Server upgrade

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Server upgrade

Post by Charlie Reams »

The owners of the server on which C4C and the wiki operate have seen fit to upgrade to a newer version of PHP. This partially broke C4C and has completely broken the wiki, which will probably take some time to repair.

PS is it just me or does "keep me logged in" no longer work on here?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Re: Server upgrade

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:PS is it just me or does "keep me logged in" no longer work on here?
Not just you. Been screwed for me ever since the 'upgrade'.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Didn't I point this out yesterday? And why don't you turn this into a Global announcement? IT's that important!

keep up Charlie...
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:PS is it just me or does "keep me logged in" no longer work on here?
Never worked for me. Ever.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Likewise.

Sorry to hear about the problems, Charlie, and hope you manage to sort them remotely.

On the other hand, I'm glad to hear that it's not just me. The problems coincided with my first attempt to access from my phone, and I feared that I'd wrecked my settings. So thanks, Rhys, for letting me know that I was not the only one experiencing problems, and Charlie and Ben for confirming that it's widespread, including having to log in every time.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Good luck Charlie!
Lowering the averages since 2009
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Lesley Hines wrote:Good luck Charlie!
Ditto. Being wikiless will slightly slow down the historical recap process, but I suppose it can't be helped.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Me too.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

My password stopped working when I just tried to log in so just had to reset it. Probably due to the upgrade but I don't know if I was the only one affected.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Interesting to come into work and find that the forum looks fine in IE7 - the text is now tiny in Firefox. None of my subscriptions seem to be working either, as well as the logging-in issue.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Seems that different people are experiencing different problems.
Ian Volante wrote:Interesting to come into work and find that the forum looks fine in IE7 - the text is now tiny in Firefox. None of my subscriptions seem to be working either, as well as the logging-in issue.
I've tried it at home with three browsers, Firefox, Opera and IE7, and there's no apparent difference at all.
Kai Laddiman wrote:My password stopped working when I just tried to log in so just had to reset it. Probably due to the upgrade but I don't know if I was the only one affected.
I've had no password problems, other than having to log in every time I come back.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Howard Somerset wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:My password stopped working when I just tried to log in so just had to reset it. Probably due to the upgrade but I don't know if I was the only one affected.
I've had no password problems, other than having to log in every time I come back.
I've had this problem now though.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Note: if you remove the session ID part of the URL (&sid=xxx) when posting a link to another part of the forum, you won't be logged in when you click on the link.
Which, we'll see, might make posting links around the forum really annoying from now on, as obviously session IDs are individual anyway so it's not like leaving them in will help neither.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

When will the wiki be back, Charlie?

If it does come back, then will there have to be a Dumping as I gather there was last time?

If it is, I'll help out.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:When will the wiki be back, Charlie?
Whenever I get around to it.
If it does come back, then will there have to be a Dumping as I gather there was last time?
No, that was for creating the wiki. All the information is safely stored in the database, it's just the website that's broken.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Now please!
Charlie Reams wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:If it does come back, then will there have to be a Dumping as I gather there was last time?
No, that was for creating the wiki. All the information is safely stored in the database, it's just the website that's broken.
Oh good.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Now please!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

date?

Oh. and don't say it......
Last edited by Rhys Benjamin on Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:date?
I don't think Charlie swings that way, sorry.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:date?

Oh. and don't say it......
Unless you want Charlie to start charging £15 a year each for membership to this forum and the wiki too, for all the hard work and maintenance he puts in to it, I really wouldn't start exercising too many complainers' rights.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Ian Volante wrote:Interesting to come into work and find that the forum looks fine in IE7 - the text is now tiny in Firefox.
Did you inadvertently click on the text size button marked 'A' above your name on the front page? Altering the text size is saved....
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Chris Corby wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Interesting to come into work and find that the forum looks fine in IE7 - the text is now tiny in Firefox.
Did you inadvertently click on the text size button marked 'A' above your name on the front page? Altering the text size is saved....
Maybe. Is that only visible in FF, cos I can't see it in IE?

