of 398 words (12 words repeated twice), which are:

ABIDED, ABLOOM, ABODED, ABSEILS, ACONITES, ADAPTERS, ADEPTLY, ADIPATES, AEGIS, AILMENT, AIRDATES, ALBEDOS, ALERTING, ALIMENT, ALPINES, ALTERING, AMNIOTE, AMNIOTES, AMORTISE, ANTIDOTE, APOSTLE, ARKOSE, AROUSE, ARTIEST, ARTISTE, ASPERSED, ASPIRATE, ASSERTED, ASTEROID, ATOMISED, ATOMISER, ATTIRE, ATTIRES, ATTORNED, AXION, AZINE, BADDIE, BAKERS, BEAKER, BIFACE, BLOOMS, BLOUSED, BLOUSES, BODICE, BODIED, BOINGED, BOLASES, BOLUSES, BRAKES, BRAWLS, BREAKS, BREEKS, BRINGER, BROOMS, BUSLOAD, CADDIE, CAHIERS, CALORIES, CANOEIST, CARIOLES, CASHIER, CATERING, CATTIER, CHARTING, CHATTER, CHEATING, CHITTER, CHOOSER, CINEASTS, CINQUES, CITRATE, CLAVIERS, COMITY, COMMIT, CONTESSA, COUNTY, CREATING, CUISHES, CUMMIN, DEARESTS, DEINSTAL, DELATION, DELATOR, DEMOUNT, DENTURE, DEPLOYS, DERATION, DETAILS, DEVOUR, DIASTOLE, DILATES, DILEMMA, DILUTES, DOMAINES, DOMINATE, DOOMIEST, DOOMSTER, DOUBLES, DOWNER, DRIPS, DUALISE, DUALIST, EARTHING, EATERY, ECHINUS, ELATION, ENATION, ENDURO, ENERGIES, ENERGISE, ENTRAIN, EPIZOA, EPSILON, EQUIP, ERODING, ETERNISE, EXERT, EXTRACT, FABLESS, FALSIES, FINAGLER, FINALES, FINLESS, FIRING, FOXIE, GAGES, GANGLIER, GAZES, GEARINGS, GIVES, GREASING, GREENEST, GREENIES, GRIFTS, GRINDER, GROINED, GUNNER, HACKERS, HAIRNETS, HANGER, HAZING, HEARINGS, HEROICS, HIJACKS, HOAGIE, HOARIEST, HOEING, HOPING, HORNIEST, HUNGER, IGNORED, IGNORER, INCUSES, INFLATER, INGATHER, INHALERS, INSURE, INTEGERS, INTEGRAL, INTONER, INURES, IONISE, IRITIS, ISOLATED, IVIES, JACKSIE, JANITOR, JITTERS, JOINTER, JOKERS, JOSTLE, KAREES, KAYOES, KEBABS, KETONE, KORUNA, LANDTIES, LASSOED, LEASHING, LEOTARD, LESBIAN, LEVATOR, LOUVRED, LOWEST, LUXATED, LUXATES, MARDIEST, MASOOR, MEDIANTS, MEDIATOR, MELISMA, MIDSOLE, MISDEAL, MISLEAD, MODERNE, MOIDORES, MOLARS, MOLEST, MOLIES, MOODIEST, MORALS, MORDENT, MORTISED, MOTELS, MOTILE, MOTORISE, MOUNTED, MOUNTER, MOURNED, MUONIC, MUTINY, MYOTIC, NAKERS, NARGHILE, NEATER, NITRATED, NIXERS, NIXIES, NOPALES, NORTENA, NOSIER, NOTARIES, NOTARISE, NOTARY, NURAGH, NURSIE, OCHREAS, OKAPIS, OLEFINS, OMENTAL, OPALINE, OPINE, ORACHES, ORDINATE, ORNATE, OVERDO, OVERSAIL, OVULATE, OWLETS, PAEON, PARADISE, PARASITE, PEDALOS, PEDERAST, PELOTAS, PHIZOG, PIANO, PIEZO, PIGEON, PIKEYS, PINEALS, PIQUE, PISKEY, POKEYS, POKIES, POWAN, PREDATES, PUDUS, PUNNER, PURIS, QUEAN, QUICHES, QUIDS, QUINCES, QUIPS, QUIPU, QUOIN, QWERTY, RADIATES, RATCHET, RATIONED, RATITE, RATITES, REACHING, REACTING, READAPTS, READMITS, REALIGNS, REASON, REBABS, REBASE, REBBES, REDOING, REGALING, REHANG, REHUNG, RELATING, REMOUNT, REPASSED, RESIGNAL, RETAKE, RETCHING, RETIE, RETUNED, RICKSHA, RINGHALS, RISING, ROACHES, ROOMIEST, ROULADE, RYOKAN, SAINTDOM, SALINES, SALUTED, SCANTIES, SCORIAE, SECTIONS, SEDATION, SEIZA, SENIOR, SENORA, SENORITA, SEPTARIA, SEQUINS, SHAKIER, SHEALING, SHEARING, SHICKER, SILANES, SIRING, SITING, SLAGGIER, SLAMMED, SLANGIER, SLIMMED, SOAKER, SODALITE, SODOMITE, SOMITE, SONICATE, SPALTED, SPANIEL, SPLAYED, SQUID, SQUINCH, STAPLED, STEERING, STRIATE, STRING, TADPOLE, TANGLIER, TANKER, TASTIER, TEACHING, TEAPOYS, TECTRIX, TEENSIER, TELAMON, TENTORIA, TENURED, TETANOID, TETRI, THERIAC, THERIANS, TIRING, TITRE, TOENAIL, TOENAILS, TOILES, TORULAE, TOWELS, TRAIPSED, TRANNIE, TRAPESED, TRAPESES, TREATY, TRIANGLE, TRITE, TUTEE, TZARIST, UNHANG, UNICOM, UNISEX, UNROVE, UNZIP, URSINE, USURP, UTERI, UTTER, VALORISE, VARICOSE, VAULTED, VAULTER, VEGAS, VENDOR, VIGAS, VISCERAL, VOCALISE, VOLUTED, WABOOM, WAITER, WATERY, WAXEN, WITTER, WONDER, WOODEN, YAPOKS and YATTER.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gawd, last-first-last! I'm not quite getting this yet.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Just a note to all that Countdown Scattergories VI will be posted at around midnight tonight :)
Joseph, if you plan to run a game per week for the foreseeable future you might prefer to change to a more manageable numbering system. Or are you preparing us for a new-style numbers game - all working to be shown in Roman numerals?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ian Volante wrote:Gawd, last-first-last! I'm not quite getting this yet.
I could work out the overall stats if you want :D
Rosemary Roberts wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:Just a note to all that Countdown Scattergories VI will be posted at around midnight tonight :)
Joseph, if you plan to run a game per week for the foreseeable future you might prefer to change to a more manageable numbering system. Or are you preparing us for a new-style numbers game - all working to be shown in Roman numerals?
I change to numbers if you prefer.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

I didn't mean that, I don't mind either way. But it might get a bit unwieldy after five years or so.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:I didn't mean that, I don't mind either way. But it might get a bit unwieldy after five years or so.
I don't think this game would last for 5 years :lol: or CCLX weeks :P

I could hold off the 6th game until February and then I could a game once per month :D
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I could hold off the 6th game until February and then I could a game once per month
No :evil:
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:I could hold off the 6th game until February and then I could a game once per month
No :evil:
Well I guess I could do this one tonight, as it will finish ont he last day of January and then spread them out a bit more starting in February :)