Wednesday 23rd October 2013 (Series 69, Prelim 76)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Wednesday 23rd October 2013 (Series 69, Prelim 76)

Post by James Robinson »

Another double bill of Robinson Recaps for you this week, and unfortunately (assuming he wins today, they'll be my only 2 with Bradley Cates in the champions' chair. :( :cry: )

Oh well, let's try and brighten up instead. Enjoy. ;) :) :D

Countdown recap for Wednesday 23 October 2013.

C1: Champion Bradley Cates (3 wins, 334 points.) A student from Southport, Merseyside. Nick mentions that it's his 4th game today, but he had played 4 games previously in Series 56, when he was just 11 years old. 8-)
C2: Challenger Kevin Bromboszcz. From Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire. He is the chairman of the Corporation of Bedford College of Further Education. He like medieval art and architecture.
DC: Susie Dent and Dr. Phil Hammond, who is wearing a T-shirt saying "Born in the NHS". 8-)
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: R I D U N O S K E
R02: R Q N A I E T O G
R03: 100, 1, 10, 8, 6, 5. Target: 838.
TTT: CRESTDIP - "Word for word, it was all pre-planned"
R04: S X N R E U O H A
R05: S E V I L O G D A
R06: 100, 2, 3, 4, 8, 7. Target: 150.
R07: R E C I W E L S F
R08: T P T P O A U R A
R09: 75, 5, 5, 4, 10, 10. Target: 874.
TTT: CURESONG - "If you're in dire straits, you can do this to get your money for nothing"
R10: H T P R O E I H E
R11: D A M O C E D P M
R12: S F G R I O E N U
R13: D O S I G E T S A
R14: 100, 75, 50, 2, 8, 2. Target: 114.
R15: C H E S T S K I N (conundrum)

And now a brief interlude before our main feature:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Enjoy the show.

Round 1: R I D U N O S K E

C1: RESOUND (7)
C2: DUNKERS (7)
DC: DOESKIN (7)
OT: DUIKERS (7) DUSKIER (7) ENDUROS (7) INDORSE (7) INSURED (7) KINDERS (7) REDSKIN (7) ROSINED (7) SKINDER (7) SOUNDER (7)
Score: 7–7 (max 7)

A very flat start to this game. I wonder if Bradley's risky 8 might've been unrisked, in which it was definitely well unrisked. :P

An ENDURO is an endurance race for automobiles or sometimes motorcycles.
ROSINED is a verb relating to ROSIN, the yellowish to amber, translucent, hard, brittle, fragmented resin left after distilling the oil of turpentine from the crude oleoresin of the pine: used chiefly in making varnishes, varnish and paint driers, printing inks, and for rubbing on the bows of such string instruments as the violin.

Round 2: R Q N A I E T O G

C1: TEARING (7)
C2: GRANITE (7)
DC: TRIAGE (6) TOERAG (6)
OT: GENITOR (7) GRATINE (7) INGRATE (7) NEGATOR (7) ORATING (7) TANGIER (7) TRIGONE (7)
Score: 14–14 (max 14)

Again, another flat 7 round. Hopefully things will change shortly. :)

A TRIGONE is the area on the floor of the urinary bladder between the opening of the urethra in front and the two ureters at the sides. (Surprised Dr. Phil didn't get that one :!: :P )

Round 3: 100, 1, 10, 8, 6, 5. Target: 838.

C1: 838. ((100 + 6) x 8) - 10 (10)
C2: 838. Mistake in working.
Score: 24–14 (max 24)

Everything looks plain sailing in this numbers game until Kevin reveals that he has made a mistake, giving Bradley a slightly unexpected lead. 8-)

Teatime teaser: CRESTDIP -> SCRIPTED

Round 4: S X N R E U O H A

C1: SENHORA (7)
C2: houser
DC: nhs NURSE (5)
OT: HOAXERS (7) SAXHORN (7) UNHORSE (7)
Score: 31–14 (max 31)

Another good 7 from Bradley, as Kevin's 6 isn't found there, while Dr. Phil goes to the NHS with a NURSE. :)

A SAXHORN is any of a family of brass instruments close to the cornets and tubas.

Round 5: S E V I L O G D A

C1: SILAGED (7)
C2: GLADES (6)
OT: GLAIVES (7) GOALIES (7) LOVAGES (7) VISAGED (7)
Score: 38–14 (max 38)

Another good 7 from Bradley here, and all of a sudden his lead goes past 20 points.

A LOVAGE is a European plant, Levisticum officinale, of the parsley family, having coarsely toothed compound leaves, cultivated in gardens.

Round 6: 100, 2, 3, 4, 8, 7. Target: 150.

C1: 150. (100 / 2) x 3 (10)
C2: 150. (7 x 8) - 4 - 2 + 100 (10)
Score: 48–24 (max 48)

So many methods, so many ways of getting 10 points. Perfection is still Bradley's too, which is nice. :D

Dr. Phil talks about the charity AYME, which he is raising money for via the T-shirts he'll be wearing during his stint, as well as his own birth, where the umbilical cord was wrapped round his neck, nearly killing him in birth :!: :!: :shock: :shock:

Round 7: R E C I W E L S F

C1: refiles
C2: SLICER (6)
DC: RELIEFS (7)
OT: CREWELS (7)
Score: 48–30 (max 55)

Oh dear, like yesterday, round 7 is where Bradley's max game chance ends, but he seemed so certain that his 7 was there that even I didn't believe Susie when she said it wasn't :!: :P

A CREWEL is a worsted yarn for embroidery and edging.

