December's Daily Duels

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

December's Daily Duels

Post by Charlie Reams »

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: December's Daily Duels

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Exciting!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ooohhh...does that mean tomorrow we get 2?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I think there will be alot of people in joint 1st place today :D
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I accidentally posted my comment in November's DD, but I'll repeat it: is it meant to be a time challenge or something?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I accidentally posted my comment in November's DD, but I'll repeat it: is it meant to be a time challenge or something?
Nope (I was hoping it was as well :lol:). Read Charlie's post above :D
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
I'm pretty sure 26th December is the first day of Christmas.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
It is and after 12 days it's January 6th and that's when you're supposed to take the christmas decorations down etc. I'm sure Charlie was aware of this but it was just a nice line to slip in.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I accidentally posted my comment in November's DD, but I'll repeat it: is it meant to be a time challenge or something?
Nope. I will do that at some point but you have to warn players in advance if buzz time is going to matter.
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Hmm... Didn't know a conundrum was allowed to have multiple solutions...
Frank
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:
It is and after 12 days it's January 6th and that's when you're supposed to take the christmas decorations down etc. I'm sure Charlie was aware of this but it was just a nice line to slip in.
Poor 25th - it's Christmas Day and yet not a day of Christmas! Is this really the case? I always knew that having 12 days of Christmas didn't add up if you started on the 25th, but thought that maybe someone in history couldn't count.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Poor 25th - it's Christmas Day and yet not a day of Christmas! Is this really the case? I always knew that having 12 days of Christmas didn't add up if you started on the 25th, but thought that maybe someone in history couldn't count.
Wiki has this, i.e. first day of Christmas starts on the evening of Christmas Day, so is mostly on Boxing Day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Days_of_Christmas

"The Twelve Days of Christmas, and the associated evenings of those twelve days (Twelve-tide), are the festive days beginning the evening of Christmas Day (December 25) through the morning of Epiphany (January 6). The associated evenings of the twelve days begin on the evening before the specified day. Thus, the first night of Christmas is December 25–26, and Twelfth Night is January 5–6. This period is also known as Christmastide."
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Kirk Bevins wrote:It is and after 12 days it's January 6th and that's when you're supposed to take the christmas decorations down etc.
No! Christmas decorations, trees, etc. should be taken down December 27th, so my b-day does not look like another Christmas... ;)
Frank
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Was just going to ask if today's was timed as well (I had that annoying squashed challenge), otherwise it's a pretty annoying duel. Unless there's 2 rounds tomorrow, 3 on Weds etc, in which case all is forgiven. I trust something good is going to happen anyway :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Frank Rodolf wrote:Hmm... Didn't know a conundrum was allowed to have multiple solutions...
They're not, really. I have no idea how today's conundrum slipped the net. Serious apologies to anyone who went for the wrong answer. I'll do a thorough revalidation of the whole lot.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote: Serious apologies to anyone who went for the wrong answer. I'll do a thorough revalidation of the whole lot.
Lucky you - nobody went for the wrong answer.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Frank Rodolf wrote:Hmm... Didn't know a conundrum was allowed to have multiple solutions...
Is DEINSTALL a word or is it something else? Am I talking about the right one?
Charlie Reams wrote:They're not, really. I have no idea how today's conundrum slipped the net. Serious apologies to anyone who went for the wrong answer. I'll do a thorough revalidation of the whole lot.
It wouldn't allow all valid solutions then?
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Is DEINSTALL a word or is it something else? Am I talking about the right one?
DEINSTALL was indeed the other possible answer.
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:They're not, really. I have no idea how today's conundrum slipped the net. Serious apologies to anyone who went for the wrong answer. I'll do a thorough revalidation of the whole lot.
It wouldn't allow all valid solutions then?
I could imagine the conundrum round is set up to only check for the one word expected - that would save some time.
Frank
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:
They're not, really. I have no idea how today's conundrum slipped the net. Serious apologies to anyone who went for the wrong answer. I'll do a thorough revalidation of the whole lot.
I was thinking that if both DEINSTALL and INSTALLED are in the conundrums list, then if someone said DEINSTALL instead of INSTALLED, then it would've accepted it, as DEINSTALL is in the conundrums list.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I was thinking that if both DEINSTALL and INSTALLED are in the conundrums list, then if someone said DEINSTALL instead of INSTALLED, then it would've accepted it, as DEINSTALL is in the conundrums list.
That's because you're not a programmer. Why double check that the answer given is a) an anagram of the conundrum given and b) in the conundrums list, when you already retrieved it in the first place to shuffle it?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Ah I get what's happening now. Bit annoyed that everyday is going to be concluded (almost) by two numbers games for a while, but at least that's a couple out of the way on a relatively low number 8-)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jon Corby wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:I was thinking that if both DEINSTALL and INSTALLED are in the conundrums list, then if someone said DEINSTALL instead of INSTALLED, then it would've accepted it, as DEINSTALL is in the conundrums list.
That's because you're not a programmer. Why double check that the answer given is a) an anagram of the conundrum given and b) in the conundrums list, when you already retrieved it in the first place to shuffle it?
To be fair though, I didn't actually say I was a programmer, It's just the way I thought it might've worked, because it might've known that both were anagrams and both allowed.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
To be fair though, I didn't actually say I was a programmer, It's just the way I thought it might've worked, because it might've known that both were anagrams and both allowed.
I didn't say you said you did.

