Appendicitis/'Grumbling' Appendix

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

James S Roper
Acolyte

Appendicitis/'Grumbling' Appendix

Post by James S Roper »

I know that I should theoretically be ok, but right now I'm suffering from slow symptoms of a 'grumbling' appendix, which is a milder form of appendicitis, where the appendix becomes slightly inflamed but eventually clears itself up, but pretty much shares the same symptoms.

For anyone that's ever had either of the two, can I ask what kind of symptoms you had/how it felt for you? There's generally quite an annoying pain moving around my torso and midriff which is being a pain in the neck (but no neck pains, if you get what I mean). I'm quite in the dark about it all so I'm wondering how long it generally lasts. Info would be nice if anyone else has ever had a similar thing.

And hopefully this doesn't become full-blown appendicitis.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Re: Appendicitis/'Grumbling' Appendix

Post by JimBentley »

James S Roper wrote:I know that I should theoretically be ok, but right now I'm suffering from slow symptoms of a 'grumbling' appendix, which is a milder form of appendicitis, where the appendix becomes slightly inflamed but eventually clears itself up, but pretty much shares the same symptoms.

For anyone that's ever had either of the two, can I ask what kind of symptoms you had/how it felt for you? There's generally quite an annoying pain moving around my torso and midriff which is being a pain in the neck (but no neck pains, if you get what I mean). I'm quite in the dark about it all so I'm wondering how long it generally lasts. Info would be nice if anyone else has ever had a similar thing.

And hopefully this doesn't become full-blown appendicitis.
James, if you're genuinely worried about it, see your doctor.

If what you have is a "grumbling" appendix, that's just another name for chronic appendicitis and it's not necessarily just going to away by itself (although it might). I'm not very up to date with this but I think antibiotic treatment is generally what's recommended as that can in some cases stop it progressing to acute appendicitis. If it was acute you'd know as it would be an absolutely excruciating pain and you should probably be in hospital, but I'm sure you know that already.

I've not had it myself but my dad used to get attacks of what were in retrospect chronic appendicitis in his thirties, finally had an acute attack and had to have an appendectomy when he was 36 or 37. It's the only time I can remember him being off work for any amount of time, so it must have been a bit of a knockout.

So yeah, if it gets worse or continues for more than another couple of days then I'd see your doctor.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'd just like to express that whilst including C4C people in this, it worries me to think for a moment that this forum would be used as a primary port of call for medical problems.
If you can't find it on Google, this post would be much better served on a proper medical forum.

Get better soon!
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

*puts on surgical mask and approaches with chainsaw and fork*
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...