Who has non-Countdown-style hobbies?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Who has non-Countdown-style hobbies?

Post by Matt Morrison »

Have you got a hobby or interest that you predict no-one else in this forum takes part in?

Best I can come up with at the moment is watching UFC, I doubt most of the fighters have constructed a 9-letter world in all their years.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Re: Who has non-Countdown-style hobbies?

Post by Ian Dent »

Cricket.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Sex.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Any other croquet players?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I think I am the only person in here who does Origami.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I had sex once. I don't think it'll catch on.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Listening to Des O'Connor records

:arrow:

whilst having sex. :twisted: ;)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Listening to Des whilst having sex... that is slightly worrying.

Not as worrying as listening to Des records whilst having sex and doing origami with UFC on the TV and your mind on posh sports like cricket and croquet.
That'd be really worrying.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Also Chinese. Language, rather than takeaway.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Matt Morrison wrote:Not as worrying as listening to Des records whilst having sex and doing origami with UFC on the TV and your mind on posh sports like cricket and croquet.
Have you ever been having sex and there's something naff on TV in the background, like Noel's House Party or something, and someone says something actually rather funny and you and your partner aren't sure if you should laugh or not because that would admit you're listening to the TV at the same time?

No? Me neither. :? :lol:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:Also Chinese. Language, rather than takeaway.
Interesting, Charlie... what inspired this? have you been/intend to go to China?
One of my girlfriends at uni was studying Japanese, I'm not suggesting they are at all similar lanugages (though they might be) but I found it infinitely intriguing.
Lesley Jeavons wrote:Have you ever been having sex and there's something naff on TV in the background, like Noel's House Party or something, and someone says something actually rather funny and you and your partner aren't sure if you should laugh or not because that would admit you're listening to the TV at the same time?
Best bit about your post Lesley was that when I first read it I thought the "someone" who "says something actually rather funny" was a third party in the room, didn't realise you were referring to the telly!
Fun times... might make another great forum thread: "If you had to pick someone, who would you choose to have in the room whilst you have sex with your partner?"
And no I don't recall any nightmare TV-sex-etiquette moments but I've had to dismount to change the music before if a really awful selection has come on (I play my whole collection on shuffle mostly).
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Going on languages I tried learning Japanese, but I have a bit of a short attention span, so gave up :(
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Mine's theatre, although I doubt if it's unique among C4Cers.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Matt Morrison wrote:Best bit about your post Lesley was that when I first read it I thought the "someone" who "says something actually rather funny" was a third party in the room, didn't realise you were referring to the telly!
Fun times... might make another great forum thread: "If you had to pick someone, who would you choose to have in the room whilst you have sex with your partner?"
And no I don't recall any nightmare TV-sex-etiquette moments but I've had to dismount to change the music before if a really awful selection has come on (I play my whole collection on shuffle mostly).
ROFLMAO Matt. Misinterpretation is a funny thing. And your use of the world dismount is the best ever! lol It just makes me smile as it makes me picture you in some form of full regalia.
Hmmm to your poser... don't think I'd ever manage it... it's bad enough with the cats staring at you thinking "What are you doing that for?" :shock:
BTW, you could delete the awful stuff off your iPod. Or make a lurve playlist (a long one, obviously! ;) ).

@ Phil, I love theatre too - musicals and plays. Saw Cabaret the other night - absolutely fabulous! Though, erm, perhaps too racey for my eight year old son. But ho humm, you live and learn! :lol: My brother's an actor so I go to see him in small, lesser known things, and then he rolls his eyes at me when I go and see a big West End style production starring someone famous. I'm just happy to support ANY theatre.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Theatre - acting or spectating? Me too. Both actually, but ony amdram and twas ages ago.

