People you shouldn't trust

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Fiona T
Kiloposter

Re: People you shouldn't trust

Post by Fiona T »

Callum Todd wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:26 pm
Fiona T wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:56 pm Surely you're used to pacing yourself in km so that makes sense.

My watch is in km, my Edge (used for longer cycles) is in miles. But Strava shows everything in km anyway.
You can change your Strava settings to show in miles if you prefer. Personally I always use km unless I'm doing a race that fits really neatly into miles (e.g. if I was trying to do a 10 mile race in 90 minutes I would set my watch to miles and try do 9:00 pace)
Ah can you do it per activity? Will investigate!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:47 pm
Matt Morrison wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:53 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:07 am People who say "is is" when it doesn't make sense (which is most of the time).
Do a sentence please.
I don't think I ever got back to you on this. Something like "The reason we are doing this is is". I think Jess Phillips does this a lot.
Am I being stupid for not following at all? Are we talking about a stutter rather than a deliberate choice to say "is is" because it doesn't make any sense to me. (I mean the whole "it doesn't make sense" doesn't make sense to me as I can't understand what is going on!)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:58 am
Matt Morrison wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:53 pm
Do a sentence please.
I don't think I ever got back to you on this. Something like "The reason we are doing this is is". I think Jess Phillips does this a lot.
Am I being stupid for not following at all? Are we talking about a stutter rather than a deliberate choice to say "is is" because it doesn't make any sense to me. (I mean the whole "it doesn't make sense" doesn't make sense to me as I can't understand what is going on!)
We aren't talking about a stutter. We're talking about people extending the classic "What it is is" to other sentences where it doesn't make sense. I'll listen out for specific examples and get back to you. It's a little bit like when people say "The reason being is...".
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

There is a sentence with 5 successive 'and's that makes sense
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:26 am
Matt Morrison wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:58 am
We aren't talking about a stutter. We're talking about people extending the classic "What it is is" to other sentences where it doesn't make sense. I'll listen out for specific examples and get back to you. It's a little bit like when people say "The reason being is...".
Aha! Ok, I follow with the "what it is is" but I still can't get my head round "the reason we are doing this is is". But that's fine. Thanks.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Had, had gets used a lot too
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

People with wind chimes in their garden. We live in a society, you sociopaths.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:32 pm People who don't sneeze properly - they do this weird suppression thing.
I was right. It's bad for you.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

People who know every post that has ever been made on C4C.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gevin.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

People who give the middle finger wrong. The correct way is to have a closed fist and then raise the middle finger. The wrong way is only curling the knuckles of the other fingers and you thumb sticking out.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:48 am People who give the middle finger wrong. The correct way is to have a closed fist and then raise the middle finger. The wrong way is only curling the knuckles of the other fingers and you thumb sticking out.
I've literally never thought about this. I think I have my thumb on the outside actually now trying it out. I think it's slightly more uncomfortable with your thumb locked inside. Maybe slightly more strain on the tendon on the inside of your wrist or something.

Overruled.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I think you are misunderstanding. I don't mean locking your thumb inside your fist. I mean having your thumb literally pointing outwards. Hopefully the link below works to show what I mean.

https://images.app.goo.gl/9zEwSDsvmkHyL6Nf6
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

OK, yeah. I accept that.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

People who put the squash/Ribena/whatever in AFTER the water. what in god's name are you thinking
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark Deeks wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:38 am People who put the squash/Ribena/whatever in AFTER the water. what in god's name are you thinking
As long as you stir it afterwards.
I used Tom makke ribena milkshakes that way too.
Before I got a fancy coffee machine I used to make instant coffee by adding it to the boiled water mainly because the optimum temperature for coffee is around 92 C and pouring boiling water on coffee burns it slightly
But i always add boiling water to a teabag
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Mark Deeks wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:38 am People who put the squash/Ribena/whatever in AFTER the water. what in god's name are you thinking
When at leisure, I put the squash in first and then the water, like a normal person. However, when there's a queue behind me at the office for the taps, I go mixologist style with the water and the squash being poured simultaneously so as to save a few seconds. It's pretty mad, I know!
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

You're playing with fire, Adam. Don't get cocky.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

People who deconstruct a joke to it's base level 😊
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

People who use the term Netizens when referring to the online community on their socials.
Actually people who use the term socials.
Confirming what I always suspected I don't trust myself 😊
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Anyone who writes/participates in the articles that have the caption "I bought my own house at 22 whilst working at Asda. Here's how you can do the same!"

Two lines in: "Michael got a gift of £100,000 from his parents to help towards getting his house, but it was definitely the working part-time in a minimum wage summer job that enabled him to make this financial commitment"
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:18 am Anyone who writes/participates in the articles that have the caption "I bought my own house at 22 whilst working at Asda. Here's how you can do the same!"

Two lines in: "Michael got a gift of £100,000 from his parents to help towards getting his house, but it was definitely the working part-time in a minimum wage summer job that enabled him to make this financial commitment"
If Michael's parents give me 100 grand I could do the same too 😊