Round 8: T P T P O A U R A

C1: APPORT (6)
C2: APART (5)
OT: TOTARA (6)
Score: 54–30 (max 61)

A nasty lot of letters there, but Bradley does well to spot APPORT. :)

A TOTARA is a tall coniferous forest tree, Podocarpus totara, of New Zealand, having a hard durable wood.

Round 9: 75, 5, 5, 4, 10, 10. Target: 874.

C1: 875. ((75 + 10) x 10) + (5 x 5) (7)
C2: -
RR: 874. (((10 x 10) + 75) x 5) - (5 - 4) (10)
Score: 61–30 (max 71)

A tricky numbers game, especially with umpteen ways of getting 875, but our Rach just about gets it in time. 8-)

Teatime teaser: CURESONG -> SCROUNGE

Round 10: H T P R O E I H E

C1: TRIPE (5)
C2: TRIPE (5)
DC: PRITHEE (7) POTHER (6)
Score: 66–35 (max 78)

A good load of TRIPE in this round, but DC do find the darrenic 7 that was in there. :D

Round 11: D A M O C E D P M

C1: POMADED (7)
C2: POMADE (6)
DC: DECAPOD (7)
Score: 73–35 (max 85)

Ouchy, Kevin forgets to use the 2nd D, and Bradley seems almost home and dry now.........

Susie's Origins Of Words talks about the origins of the names "Phil", "Nick", "Rachel" and "Derek".

Round 12: S F G R I O E N U

C1: REFUSING (8)
C2: REFUSING (8)
DC: SURGEON (7) FINGERS (7)
OT: SOIGNEUR (8)
Score: 81–43 (max 93)

Well, Kevin might be REFUSING to give up, but he might have no choice, as he needs a 9 that Bradley can't get just to hope for a crucial conundrum!!

Round 13: D O S I G E T S A

C1: GODETIAS (8)
C2: GODETIAS (8)
DC: DIGESTS (7) DOSAGES (7) EGOISTS (7)
Score: 89–51 (max 101)

But, alas no, instead we have GODETIAS flowering up again, and with that, Bradley becomes a half-octochamp, meaning he has now surpassed what he achieved on his last run. 8-)

Round 14: 100, 75, 50, 2, 8, 2. Target: 114.

C1: 114. 100 + (8 x 2) - 2 (10)
C2: 114. 100 + (8 x 2) - 2 (10)
Score: 99–61 (max 111)

It might've been a 3 large, but it's a nice and simple numbers game yet again, which puts Bradley in pole position to grab another century. 8-)

Round 15: C H E S T S K I N

C1 buzzes on 6.5 seconds to say THICKNESS which is correct.
Final Score: 109–61 (max 121)

And indeed he does :!: :!: :!: ;) :) :D :geek: :ugeek:

Another high quality performance, a 12 maxer no less, and Bradley proves yet again that you don't necessarily need to be an Apterite to be a top-quality contender. I personally think of him as a Julian Fell Mk. II, and he seems to have lived up to that and more from what I've seen so far :!: :!: 8-) 8-) 8-)

I'll be back tomorrow to see if he can make it 5 in a row, and you'd be hard pressed to bet against that at the moment :!: :!:

So, till then, see you tomorrow. Bye, bye. ;) ;) :) :) :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8-) 8-)

Statistics Corner

Bradley:
Total score - 109
Raw score - 109
Total % of max - 90
Raw % of max - 90
Total average score per round - 7.3
Raw average score per round - 7.3
Number of maxes - 12 8-) 8-)

Kevin:
Total score - 61
Raw score - 78
Total % of max - 50
Raw % of max - 64
Total average score per round - 4.1
Raw average score per round - 5.2
Number of maxes - 6

Further summaries are at:
http://cdb.apterous.org/series.php?series=69
sean d
Acolyte

Re: Wednesday 23rd October 2013 (Series 69, Prelim 76)

Post by sean d »

One thing I've noticed, and Bradley commented on too, is theres been no mention so far of his previous appearances. Seems a strange omission when it's an interesting fact and presumably they could dredge up a couple of photos of 11 year old Bradley with Richard and Carol. I wonder was it a conscious decision not to share this with the tv audience?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

sean d wrote:One thing I've noticed, and Bradley commented on too, is theres been no mention so far of his previous appearances. Seems a strange omission when it's an interesting fact and presumably they could dredge up a couple of photos of 11 year old Bradley with Richard and Carol. I wonder was it a conscious decision not to share this with the tv audience?
Sometimes they mention that a contestant has been on before - I seem to recall they did with Eileen Taylor and Steve Grimble, among others. But they don't always. I don't think they pointed out that Eric Emslie's recent appearance wasn't his first, for example.

However, I'd be surprised if anyone made a deliberate decision to keep it secret. After all, anyone can discover that Bradley is a return contestant by doing the bare minimum research to find this forum or the wiki. It's more believable that they didn't think to mention it, or maybe they mentioned it but it got cut out to save time.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

James Robinson wrote:
Round 7: R E C I W E L S F

C1: refiles
C2: SLICER (6)
DC: RELIEFS (7)
OT: CREWELS (7)
Score: 48–30 (max 55)

Oh dear, like yesterday, round 7 is where Bradley's max game chance ends, but he seemed so certain that his 7 was there that even I didn't believe Susie when she said it wasn't :!: :P
The whole point of filing something is so it can be referred to again later. When you've done that you then 'refile' it. If you can't refile something then you may as well have thrown it away in the first place! ;)
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

I don't think there's anything 'sinister' about not mentioning his history, it just strikes me as odd. He is in many ways the most interesting return appearance having hit the headlines last time as the 11yo genius. It wasn't mentioned and cut during the recording of his first 3 shows anyway.

I thought RELIEFS was safer then REFILES, incidentally.