Anyone else here do storytelling? A bit like the folk music scene, people meet up and tell stories. No printed word, all aural / live. Lots of fun. Or trapeze? That's another of mine, although haven't done it for a while. Ditto performance poetry. Knitting? Hmm, might be a few knitters here...
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:Listening to Des O'Connor records

whilst having sex. :twisted: ;)
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.........now I'm doing patchwork and quilting, much more interesting!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:@ Phil, I love theatre too - musicals and plays. Saw Cabaret the other night - absolutely fabulous! Though, erm, perhaps too racey for my eight year old son. But ho humm, you live and learn! :lol: My brother's an actor so I go to see him in small, lesser known things, and then he rolls his eyes at me when I go and see a big West End style production starring someone famous. I'm just happy to support ANY theatre.
I meant participating in theatre, i.e. performing, directing etc. As far as spectating goes, I'm with you on seeing a wide range of stuff - some of the best things I've seen in the past year or two have been Broadway/West End musicals.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Oh I had no idea you were a performer Phil - great! I wish I'd not been so shy growing up, with my brother being the upfront one and me being more withdrawn, as I'd have loved to have been a performer. :| Will, add "see Phil in greasepaint and tights' to my life's 'to do' list". :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

He'd much rather I added it to my to-do list instead.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

We could all go - group outing. Or therapy! :lol:

Talking of my brother acting - he's in a short film filmed in Paris and it's been selected for the Clermont-Ferrand International short film festival, whatever that is! :?

He posted this on facebook yesterday, he's called Scott, and he plays the first bloke, with the beard and glasses - Scott! lol (BTW send me a friend request anyone here that I know):

http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php#/v ... 003&ref=nf
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:He posted this on facebook yesterday, he's called Scott, and he plays the first bloke, with the beard and glasses - Scott!
Ha! Nice! Will look out for the full length version! Scott was great and the cinematography didn't seem half bad either :D
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

anal.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jimmy wrote:anal.
you haven't spent enough time here Jimmy, we have some of the most anal forummers you're ever likely to come across.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Interesting, Charlie... what inspired this? have you been/intend to go to China?
One of my girlfriends at uni was studying Japanese, I'm not suggesting they are at all similar lanugages (though they might be) but I found it infinitely intriguing.
Just thought it would be cool and mind-expanding, and it's both. And yes, Chinese and Japanese have quite similar written languages, at least for very common words. I don't know enough Japanese to say if the spoken languages are similar but I would think not.
Les Butterworth
Rookie

Post by Les Butterworth »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Not as worrying as listening to Des records whilst having sex and doing origami with UFC on the TV and your mind on posh sports like cricket and croquet.
Have you ever been having sex and there's something naff on TV in the background, like Noel's House Party or something, and someone says something actually rather funny and you and your partner aren't sure if you should laugh or not because that would admit you're listening to the TV at the same time?

No? Me neither. :? :lol:

An ex GF used to enjoy shall I say a massage whilst watching coronation street have never watched it since!!!! or any other soap.
Katherine Birkett
Rookie

Post by Katherine Birkett »

Matt Morrison wrote:Listening to Des whilst having sex...
What about listening to Des O'Connor records whilst watching Des O'Connor having sex? :oops: :mrgreen:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Katherine Birkett wrote:
What about listening to Des O'Connor records whilst watching Des O'Connor having sex? :oops: :mrgreen:
Is that a fantasy or an actual hobby?! If it's a hobby, you clearly win this whole thing.
Katherine Birkett
Rookie

Post by Katherine Birkett »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Katherine Birkett wrote:
Is that a fantasy or an actual hobby?! If it's a hobby, you clearly win this whole thing.
Erm - neither.