Your way would be the method if multi-answer conundrums were allowed.
Last edited by Jon Corby on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Frank Rodolf wrote: No! Christmas decorations, trees, etc. should be taken down December 27th, so my b-day does not look like another Christmas... ;)
My birthday is 24th December, so in our house we have to suspend Christmas for a day. The girls don't seem to mind too much.
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Well done to everyone who got LINEARITY in yesterdays duel. I thought that was a tough conundrum.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

DebbiF wrote:My birthday is 24th December, so in our house we have to suspend Christmas for a day. The girls don't seem to mind too much.
Why does that mean you have to suspend Christmas?
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
DebbiF wrote:My birthday is 24th December, so in our house we have to suspend Christmas for a day. The girls don't seem to mind too much.
So that I can enjoy my birthday as my birthday, not as the day before Christmas.
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

...a conundrum in a pear tree?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
...a conundrum in a pear tree?
so TARREDPIG, then?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

DebbiF wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
So that I can enjoy my birthday as my birthday, not as the day before Christmas.
That's a bit weird. I could understand a bit more if it was on Christmas day itself (but it would still be weird) but to move Christmas so your birthday isn't the day before Christmas is plain barking! It would still be the day before the day before Christmas, so that must annoy you.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gavin Chipper wrote:That's a bit weird. I could understand a bit more if it was on Christmas day itself (but it would still be weird) but to move Christmas so your birthday isn't the day before Christmas is plain barking!
Who said they move Christmas? Suspending an event isn't the same as moving it.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I assume it was just coincidence, but I liked how all yesterday's conundrums had a computer sciency theme.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Paul Howe wrote:I assume it was just coincidence, but I liked how all yesterday's conundrums had a computer sciency theme.
Haha, I didn't even notice, but yes. Coincidence indeed.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Did anyone else struggle with today's duel (especially the number rounds)?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Did anyone else struggle with today's duel (especially the number rounds)?
Nope, I loved it. I got 50 on the numbers, and quite a decent score on the others.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:That's a bit weird. I could understand a bit more if it was on Christmas day itself (but it would still be weird) but to move Christmas so your birthday isn't the day before Christmas is plain barking!
Who said they move Christmas? Suspending an event isn't the same as moving it.
They suspend Christmas for a day. That sounds to me like they have it on the 26th, or "move" it to the 26th. What's your explanation?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Did anyone else struggle with today's duel (especially the number rounds)?
Nah. I maxed the numbers (7/7) - just bottled a conundrum and a letters round. Not sure if this gives too much away but hey.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Suspending an event isn't the same as moving it.
They suspend Christmas for a day. That sounds to me like they have it on the 26th, or "move" it to the 26th. What's your explanation?
It was clear from the context that Debbie was using "Christmas" in the broad sense of the festive season as a whole and the preparations involved, not just Christmas Day itself (or, for the real pedants, the 12-night period commencing on the evening of the 25th). Most people have thoughts of little but Christmas by December 24th. In Debbie's house, the festive preparations are suspended (as in: put aside; temporarily halted) on that day to allow her birthday to be properly celebrated.

