Equal Scoring Rounds

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Equal Scoring Rounds

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Whilst watching the David O'Donnell vs James Hurrell match, I noticed that in equal scoring rounds where the players have the same words the contestant who answered first checks the other players sheet, not Jeff Stelling or the Dictionary Corner guest. If this is a new thing, then if a player was behind and had a 9 and had to check their opponents sheet could they not just say that their opponent had nothing down.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Re: Equal Scoring Rounds

Post by Debbi Flack »

Not really

a/ it wouldnt be in the spirit of the game and
b/ if there was any dispute, Jeff or DC guest would double check anyway.
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

I doubt the other contestant would just sit there and let themselves be cheated out of 18 points.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Eoin.V.Monaghan wrote:Whilst watching the David O'Donnell vs James Hurrell match, I noticed that in equal scoring rounds where the players have the same words the contestant who answered first checks the other players sheet, not Jeff Stelling or the Dictionary Corner guest. If this is a new thing, then if a player was behind and had a 9 and had to check their opponents sheet could they not just say that their opponent had nothing down.
I think it has been explained on another thread but Jeff and DC are now sitting too far away to actually check the answers. They cut a gag I did which made me :evil: At the end of the second numbers I look at James's sheet perplexed for a moment and then turned it upside down - am a little gutted they didn't keep it in but can understand that it was either a) taking too much time in the edit; or more likely b) wasn't bloody funny!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David O'Donnell wrote:At the end of the second numbers I look at James's sheet perplexed for a moment and then turned it upside down - am a little gutted they didn't keep it in but can understand that it was either a) taking too much time in the edit; or more likely b) wasn't bloody funny!
I haven't seen it yet but my dad just told me that was cut :evil:

I thought it was ace :(
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

The haven't cut all clips like that, fortunately. There was a rather nice one when Kai was checking one of Richard Priest's solutions which didn't end up on the cutting room floor.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Howard Somerset wrote:The haven't cut all clips like that, fortunately. There was a rather nice one when Kai was checking one of Richard Priest's solutions which didn't end up on the cutting room floor.
FUCKING ageism :( Sorry, Kai.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I wonder where the ethical cut-off point comes before you ask for an adjudication. Something like LEOTRD - just a slip, forget it? But DIOPTR - could be hedging his bets, unsure whether it's RE or ER at the end? What if he's written DIOPTRE and DIOPTER? What about something like
2+4 x 100 2+3 = 6 594 One actual mistake, missing brackets, no minus sign at the end, but if you actually said that out loud you'd get away with it.

I've no doubt in the past any of these would have been accepted, and it would be a brave (and unsporting?) contestant who said anything. I certainly wouldn't.

David
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Eoin, that is a new change for this series and someone mentioned it in another thread. I think it was Charlie.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

The other contestant isn't the judge. All he has to do is say he doesn't think it's spelt right, and a proper judge will have a look. Which will no doubt be edited out of the final show.

I'd be interested to know what the official ruling would have been on "dioptr" if it had been passed to Richard/Des or Dictionary Corner - anyone know?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

So, that's when the Dictionary Corner guest looks it over, and he or she has the final say, David?
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

I have no official knowledge of what happens when a contestant disagrees with the other contestant's answer. But just by knowing the show I can confirm that neither contestant can disallow the other's word; and that if there is a disagreement it will not be shown on TV.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

So, in other words, it's all about our friend Susie, isn't it?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Roe wrote:I have no official knowledge of what happens when a contestant disagrees with the other contestant's answer. But just by knowing the show I can confirm that neither contestant can disallow the other's word; and that if there is a disagreement it will not be shown on TV.
But I imagine it's still awkward for someone to have to do.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Nobody has any prior knowledge, we should say.