Spoilers For Monday October 21st 2013

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday October 21st 2013

Post by James Robinson »

So, after an quite amazing group of episodes last week, can we expect more of the same this week, I wonder :?: :?:

After Mark Hartnett's brilliant 3 wins, he was dethroned on Friday by the returner, Bradley Cates, who put in a sensational performance to win with a score of 111 points. Will we get a repeat performance today :?: :?:

His opponent today is another member of the Aptoranks in Sean D (don't ask about the surname, I don't know either. :P ). Will he avenge his fallen Apto-comrade :?: :?:

Arlene Phillips carries on in DC for today and tomorrow, before we have a male presence for the first time in ages, with Dr. Phil Hammond in for the rest of the week. 8-)

Graeme will be recapping later on. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers For Monday October 21st 2013

Post by Andy Platt »

One of the best decisions to pick for a final vowel I've ever seen - was hoping Sean would capitalise there - AEROLITES for 9 in round 2 as a DC beater.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Andy Platt wrote:One of the best decisions to pick for a final vowel I've ever seen - was hoping Sean would capitalise there - AEROLITES for 9 in round 2 as a DC beater.
Unfortunately not everyone knows how to fish as well as you! I stuck with EARLIEST (other 8s available too).

Alt 1st numbers (75+3-2)x(10+1)+6
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Round 6 numbers: (100 x 50 - 75 - 5) / 5 - 25 = 959 as a Rachel-beater
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Is Bradley an apterite under a psuedonym or one of the best non-apterites in recent memory? I'm not sure.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Andy Platt wrote:Round 6 numbers: (100 x 50 - 75 - 5) / 5 - 25 = 959 as a Rachel-beater
Awesome, I spent ages on it and still couldn't even get to 960. Was it in time?

Edit: SPIKENARD in R10.
Last edited by Jack Worsley on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Jordan F wrote:Is Bradley an apterite under a psuedonym or one of the best non-apterites in recent memory? I'm not sure.
After SFUMATO, I'm thinking the same thing. Sorry if I sound like an elitist prick, but I refuse to believe that anybody picks that up without apterous. The other alternative is that he has made himself some sort of excel-based game with dictionary file like this guy did (remember HORTENSIA, DIATRIBE, etc).

Jack Worsley wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:Round 6 numbers: (100 x 50 - 75 - 5) / 5 - 25 = 959 as a Rachel-beater
Awesome, I spent ages on it and still couldn't even get to 960. Was it in time?
Took me about three or four seconds.
Last edited by Andy Platt on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Jordan F wrote:Is Bradley an apterite under a psuedonym or one of the best non-apterites in recent memory? I'm not sure.
He was quite good when he won his shows before - and there are other ways to practice and study too.
CO-MSO every August
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Anybody work out what SPRAINED+K was?
CO-MSO every August
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Tony Atkins wrote:Anybody work out what SPRAINED+K was?
Jack Worsley wrote:SPIKENARD in R10.

Edit

Round 14: ((75 + 2) x 50 x 3 + 100) / 25, took me well over 30 seconds though.

Unlucky Sean there, thought you played well enough to beat around 75% of contestants, but unfortunate to run into Bradley there.
His only weakness seems to be the tricky numbers.
Last edited by Andy Platt on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Andy Platt wrote:
Tony Atkins wrote:Anybody work out what SPRAINED+K was?
Jack Worsley wrote:SPIKENARD in R10.
That was his edit to the posting.
CO-MSO every August
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Rachel W perhaps? ;)

Great performance again. Well played too Sean, very few people would have coped with Bradley today.

Last numbers: (75+3)*(100+50)/25-2 = 466
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

SFUMATO came from Bradley's list of art/music terms! He said he's not on apterous and no reason to doubt that.
Bah AEROLITES .... 5 vowels is my relative strength in letters and the nice selection prompted me to go 5 vowels- though I wasnt specifically chasing anything I felt it was the type of selection I'd played on Apterous before.... and then I couldn't even see earliest !!
Pleased enough to get to 955 in studio conditions. I found 960 a little later. 959 is super elite 4L territory!

Will post later when I've had a look at the recording
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

I have an inkling that it's Matthew Brockwell, however correct me if I'm wrong.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

SFUMATO has come up on the show before, and so have things like OSTERIA and BEGONIA, it's possible he's just been watching the show devoutly and has a good memory for words. Or perhaps discovered these words through other means as people have said. If his appearances as an 11-year-old prove anything, it's that he has a good 'natural' ability for finding words, and so didn't necessarily need the help of apterous to reach the standard he's at now.
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Two very tough 4L rounds there - I was happy with 960 for round 6 and did (75+3)*(100+50)/25-2 for round 14.

Another high quality game there, well done Sean - unlucky to come up against such a strong player.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I was told Bradley has a photographic memory. He plays Countdown games, just not apterous.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

James S Roper wrote:
That was who I suspected. But Matthew was playing on Apto while (I believe) Bradley would've been filming on the 31st August.

If he told Sean and Mark he's not on Apterous, fair enough - he doesn't really stand to gain anything by lying.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
James S Roper wrote:
That was who I suspected. But Matthew was playing on Apto while (I believe) Bradley would've been filming on the 31st August.

If he told Sean and Mark he's not on Apterous, fair enough - he doesn't really stand to gain anything by lying.
I personally asked him on Twitter why he doesn't go on Apterous or attend CO-events, and he said it just wasn't his thing, which is fair enough.

But, a fantastic competitor none the less. ;) :) :D :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Matthew Brockwell

Post by Matthew Brockwell »

James S Roper wrote:
To end the speculation, I can confirm that Matthew Brockwell is my real name, and so is not anyone playing under a pseudonym. I guess not being on Facebook (at the moment) and hard(ish) to Google makes it difficult to track someone down :D .
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

Matthew Brockwell wrote:To end the speculation, I can confirm that Matthew Brockwell is my real name, and so is not anyone playing under a pseudonym. I guess not being on Facebook (at the moment) and hard(ish) to Google makes it difficult to track someone down :D .
Heh, sorry! :mrgreen: