Spoilers for Thursday November 21st 2013 (S69 P97)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday November 21st 2013 (S69 P97)

Post by Jordan F »

We've been in a state lately of having lots of short runs and a lot of new champions coming in. It's happened again today with a new champ, June Madell. Can she get a second win?

Join James for the recap later.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Thursday November 21st 2013 (S69 P97)

Post by Andy Platt »

Advisor in round 13
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Susie disallowed the Apterous-valid INDORSE. Can someone with the relevant dictionary clarify who's correct? Not that I don't trust her!

Edit - the online dictionary says US and Law, which would make it fine. But that might not be the same.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Susie disallowed the Apterous-valid INDORSE. Can someone with the relevant dictionary clarify who's correct? Not that I don't trust her!

Edit - the online dictionary says US and Law, which would make it fine. But that might not be the same.
If you look up INDORSE as Susie did it just says US - you have to look under ENDORSE to see the Law reference.
As it was not offered by a player then there was no chance for Damian to argue with her about it.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Susie disallowed the Apterous-valid INDORSE. Can someone with the relevant dictionary clarify who's correct? Not that I don't trust her!

From memory (and ODE2 at that), when you look up INDORSE it is listed as a US spelling. However, under the entry for ENDORSE it says something like "US and Law also INDORSE". Which points to poor editing on behalf of Oxford. Indeed, if INDOORS - listed as a noun - is on the same page it's a strong candidate for "worst page in the dictionary".
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Andy Platt wrote:Advisor in round 13
Well done, but actually an obscure but tasty 8 in that round (which I didn't get).

PISTONS is the alt to PASSION that my oponent got in my second show, but as in that show
beaters are available with two 8s here (my show had W not H and gave SWAPTIONS).
Also lots of easier alts to EDITRIX in R1 eg DUSTIER, and NANOBE in the BANJO/BEANO round.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Tony Atkins wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:Advisor in round 13
Well done, but actually an obscure but tasty 8 in that round (which I didn't get).
That's interesting, as the writer gives ADVISOR as the darren in that round. :P

ASTONISH (as a beater) in round 4, GOUTIER/OUTRIDE in round 8.

4th Numbers Alt.: (9 x 7 x 5 x 3) + 2 = 947
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

The INDORSE thing is another reason why the switch to the online edition needs to happen. Anyone looking up INDORSE in the print edition would come away thinking it was exclusively a US spelling and so inadmissible on Countdown. You have to look at the entry for ENDORSE to find out that can also be spelt INDORSE in law. The same goes for SULFUR and related words - if you had to look up DISULFIDE, you wouldn't know it was acceptable in UK English unless you went to the other end of the dictionary and saw the usage note under SULFUR/SULPHUR. The ODO website sorts all this out: DISULFIDE takes you to the entry for DISULPHIDE where the -F- spelling appears without the "US" tag, and INDORSE takes you to ENDORSE and tells you that INDORSE is valid.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Not disagreeing with you, but ODO getting this right isn't a plus in its corner as much as a minus in the ODE's... it's just a really shit bit of dictionary compiling on behalf of the ODE. I'd be surprised if there weren't errors of this magnitude in the ODO.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Not disagreeing with you, but ODO getting this right isn't a plus in its corner as much as a minus in the ODE's... it's just a really shit bit of dictionary compiling on behalf of the ODE. I'd be surprised if there weren't errors of this magnitude in the ODO.
It's all relative so anything that goes against one alternative favours the other. There's likely to be errors in ODO but they're going to be of a different sort. This type of error will hopefully be eliminated. Plus also if it's updated every three months, it's probably going to generally remain in better condition than something that's basically replaced every five years or so.