I'm pretty sure you knew all that and were just trying to make a pedantic point about the fact that December 24th isn't Christmas.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I'm pretty sure you knew all that and were just trying to make a pedantic point about the fact that December 24th isn't Christmas.
I think it's more to do with Gevin's inexplicable need to have an opinion on absolutely everything, no matter how irrelevant or trivial.
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Wonder how long Charlie will be extending the Daily Duel - even if it stops after 12 days, it will already have 78 rounds.
Frank
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Frank Rodolf wrote:Wonder how long Charlie will be extending the Daily Duel - even if it stops after 12 days, it will already have 78 rounds.
No! Don't end it at 12, I'm totally looking forward to playing the 325-round spectacular on Christmas Day!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

jimbentley wrote:
Frank Rodolf wrote:Wonder how long Charlie will be extending the Daily Duel - even if it stops after 12 days, it will already have 78 rounds.
No! Don't end it at 12, I'm totally looking forward to playing the 325-round spectacular on Christmas Day!
But what about on New Years Eve? 496 magic rounds of Countdown. At 30 seconds a round, that's over 4 hours of Countdown magic. Make sure you start the duel before 8pm on New Years Eve else you may not get your result to count....
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
jimbentley wrote:
But what about on New Years Eve? 496 magic rounds of Countdown. At 30 seconds a round, that's over 4 hours of Countdown magic. Make sure you start the duel before 8pm on New Years Eve else you may not get your result to count....
I better start making oliebollen now - with duels like that I won't have time to do that after Christmas... ;)
Frank
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:I'm pretty sure you knew all that and were just trying to make a pedantic point about the fact that December 24th isn't Christmas.
I think it's more to do with Gevin's inexplicable need to have an opinion on absolutely everything, no matter how irrelevant or trivial.
No, I just didn't really get what she meant but thanks for the explanation.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Today's duel was so evil it makes Zef look like St. Frigging Francis of Frigging Assisi. That is all.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ben Wilson wrote:Today's duel was so evil it makes Zef look like St. Frigging Francis of Frigging Assisi. That is all.
I thought it would be worse than it was actually, although I didn't score that much either...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Ian Volante wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Today's duel was so evil it makes Zef look like St. Frigging Francis of Frigging Assisi. That is all.
I thought it would be worse than it was actually, although I didn't score that much either...
I scored a lot higher than I thought I would (had not expected anything over about 5), but I still think it was evil!
Frank
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Amazing Duel. I started OK but then had a spectacular run of eleven rounds without scoring a point, which was pretty brutal, but in the end scored more than I thought I would (although still not very much). My main problem with Blind is that if I don't see something straight away, I generally realise after about ten seconds that I've completely forgotten what letters appeared in the first place, which makes me not very good at it. Thank God for the numbers games!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Blind, 20 seconds per round, nooooo way am I attempting this one! :shock: :(
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Julie T wrote:Blind, 20 seconds per round, nooooo way am I attempting this one! :shock: :(
Aww... Come on... Most of the conundrums are doable and the numbers rounds are not blind...
Frank
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

It's getting a bit mental isn't it. 8 more numbers rounds tomorrow if the pattern holds, having done some calculations there'll be more numbers than letters rounds over the entire 12 days unless something changes, tipping the balance a touch too far IMNSHO.

And I've just realised I'm not going to be here for the 12th day, what a pisser :evil:
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

Glad I came here first today, I keep getting the slightly annoying squashed duel challenge but coming here allowed me to get some blind practice in beforehand!
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Interesting results from yesterday's Duel...really well done to Paul as the only one to get FAIRLEAD (round 23) and PROLIX (25), and to Frank as the sole spotter of the 836 in round 17. No-one scored anything in rounds 13 and 14, which must be some sort of first!
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

If it's any consolation Jim I buggered today's up royally.

I suppose Charlie's at the CofC, but was just wondering what happens if it's impossible to get within 10 on the numbers in a max only game. Would you always get a point? I'm sure Gevin's had several sleepless nights tormenting himself with this.
Last edited by Paul Howe on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I think it's a set zero.

Interesting that only a handful of people got yesterday's numbers when it was one away - did people just give up?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Ian Volante wrote:I think it's a set zero.

Interesting that only a handful of people got yesterday's numbers when it was one away - did people just give up?
I think in a max only game the temptation is to aim at the target and not consider anything else, especially when you only have 20 secs. That's what I did anyway.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Has today's duel crashed on anyone else so far?

I got up to round 22, before the 'play next round' button stopped working (as in I have pressed it but nothings come up).
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Has today's duel crashed on anyone else so far?

I got up to round 22, before the 'play next round' button stopped working (as in I have pressed it but nothings come up).
Maybe The Duelist has popped for a fag break.
Last edited by Ben Hunter on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ben Hunter wrote:

Maybe The Duellist has popped for a fag break.
I hope not :lol:, it's been at least 30 minutes since it stopped working.
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:

Maybe The Duellist has popped for a fag break.
I hope not :lol:, it's been at least 30 minutes since it stopped working.
It worked for me... Every sane part of my mind (no need for comments :P) wished it would break down though. ;)
Frank