So, who will be the founding member of Countdown's "1000 CLUB"?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Re: So, who will be the founding member of Countdown's "1000 CLUB"?

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Given that today was game #8 of a notable Octorun, anyone who:-
1. Does not know by now
2. Would read this forum (or go on social media etc.) before watching todays show

is not a big enough fan, and hence does not deserve to be protected from spoilers.

Might be time to revisit the CD community's "spoilerz" etiquette.
It is not 2008 anymore.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:33 pm

Might be time to revisit the CD community's "spoilerz" etiquette.
For the uninitiated, what is the spoilers etiquette?

But yep agree - if you haven't seen the show and you don't want to know how the champ has done at the end of his octorun, don't read c4c, and specifically avoid threads that you think might be spoilerific
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

Fiona T wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:00 pm For the uninitiated, what is the spoilers etiquette?
Well, my guess would be that it's to post spoilers in the section of the forum specifically dedicated to spoilers, and not in the section of the forum whose description says it's for content which is not "spoilerific".
Fiona T wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:00 pm specifically avoid threads that you think might be spoilerific
You could excuse someone who, given the above, would not expect to find a spoiler in this section of the forum.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Sam Cappleman-Lynes wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:28 pm
Fiona T wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:00 pm For the uninitiated, what is the spoilers etiquette?
Well, my guess would be that it's to post spoilers in the section of the forum specifically dedicated to spoilers, and not in the section of the forum whose description says it's for content which is not "spoilerific".
was a serious question - how long is a spoiler a spoiler? I've seen people on the facebook group complaining days after the episode was aired. Can we never discuss members of the 1000 club (or failure of people to make the mark - no spoilers!) for fear of someone no having seen the episode?
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:33 pm Given that today was game #8 of a notable Octorun, anyone who:-
1. Does not know by now
2. Would read this forum (or go on social media etc.) before watching todays show
is not a big enough fan, and hence does not deserve to be protected from spoilers.
That would be me, then.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

I dunno what it is Fiona, tbh. I have never fully respected it, given the normal etiquette, since the advent of social media, has been that once a live event has aired (or even while it's airing), it immediately becomes fair game for online "spoilers". (I believe Adam Dexter knows what the guidelines are... I'm not sure who else.)

My understanding is that there is a "no spoilers" amnesty period until some point later on the same evening that the show aired? (But it might be slightly longer.) How long after the show does the Apto chat start to discuss it openly? That would give some indication...
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

I've never really got the taboo on spoilers in this community. If you're waiting to watch Countdown and don't want to know what happened, maybe don't go to read a Countdown forum in the interim?
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

On the spoilers thing - I come here all the time when I haven't watched an episode because a lot more than just Countdown gets discussed on here and sometimes it might be quite a while before I can catch up. And it would be ridiculous to e.g. post about the current day's game in a thread on veganism.

It was also a bit pointless editing rather than deleting Ryan's post. The fact that this thread got bumped at all was arguably a big spoiler, not the content of the post. But I suppose that's a bit of a grey area because someone might easily have posted in this thread to say that someone had got 1000 or just missed out of course. But as someone who has only just seen yesterday's programme, I of course visited the forum in the meantime but also engaged some common sense and avoided this thread. While it's not explicitly a spoilers thread, it's definitely one to think about when reading posts.

As for how long a spoiler is a spoiler - another grey area and I don't think there's a definitive answer. But possibly weeks? Certainly at least one week. And maybe anything in the current series. Although if a series follows straight on from another I don't think a new series on a Monday immediately despoilerises the final from just three days previously.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Adam Gillard wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:53 pm BBC News homepage now too.
Good going Tom! And great that Countdown is getting some publicity - hopefully will attract a few more viewers :)