I enjoy making my own Dance music mixes on iTunes.....
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Just thought it would be cool and mind-expanding, and it's both. And yes, Chinese and Japanese have quite similar written languages, at least for very common words. I don't know enough Japanese to say if the spoken languages are similar but I would think not.
I believe on Wikipedia it says that the Japanese didn't have their own writing system, so they borrowed the Chinese one. I'm feeling to lazy to find a link for that.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I'd say that finally something has moved before Scrabble/Countdown in term of hobbies - multilingualism. Some of the Latin languages are so similar that if you can understand a couple of them, you can understand quite well at least 10 languages. I'm also doing an Old French module at Leeds Uni, which has got me interested in Latin. Other than that, poker for fun - I think the luck factor's so enourmous that nobody should ever play for money, it just baffles me. Why play for a million dollars a game that is 60% luck (quote from the Devilfish). I like classical music, and music in general (like everyone) and I go to the theatre (The Nutcracker was what we saw last). That's about it I suppose.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Karate. Wado Ryu to be precise. I know Dave C is also a fan but not sure about anyone else. I enjoy it just cus it keeps me fit, I like going to competitions and most importantly to learn how to deck people :P Will be grading for my 1st kyu soon (one step before black belt) Wish me luck :)
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Nigerian crime novels.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Snowflake dimensions.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Not really a hobby, but I like playing puzzle-based games like Kula World and Kurushi.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:He'd much rather I added it to my to-do list instead.
Admit it: you'd much rather I added you to my to-do list.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Joseph, they sound really interesting (I've not heard of them before). I could see myself getting very addicted. As it is I've refused to allow myself anywhere near games consoles* or most computer games since my Lemmings addiction many years ago... I just know I'd never get anything else done!

*Unfortunately I now have two sons, one of whom recently acquired a DS, for which I couldn't resist getting myself Professor Layton (fun, but mostly easy)... slippery slope, I suspect...
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Kirk, how does 'snowflake dimensions' work as a hobby? I'm guessing it's a little more than "ooh, this one has a diameter of 0.39mm!"

I'm intrigued.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:He'd much rather I added it to my to-do list instead.
Admit it: you'd much rather I added you to my to-do list.
Only so I could then enjoy turning you down ;)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Clare Sudbery wrote:Kirk, how does 'snowflake dimensions' work as a hobby? I'm guessing it's a little more than "ooh, this one has a diameter of 0.39mm!"
I imagine he's referring to fractal dimensions rather than actually measuring snowflakes.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Clare Sudbery wrote:Kirk, how does 'snowflake dimensions' work as a hobby? I'm guessing it's a little more than "ooh, this one has a diameter of 0.39mm!"
I imagine he's referring to fractal dimensions rather than actually measuring snowflakes.
But knowing Kirk, he's probably measuring them, logging them, and reporting back to the Japanese government about the likelihood of an American invasion.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Snowf ... entley.jpg

Lovely snowflakes!
Charlie Reams wrote: I imagine he's referring to fractal dimensions rather than actually measuring snowflakes.

Yeah, that's what I do. It's quite a fun hobby but I get a bit bored most of the year round and I haven't really got the money to travel to Canada all the time so usually I just make the dimensions up. Nobody's gonna know....
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:Will add "see Phil in greasepaint and tights' to my life's 'to do' list". :)
Ha. It's many years now since I've worn either greasepaint or tights (at least on stage). And audiences for my next role will see me wearing considerably less...

The trailer for your brother's film makes it look like good fun and very professionally made. Here's hoping it brings him some positive attention.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Clare Sudbery wrote:Joseph, they sound really interesting (I've not heard of them before). I could see myself getting very addicted. As it is I've refused to allow myself anywhere near games consoles* or most computer games since my Lemmings addiction many years ago... I just know I'd never get anything else done!

*Unfortunately I now have two sons, one of whom recently acquired a DS, for which I couldn't resist getting myself Professor Layton (fun, but mostly easy)... slippery slope, I suspect...
They are brilliant Puzzles. I also forgot to mention Devil Dice as well which is fun and addictive.