In other news, it appears that navigating to the home page deals an instant log-out for me (although going back returns me to a logged-in state).
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:it appears that navigating to the home page deals an instant log-out for me (although going back returns me to a logged-in state).
I presume you mean manually going to index.php, rather than simply clicking the top-left logo to go back to the homepage?
If so, this is just a repetition of the "removing the session ID" thing I talked about above - clicking the logo will keep your session intact.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:it appears that navigating to the home page deals an instant log-out for me (although going back returns me to a logged-in state).
I presume you mean manually going to index.php, rather than simply clicking the top-left logo to go back to the homepage?
If so, this is just a repetition of the "removing the session ID" thing I talked about above - clicking the logo will keep your session intact.
I can't see the logo (there's a logo? :? ), so I was just clicking on the link (c4countdown).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
I can't see the logo (there's a logo? :? ), so I was just clicking on the link (c4countdown).
Ah right. Yeah you're probably using that shitty aerogreen skin instead of prosilver :)
Either way, the logo/c4countdown text link AND the 'Board index' text link just below (the same on each skin) will keep your session ID intact, so no idea how you managed to lose it. I blame aerogreen.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Aaaaand we're back. Not sure what's happened to the logo.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Charlie Reams wrote:Aaaaand we're back. Not sure what's happened to the logo.
Well done, Charlie!

I can read it. But unfortunately, when I tried to make an update, I got that same error message as was reported before, and the update hadn't been accepted.

I've just tried an update again, to see if it was a one-off, and again it failed. The error message given was:
Internal error
From Countdown
Jump to: navigation, search

Set $wgShowExceptionDetails = true; at the bottom of LocalSettings.php to show detailed debugging information.

Retrieved from "http://wiki.apterous.org/Series_63"
The bits in red weren't actually shown, but when I copied and pasted the error message, they appeared.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Aaaaand we're back. Not sure what's happened to the logo.
Well done, Charlie!

I can read it. But unfortunately, when I tried to make an update, I got that same error message as was reported before, and the update hadn't been accepted.

I've just tried an update again, to see if it was a one-off, and again it failed. The error message given was:
Internal error
From Countdown
Jump to: navigation, search

Set $wgShowExceptionDetails = true; at the bottom of LocalSettings.php to show detailed debugging information.

Retrieved from "http://wiki.apterous.org/Series_63"
The bits in red weren't actually shown, but when I copied and pasted the error message, they appeared.
I tried an update as well, but thought I probably wasn't going to get anywhere after noticing that the edit page just said what the page was.

In other words, normally when editing something it says on the top "Editing Series 63" (for example), but it just said "Series 63".

Well, at least it's something. Keep up the good work, Charlie. ;)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Good work so far. This place seems to still lose sessions, but subscription e-mails have returned at least, although I'm not sure whether they were reset or not. I suppose I'll find out next time someone posts in the Birthdays thread. Or not.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

There is a further message displayed when a Wiki update is attempted. The message is not copyable, so I've typed it out here.
Warning: Parameter 1 to ReCaptcha::confirmEdit() expected to be a reference value given in /home/calr3/public_html/wiki/includes/Hooks.php on line 133
The bottoms of many of the characters are hidden behind some of the tabs, so I may have interpreted some of them incorrectly.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Howard Somerset wrote:There is a further message displayed when a Wiki update is attempted. The message is not copyable, so I've typed it out here.
Warning: Parameter 1 to ReCaptcha::confirmEdit() expected to be a reference value given in /home/calr3/public_html/wiki/includes/Hooks.php on line 133
The bottoms of many of the characters are hidden behind some of the tabs, so I may have interpreted some of them incorrectly.
I managed to copy it, although it was very tricky.
Warning: Parameter 1 to ReCaptcha::confirmEdit() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/calr3/public_html/wiki/includes/Hooks.php on line 133
And I think it does match, more or less what you've wrote down, Howard. :) Just not as bold. :lol:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:Good work so far. This place seems to still lose sessions, but subscription e-mails have returned at least, although I'm not sure whether they were reset or not. I suppose I'll find out next time someone posts in the Birthdays thread. Or not.
I think the most shocking news that has come out of this whole debacle is that you're subscribed to the Birthdays thread - lolwut?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Good work so far. This place seems to still lose sessions, but subscription e-mails have returned at least, although I'm not sure whether they were reset or not. I suppose I'll find out next time someone posts in the Birthdays thread. Or not.
I think the most shocking news that has come out of this whole debacle is that you're subscribed to the Birthdays thread - lolwut?
I've never unsubscribed from a thread I've posted in, no matter how dull...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
I'm probably confused. You get an e-mail everytime someone posts in every thread you've ever posted in before?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I think the most shocking news that has come out of this whole debacle is that you're subscribed to the Birthdays thread - lolwut?
I'm probably confused. You get an e-mail everytime someone posts in every thread you've ever posted in before?
Yep! Easiest way of keeping track of threads I find. A large percentage of threads die out after a few days, so it's not like I'm deluged or anything.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

