Championship of Champions - The real draw

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Championship of Champions - The real draw

Post by Charlie Reams »

The CoC draw has had a few changes so I thought I'd start a new topic. The confirmed lineup is:

David O'Donnell vs James Hurrell
Junaid Mubeen vs Tony Warren
Richard Brittain vs Jon Corby
Richard Priest vs Kai Laddiman
Nick Wainwright vs Steve Baines
Anita Freeland vs Jonathan Coles
Charlie Reams vs Peter Davies
Steven Briers vs Debbi Flack

At least 12 of the 16 players are members of this forum! Filming is 7 - 9 December (Sunday to Tuesday.) The updated game table is on the wiki, if you prefer to digest things in that format.
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Re: Championship of Champions - The real draw

Post by James Hurrell »

Not re-drawn then... oh well. Congratulations Debbi btw.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Looking forward to meeting up with some familiar faces, and meeting some new ones.

(Oh yes, and getting my a**e royally kicked, but it'll be a great time anyway) :)
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

DebbiF wrote:getting my a**e royally kicked
Don't worry, you won't be the only one ;)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

James Hurrell wrote:Not re-drawn then... oh well. Congratulations Debbi btw.
Looks like we have no choice, James :( .
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

James Hurrell wrote: Congratulations Debbi btw.

...and Peter Davies, he is a very nice chap.
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

David O'Donnell wrote:
James Hurrell wrote:Not re-drawn then... oh well. Congratulations Debbi btw.
Looks like we have no choice, James :( .
I haven't found anyone willing to swap either :cry:

How about some warm up games on Apterous???
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

I am blocked from using apterous because of a firewall but would have loved to practise a little before our encounter. Looks like one of us has an early departure - I hope I can do this with good grace but I suspect a hissy fit could be on the cards.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

A little bit surprised at some of the players included and some of the ones left out. But I think I should wait until the end of the Series to bring that up; not that I know what happens but I don't see how Charlie, Kai (etc) can answer without providing a spoiler.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Martin Gardner wrote:A little bit surprised at some of the players included and some of the ones left out. But I think I should wait until the end of the Series to bring that up; not that I know what happens but I don't see how Charlie, Kai (etc) can answer without providing a spoiler.
Don't know who you're thinking of in particular, Martin, but the invitees (at least originally) were chosen before the series was completed, and I believe any inclusions and exclusions are more down to who couldn't make the dates (which have changed a few times now) or who didn't wish to take part, rather than anything else (with the possible exception of Mr Hansford). I think that sentence avoids any spoilers, but I'm sure Gev will spot one somewhere!
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Charlie Reams wrote:Filming is 7 - 9 December (Sunday to Tuesday.)
Meant to ask this earlier. Will this be the first ever recording session to take place on a Sunday? Or for that matter, a weekend? Is nothing sacred any more? :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Mike Brown wrote:
Meant to ask this earlier. Will this be the first ever recording session to take place on a Sunday? Or for that matter, a weekend? Is nothing sacred any more? :)
The trains between Lincoln and Leeds bloody well are. :( Though ironically Sunday is the only day there's a direct service between the two cities!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Mike Brown wrote:
Yes, Mike. I am due to play James on Sunday at 12:30.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Martin Gardner wrote:A little bit surprised at some of the players included and some of the ones left out. But I think I should wait until the end of the Series to bring that up; not that I know what happens but I don't see how Charlie, Kai (etc) can answer without providing a spoiler.
Sort of hard to talk about this when almost all of the people involved are members of the forum, I suppose I'm surprised at Debbi Flack and Peter Davies being included as they weren't Octochamps and Peter got knocked out at the semi-final stage. As for Debbi, Martin Bishop seems a more obvious choice; it's not often you get an Octochamps averaging 100 points a game that doesn't make the CofC! This perhaps relates to the fact that Martin gets knocked out in the first round and Debbi makes it all the way to the final (this is guessing I have no knowledge of it)l; I'm certainly not having a go at Debbi, I'm just saying that she's won fewer games and has a lower average score, which is statistically true. You wouldn't leave out Paul Gallen to include Rita Willmott.

As pointed out, quite a lot of people have declined invitations, almost of all of them are Octochamps so that might explain the presence of non-Octochamps, but I feel a bit disappointed for Martin Bishop who's averaging something like 101 points per game.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Martin Gardner wrote: As for Debbi, Martin Bishop seems a more obvious choice
He said he was asked, but I think he pulled out for some reason.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mike Brown wrote:
Don't know who you're thinking of in particular, Martin, but the invitees (at least originally) were chosen before the series was completed, and I believe any inclusions and exclusions are more down to who couldn't make the dates (which have changed a few times now) or who didn't wish to take part, rather than anything else (with the possible exception of Mr Hansford). I think that sentence avoids any spoilers, but I'm sure Gev will spot one somewhere!
I think there have been some suspicions that maybe one or two have been selected over others simply for being female.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote: As for Debbi, Martin Bishop seems a more obvious choice
He said he was asked, but I think he pulled out for some reason.
Yeah, I had to go into the first day of a new job and ask for half a week off. That didn't work out so well.

