Spoilers For Monday August 4th 2014

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday August 4th 2014

Post by James Robinson »

So, a lot seems to have happened in the last 7 days, since our last viewing of Countdown..............

We have a Champion of Champions tournament to look forward to at the start of next year, COHUD2014 has been announced, and there's no horse racing to annoy us from our viewing of our favourite show :D .............. well, not for 2 more weeks anyway :(

Ah well, let's get onto the better news for now anyway. 8-)

She might be controversial in some people's eyes, but Tricia Pay has proven to be a formidable opponent, and despite surviving 2 close calls in crucial conundrums, she has her half-octochampdom to her name (and is currently #1 seed to boot, at the moment), and will be hoping to be the first octochamp of the series on Thursday. 8-)

Bill Turnbull is in DC up until Thursday, before ex-Blue Peter presenter, Gethin Jones, comes in on Friday. (Incidentally, his new ITV game show, The 21st Question is starting today in The Chase slot, presumably trying to be better than last year's summer filler, Take On The Twisters.)

Andy will be around with the recap later. ;) :) :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers For Monday August 4th 2014

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Another easy numbers...
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Pretty sure Tick said TILTED in Round 5 instead of JILTED, unless I'm going crazy
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

James Laverty wrote:Pretty sure Tick said TILTED in Round 5 instead of JILTED, unless I'm going crazy
Think his accent makes it ambiguous, but it sounded close enough to JILTED to me that I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

4th numbers: ((75 + 8) x 7) + 1
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

James Laverty wrote:Pretty sure Tick said TILTED in Round 5 instead of JILTED, unless I'm going crazy
Kiattisik Thepsuria is well known in Thailand for his Scrabble abilities. Played the odd tournament over here. Jessica knows him well on the Internet circuit - met him once at New Malden. Thai people have a very bad concept of the English Language, although very capable Scrabble players, their accent is very difficult to understand. Jessica found this out when she played in the WYSC in the Far East and spoke to many of the young players.

Must admit I heard TILTED too :-)

Mauro
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

In previous games I've been defending Tricia against various accusations, but I turned to this thread thinking I couldn't defend her this time. And there's nothing!

The EMOTES round. C2. "Six". C1. Agonisingly long pause. "Five".

Incidentally, I heard JILTED.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Williams wrote:In previous games I've been defending Tricia against various accusations, but I turned to this thread thinking I couldn't defend her this time. And there's nothing!

She might have had a risky 6 or 7 that she was agonising over. She wouldn't have been able to get away with cheating here without it looking really obvious. It would have been - Long pause, "Six. Er, not written down." That would have looked pretty bad.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
David Williams wrote:In previous games I've been defending Tricia against various accusations, but I turned to this thread thinking I couldn't defend her this time. And there's nothing!

She might have had a risky 6 or 7 that she was agonising over.
It's possible. I know it's dangerous to read too much into body language and the like, but it didn't come over to me as "I'l stick with a safe five because my six/seven that I thought of and rejected during the thirty seconds is so risky I think my best bet is to assume that your word is invalid". It was a lot more like "Even now you've declared a six I still can't see one."
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Gavin Chipper wrote:She might have had a risky 6 or 7 that she was agonising over. She wouldn't have been able to get away with cheating here without it looking really obvious. It would have been - Long pause, "Six. Er, not written down." That would have looked pretty bad.
This reminds me of the "slow pass" in bridge. Etiquette demands that if you think for a conspicuously long time over an opening bid, you can't then pass. If your partner does this, you mustn't take advantage.

Back to Countdown, what should you do if you realise you've hesitated far too long over a declaration? Make a declaration that make it clear you haven't taken advantage, perhaps.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Clive Brooker wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:She might have had a risky 6 or 7 that she was agonising over. She wouldn't have been able to get away with cheating here without it looking really obvious. It would have been - Long pause, "Six. Er, not written down." That would have looked pretty bad.
This reminds me of the "slow pass" in bridge. Etiquette demands that if you think for a conspicuously long time over an opening bid, you can't then pass. If your partner does this, you mustn't take advantage.

Back to Countdown, what should you do if you realise you've hesitated far too long over a declaration? Make a declaration that make it clear you haven't taken advantage, perhaps.
Well, I suppose if you take too long, you just have to declare something that you have written down.