What James and Howard said, basically, is we can't edit anything.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

James Robinson wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:There is a further message displayed when a Wiki update is attempted. The message is not copyable, so I've typed it out here.
I managed to copy it, although it was very tricky.
Warning: Parameter 1 to ReCaptcha::confirmEdit() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/calr3/public_html/wiki/includes/Hooks.php on line 133
And I think it does match, more or less what you've wrote down, Howard. :) Just not as bold. :lol:
Thanks QA team. It looks like one of the extensions isn't compatible with the new MediaWiki, so I'll have to do some more fiddling.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Fiddling complete, I managed to edit an article successfully. Let me know if anything else bad happens.

Next stop is to get the cookies fixed on the forum so that staying logged in works.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Volante wrote:I've never unsubscribed from a thread I've posted in, no matter how dull...
You're making it sound like subscribing is just something that happens automatically and you'd have to actively unsubscribe. That's never been the case for me!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:I've never unsubscribed from a thread I've posted in, no matter how dull...
You're making it sound like subscribing is just something that happens automatically and you'd have to actively unsubscribe. That's never been the case for me!
I assume it's in the settings somewhere, I can't remember.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

View new posts?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:View new posts?
wat
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:View new posts?
wat
I prefer to smell them.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Well done, Charlie. Wiki looking good now. :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Looks like I'll have to upgrade the forum to the new version of phpBB to fix the login problem. This will probably break the extensions so... (make sure you're sitting down before reading this) Likes might be broken for a while. Try not to panic!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Hooray! C4C has been upgraded to the latest version of phpBB. This is the first update since we moved here nearly three years ago, so it was long overdue anyway, and appears to have fixed the login problem. Unfortunately it has also, as expected, broken my customizations, so there's no more Likes for the time being and this may take a little time to fix. Do not pester me about this.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

What a lovely surprise this morning. Logged before I could say Jack Robinson. Thanks Charlie.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

When will Likes be fixed?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon Corby wrote:When will Likes be fixed?
Yeah, are Likes broken? I can't see a button. Do I need to use a different skin?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Yeah, are Likes broken? I can't see a button. Do I need to use a different skin?
I tried to Like both of these messages but I seem to be having the same problem you guys have. Something freaky is going on and I bet Gandiseeg's involved. :?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
I tried to Like both of these messages but I seem to be having the same problem you guys have. Something freaky is going on and I bet Gandiseeg's involved. :?
I've tried clicking on the word 'Like' in the message and nothing is happening.

Do I need to upgrade Java?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Oh, might it be that I'm not on my regular Internet connection? (We had a power cut so we're in a friend's place.)

I'll head home now and try it again, see if it works if I'm using my own Internets.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Do I not like that?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Likes are working fine for me.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Back home on our own Internet (and electricity, before you ask) but still no Likes. V unimpressed :x :x :x
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Charlie Reams wrote:Likes are working fine for me.
Don't worry, I believe you.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Oh, I have an idea, if you want to Like a post, just quote it and write ***LIKE*** underneath, then once Charlie gets Likes fixed he can count them all up and sort out the totals :ugeek:
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Michael Wallace wrote:Oh, I have an idea, if you want to Like a post, just quote it and write ***LIKE*** underneath, then once Charlie gets Likes fixed he can count them all up and sort out the totals :ugeek:
***LIKE***
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Michael Wallace wrote:Oh, I have an idea, if you want to Like a post, just quote it and write ***LIKE*** underneath, then once Charlie gets Likes fixed he can count them all up and sort out the totals :ugeek:
Likes are working fine in Pro-Silver for me man.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Likes are working fine in Pro-Silver for me man.
Not working for me on Prosilver.