Hopefully, I'll have another chance to come back sometime.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

I know I'm probably only there because others couldn't make it (and yes, maybe because I'm female), but nevertheless I'm just going to go and enjoy myself and do my best.
:)
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

I think Anita Freeland and Jean Webby both deserved their places, after all Anita was a runner-up and Jean won 9 games before losing in the semi which is as good a record as a lot of the other original invitees. In Debbi's case without knowing how she fared in the finals it's hard to make a judgment. Plus with the number of withdrawals the options as to who to invite were probably getting a bit limited.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Rich Priest wrote:I think Anita Freeland and Jean Webby both deserved their places, after all Anita was a runner-up and Jean won 9 games before losing in the semi which is as good a record as a lot of the other original invitees. In Debbi's case without knowing how she fared in the finals it's hard to make a judgment. Plus with the number of withdrawals the options as to who to invite were probably getting a bit limited.
Yeah in fairness Martin's explanation is a good one.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

DebbiF wrote:I know I'm probably only there because others couldn't make it (and yes, maybe because I'm female), but nevertheless I'm just going to go and enjoy myself and do my best.
You only live once, enjoy it!
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mike Brown wrote:
I think there have been some suspicions that maybe one or two have been selected over others simply for being female.

I think there have been some suspicions that you are a wonderful human being.
Last edited by Damian E on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Sort of hard to talk about this when almost all of the people involved are members of the forum, I suppose I'm surprised at Debbi Flack and Peter Davies being included as they weren't Octochamps and Peter got knocked out at the semi-final stage. As for Debbi, Martin Bishop seems a more obvious choice; it's not often you get an Octochamps averaging 100 points a game that doesn't make the CofC! This perhaps relates to the fact that Martin gets knocked out in the first round and Debbi makes it all the way to the final (this is guessing I have no knowledge of it)l; I'm certainly not having a go at Debbi, I'm just saying that she's won fewer games and has a lower average score, which is statistically true. You wouldn't leave out Paul Gallen to include Rita Willmott.

As pointed out, quite a lot of people have declined invitations, almost of all of them are Octochamps so that might explain the presence of non-Octochamps, but I feel a bit disappointed for Martin Bishop who's averaging something like 101 points per game.
Bye.
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

Charlie Reams wrote:The CoC draw has had a few changes so I thought I'd start a new topic. The confirmed lineup is:

At least 12 of the 16 players are members of this forum! Filming is 7 - 9 December (Sunday to Tuesday.) The updated game table is on the wiki, if you prefer to digest things in that format.
Anyone else likely to be travelling up on the Saturday? If so, see you in the bar Saturday night.
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Yes, Tony. Don't think I could face an early start, coupled with a lengthy trip, as good preparation for facing James Hurrell. I tell you what I'll promise not to do any Irish dancing if you promise not to do any Morris dancing :) .
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

tonywarren wrote:Anyone else likely to be travelling up on the Saturday? If so, see you in the bar Saturday night.
Yup. I won't be getting drunk until I'm knocked out of the competition though...
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Interesting to see the revised selection of players. Well done Debbi for making the list! And bad luck Martin - hope the first week at your new job goes well. Tough draw, though, Debbi. At least with the order of the games, you'll be certain of making the final nine. :)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Jon Corby wrote:
tonywarren wrote:Anyone else likely to be travelling up on the Saturday? If so, see you in the bar Saturday night.
Yup. I won't be getting drunk until I'm knocked out of the competition though...
You'll have one to pass yourself :twisted: .
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

tonywarren wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:The CoC draw has had a few changes so I thought I'd start a new topic. The confirmed lineup is:

Anyone else likely to be travelling up on the Saturday? If so, see you in the bar Saturday night.
I am likely to be around at some point on Saturday evening. I am looking at going to watch my beloved Plymouth Argyle away at Doncaster in the afternoon on the way up. Seemed like too good an opportunity to miss.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Will be there to watch all the Monday games so if you see me please say hi. Look forward to some exciting stuff, especially the new hosts and the first 2 semi finals :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

James Hurrell wrote:I am looking at going to watch my beloved Plymouth Argyle away at Doncaster in the afternoon on the way up.
Good luck for tomorrow night btw ;)
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

David O'Donnell wrote:Yes, Tony. Don't think I could face an early start, coupled with a lengthy trip, as good preparation for facing James Hurrell. I tell you what I'll promise not to do any Irish dancing if you promise not to do any Morris dancing :) .
Okay. I'll leave the mandolin at home. Might bring the guitar though...
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

tonywarren wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:Yes, Tony. Don't think I could face an early start, coupled with a lengthy trip, as good preparation for facing James Hurrell. I tell you what I'll promise not to do any Irish dancing if you promise not to do any Morris dancing :) .
I hope you're not kidding since I also play a little and that sounds like fun.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I will be in the audience on the Sunday afternoon session, so will probably see the first 3 games. Please do come and say hi if I haven't said hi already. I look forward to meeting some of you.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:

I will be in the audience on the Sunday afternoon session, so will probably see the first 3 games. Please do come and say hi if I haven't said hi already. I look forward to meeting some of you.
And I'll be the short bald one probably sat next to Kirk so same applies here. :)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Nothing wrong with being short and bald!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

David O'Donnell wrote:Nothing wrong with being short and bald!
D'oh, knew I'd forgotten something- I'll be the short bald one with glasses. ;)
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

David O'Donnell wrote:
tonywarren wrote:
I hope you're not kidding since I also play a little and that sounds like fun.
If your up for a bit of a play I'll definitely bring it!
Maybe we'll be able to put a Countdown band together? :P
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

tonywarren wrote:Maybe we'll be able to put a Countdown band together? :P
Which bar does everyone else want to meet in?
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

Jon Corby wrote:
Which bar does everyone else want to meet in?
Just like Jehovah's witnesses and Mormons, we'll find you wherever you are!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Jon Corby wrote:
Can you really go sober for that long? :D
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Can I bring my double bass? ;)
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Can I bring my double bass? ;)
When I was thirteen I used to take a double bass into London on the tube. If you've got it - go for it! :lol:
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

DebbiF wrote:I know I'm probably only there because others couldn't make it (and yes, maybe because I'm female), but nevertheless I'm just going to go and enjoy myself and do my best.

Good for you Debbi - that's the kind of attitude we want on the show. x
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Before you all disappear off to Leeds for the COC, I want to wish all of you well. Enjoy the new presenters, enjoy the new set, and most of all, enjoy your games. I know that most of you can't get the results that you would really like, but I hope that you all play to the best of your abilities at all times.

I look forward to viewing the outcome in January, and possibly to hearing a little about Jeff, Rachel and the new set before then.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Howard Somerset wrote:Before you all disappear off to Leeds for the COC, I want to wish all of you well. Enjoy the new presenters, enjoy the new set, and most of all, enjoy your games. I know that most of you can't get the results that you would really like, but I hope that you all play to the best of your abilities at all times.

I look forward to viewing the outcome in January, and possibly to hearing a little about Jeff, Rachel and the new set before then.
Thanks Howard, just the right type of message to read when the nerves are starting to play up.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Howard Somerset wrote:Before you all disappear off to Leeds for the COC, I want to wish all of you well. Enjoy the new presenters, enjoy the new set, and most of all, enjoy your games. I know that most of you can't get the results that you would really like, but I hope that you all play to the best of your abilities at all times.

Appreciated :D
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

I third the thanks - but are thirding and thirded allowed.
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

Just to wish all the forumites the best of luck in the CoC :)

Really looking forward to seeing it all unfold.
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Many thanks. Really quite exctied now!!!!! 3 hours to go...
Lara Searle
Rookie

Post by Lara Searle »

Good luck to everyone!
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Hope everyone (contestants, presenters etc.) gives a good account of themselves.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I must say I had a fabulous day today. Thanks to everyone who always make trips to the studios great fun. It was good to meet some new faces who I've apterousised with recently and it was good to see the old faces again. It was also nice to bump into Kate Horton. I'm so excited about the new year and the prospect the future holds re: Countdown.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I must say I had a fabulous day today. Thanks to everyone who always make trips to the studios great fun. It was good to meet some new faces who I've apterousised with recently and it was good to see the old faces again. It was also nice to bump into Kate Horton. I'm so excited about the new year and the prospect the future holds re: Countdown.
Seconded. :D
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Thirded.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Absolutely brilliant. Well done to all involved. Cant wait to see the conclusion on TV.
Harry Whitehouse
Rookie

Post by Harry Whitehouse »

And I made it on Monday. What an brilliant run of games at the end of the afternoon.

Interesting that the new set isolates the competitors so much from Jeff/DC that they have to pass "same here" slips to each other for checking.
My home is on the south side,
High up on a ridge,
Just a half a mile from
The Scarborough Valley bridge.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

harry wrote:And I made it on Monday. What an brilliant run of games at the end of the afternoon.

Interesting that the new set isolates the competitors so much from Jeff/DC that they have to pass "same here" slips to each other for checking.
It's quite good actually because under the old format DC/Des would spend quite a while trying to decipher numbers solutions and even Susie had to be drafted in to check. From what I witnessed, the contestants checked each other's answers doubly quick.
Harry Whitehouse
Rookie

Post by Harry Whitehouse »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
harry wrote:And I made it on Monday. What an brilliant run of games at the end of the afternoon.

It's quite good actually because under the old format DC/Des would spend quite a while trying to decipher numbers solutions and even Susie had to be drafted in to check. From what I witnessed, the contestants checked each other's answers doubly quick.
...and with some welcome flashes of humour.
My home is on the south side,
High up on a ridge,
Just a half a mile from
The Scarborough Valley bridge.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Kirk Bevins wrote:

Doing it that way would have been so much fun with Jeffrey...