What do the contestants actually do during the adverts?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

What do the contestants actually do during the adverts?

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I was just wondering what actually happens in the intervals. I hope I'm not being stupid, but I was just wondering whether the contestants have a little chat with Des, Carol, Susie, etc. or just sort of sit there....? :P
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: What do the contestants actually do during the adverts?

Post by Jon O'Neill »

The breaks are a lot shorter in reality, about one minute, and usually the make-up people come to do some touching up. Apart from that, general chit-chat to eachother or a presenter if they're interested. There's not a lot of thumb-twiddling that I experienced or have seen.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

There's much more hanging around immediately before the programme. The adverts fly by; you have just enough time for a non-smug sip of water and a quick chat to the guest before it's back to business.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Having my bald pate touched up and getting slagged off by the guy who brings the water for getting through about 4 litres a show.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Talking is a lot of fun, though!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Got blanked by Martin Jarvis and had a natter with Barry Cryer and Susie, depending on the week.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Linda Smith (now deceased) was really nice, we used to have a good chat in the ad breaks. I wasn't so taken by Ken Bruce and for Clare Balding and Geoffrey Durham, I only had one show with them. Odd to think of the few people on screen in my first three shows, two of them are dead...
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?