Lemmings wasn't too bad. Worms is an awesome game.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I played assassins when I was at Cambridge, but I'm not sure that counts as a hobby any more now that I only do it when I visit (and even then not properly). I also do statistics as a hobby, but I'm not sure that really counts either since it's what I'm supposed to be doing anyway (well, my 'hobby' statistics tend not to be what I'm supposed to be doing, but still).
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Martin Gardner wrote:I believe on Wikipedia it says that the Japanese didn't have their own writing system, so they borrowed the Chinese one. I'm feeling to lazy to find a link for that.
The Japanese do use Chinese script, though they assign Japanese words to many of the symbols (obviously). They also use a few syllabaries for loan words and translation. I once spent a week learning the katakana script, it doesn't have too many symbols to remember and it was good fun. Now I can only remember the meaning of about three symbols so it was probably a waste of time. As for the relatedness of Japanese to Chinese, Japanese is pretty much considered a language isolate (bar a few related languages spoke on the islands that make up Japan) so there isn't really a connection at all outside of loan words and stuff.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I myself am partial to a spot of raccoon-eating.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Charlie, do you have someone you really like at the moment?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

In addition to playing videogames I am a keen collector and possess a... reasonable... collection spanning about 30 years (Combat is still remarkably playable even today). Currently Fallout 3 is occupying most of my time. At least it would be if my Xbox didn't kill itself last week.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

"usually I just make the dimensions up. Nobody's gonna know...."

LOL!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ben Hunter wrote:I once spent a week learning the katakana script, it doesn't have too many symbols to remember and it was good fun. Now I can only remember the meaning of about three symbols so it was probably a waste of time. As for the relatedness of Japanese to Chinese, Japanese is pretty much considered a language isolate (bar a few related languages spoke on the islands that make up Japan) so there isn't really a connection at all outside of loan words and stuff.
The Japanese have 3 sets of symbols Katakana, Hiragana and Kanji.

Like you've said, the Katakana and Hiragana are quite simple to learn as there is not that many symbols, but there is 2,230 Kanji symbols. I have a book called The Kodansha Kanji Leaner's Dictionary, that lists all the symbols, how to write them and what each symbol means (and how to use it with other symbols).
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Jason Larsen wrote:Charlie, do you have someone you really like at the moment?
Must admit, that occurred to me, too, Jason!
Since Charlie claimed on the show not to have a girlfriend, but wanting one, are we talking solo sex here, Charlie?? :lol:
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Julie T wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:Charlie, do you have someone you really like at the moment?
Must admit, that occurred to me, too, Jason!
Since Charlie claimed on the show not to have a girlfriend, but wanting one, are we talking solo sex here, Charlie?? :lol:
That definitely wouldn't count as a hobby that's rare amongst forumites!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I bet he would always tell us the truth, Julie!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote:I bet he would always tell us the truth, Julie!
I bet he wouldn't.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Kirk...
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote:Kirk...
Jason...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:Kirk...
Jason...
Kirk and Jason...
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Lesley Jeavons wrote:Will add "see Phil in greasepaint and tights' to my life's 'to do' list". :)
Ha. It's many years now since I've worn either greasepaint or tights (at least on stage). And audiences for my next role will see me wearing considerably less...

The trailer for your brother's film makes it look like good fun and very professionally made. Here's hoping it brings him some positive attention.
Ooh, I'm tempted by both... and you're not much further up the country than MK where family are... *ponders next weekend* I've never seen Educating Rita live, or The Full Monty for that matter.

Thank you re my brother - keep you posted. I've just found out he'll also be on TV this week - Stockwell on ITV1, Wed, 9pm. There's also a wee pic of him p4 this weeks Radio Times, on the tube with the bloke playing Menezes. :-/. http://www.itv.com/PressCentre/Stockwel ... fault.html
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Kirk, I wanted to tell you that what you said was not very nice, unless you were joking!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Hmm, it occurred to me whilst I was on the coach to ask whether the various people who've mentioned learning Japanese also read manga/watch anime (I wouldn't presume to be the only person who did this on here, since it's a fairly geeky 'hobby' (if you can even call it that)).