Hex

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Kirk Bevins
God

Hex

Post by Kirk Bevins »

On Hex Appeal tonight for £1 I had musical instruments _A_A_A_ _A. Thanks, Damian :)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Hex

Post by Ryan Taylor »

On Hex Maniac also last night but for £2 ('cos I play the £1 game innit) was: BIRD - SAND _AR_IN and I didn't get it and I lost my original £1. I thought it was SAND LARKIN, oh how foolish.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Great thread guys.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

On Hexual Frustration also last night (but for £5) I had PR_STIT_TE W_TH A_DS; I thought it was PRUSTITLE WATH ALDS, oh how foolish. Didn't get my money back. 8-)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

When I was playing Hex recently, the screen was slightly fucked and we lost a few lives because it took the key next to the one we were pressing. I was drinking Guinness, and my friend (who shall remain nameless) had a club sandwich (called Keith).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:When I was playing Hex recently, the screen was slightly fucked and we lost a few lives because it took the key next to the one we were pressing. I was drinking Guinness, and my friend (who shall remain nameless) had a club sandwich (called Keith).
Assuming you went outside afterwards, can you tell us more about the weather at the time?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:When I was playing Hex recently, the screen was slightly fucked and we lost a few lives because it took the key next to the one we were pressing. I was drinking Guinness, and my friend (who shall remain nameless) had a club sandwich (called Keith).
Assuming you went outside afterwards, can you tell us more about the weather at the time?
By sheer fluke, you have hit on another fascinating story. It was raining when we went outside, and work is only a few hundred metres from the pub. My friend (who shall remain nameless) wanted to wait it out, whereas I said we could be here for ages waiting and it might not ease off, so I legged it. Within seconds, it absolutely fucking hammered down for the duration of my run, and my clothes hadn't dried out several hours later when I went home.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
By sheer fluke, you have hit on another fascinating story. It was raining when we went outside, and work is only a few hundred metres from the pub. My friend (who shall remain nameless) wanted to wait it out, whereas I said we could be here for ages waiting and it might not ease off, so I legged it. Within seconds, it absolutely fucking hammered down for the duration of my run, and my clothes hadn't dried out several hours later when I went home.
I'm literally astonished that you managed to follow up that first story with an even better one. This is like The Empire Strikes Back of anecdotes.

BTW what were you eating? Not another club sandwich I hope!!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What's Hex?
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Gavin Chipper wrote:What's Hex?
It's the computer that runs on ants in Terry Pratchett's books.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:What's Hex?
It's like Hangman on a quiz machine, but crap.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote: It's like Hangman on a quiz machine, but crap.
Piss off, it's good. You get to learn the same answers that come up again and again and it's quite easy to win £1 if you're good at crosswords and words. Even words you don't know the meaning of you can guess from countdown, e.g. musical instruments _ I _ U E _ A. I guessed VIHUELA as it fit and I was right. It looks impressive to the non-word game person.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Piss off, it's good. You get to learn the same answers that come up again and again and it's quite easy to win £1 if you're good at crosswords and words. Even words you don't know the meaning of you can guess from countdown, e.g. musical instruments _ I _ U E _ A. I guessed VIHUELA as it fit and I was right. It looks impressive to the non-word game person.
To paraphrase: you can probably win a pound every three times you play! Wow, profit!! and... it gets you the ladies!!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
To paraphrase: you can probably win a pound every three times you play! Wow, profit!! and... it gets you the ladies!!
Easy for you to take the piss though Jono after you had the three of us eating out of your hand after blowing our minds with that one what we did in Camden that I have forgotten the name of.
After the first go you pretty much blew our minds with your unnerving technique and powerful skills. Probably should have left it at that after the first go though.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Caesar's Palace. After the first go I didn't feel like I needed to prove myself anymore so it all went to shit.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon O'Neill wrote: To paraphrase: you can probably win a pound every three times you play! Wow, profit!! and... it gets you the ladies!!
Just cuz you're shit. £3 in tonight, £6 out. Job done.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote: To paraphrase: you can probably win a pound every three times you play! Wow, profit!! and... it gets you the ladies!!
What do you reckon your net (lifetime) profit from Hex is?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
What do you reckon your net (lifetime) profit from Hex is?
No idea but you learn which machines are better for paying out. I'm probably on a loss to be fair though. Pints Make Prizes will help reduce that loss as I've won £6, £8 or £10 on there quite often.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

After COLEI I went clubbing in York and started in Yates and played on the quizzer there, whilst dancing on the spot to cheesy music. I played buzzwords first and these guys and girls were watching me and they were like "fucking hell, he's quick" and then the next round came up: MSRTOAETA. Cue me typing in TERATOMAS followed by AMARETTOS for 100 bonus points and then loads of 8s, 7s etc - I seemed to impress the blokes more than the women though :(. I had to then make do with watching girls continuely dance up and down the pole, flashing their knickers at anyone willing to look. :)

Oh and I made a profit from the machines in Leicester...something like £2 in and £6 out.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:After COLEI I went clubbing in York and started in Yates and played on the quizzer there, whilst dancing on the spot to cheesy music. I played buzzwords first and these guys and girls were watching me and they were like "fucking hell, he's quick" and then the next round came up: MSRTOAETA. Cue me typing in TERATOMAS followed by AMARETTOS for 100 bonus points and then loads of 8s, 7s etc - I seemed to impress the blokes more than the women though :(. I had to then make do with watching girls continuely dance up and down the pole, flashing their knickers at anyone willing to look. :)

Oh and I made a profit from the machines in Leicester...something like £2 in and £6 out.
You are absolutely my hero.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I went clubbing in York and started in Yates and played on the quizzer there, whilst dancing on the spot [...] I had to then make do with watching girls
Something tells me Lloyd Pettet would not be proud of your definition of a night out.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Wished I'd paid a pound a play to double my winnings last night. Didn't know the pub so just played 50p a play and every other hexagon was an extra £1 waiting to be won. The hardest one was currencies: _ _ _ _ I Y _. I knew OUGUIYA was a word from apterous so I tried it and I was right. I love it when things like that happen. Anyway I won £11.

There is also a new anagram game called Hexagrams. Similar idea but instead of hangman it's anagrams so I had "drinks" for the start hexagon and we had _ _ A, with ET as the remaining letters. Does get harder and multiple words and they do stuff like "Oklahoma towns" but you can usually guess -ton or -ville or shit like that. Quite good. 2 negatives are that the letters are hard to read as they're made more spooky so aren't as clear and secondly you can't collect during the next round like hex - if you have won £1 and you choose to play on you have to complete that hexagon otherwise you lose your pound. Only ever found this game on one machine though.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Kirk Bevins wrote:the letters are hard to read as they're made more spooky so aren't as clear
For some reason I love this description.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

A mate was on battleships and one of the questions was "Where would you find a reredos" and it gave three options. It was pleasing to see a word I knew from apterous crop up and knew its definition (sort of). The answer was "in a church".
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:A mate was on battleships and one of the questions was "Where would you find a reredos" and it gave three options. It was pleasing to see a word I knew from apterous crop up and knew its definition (sort of). The answer was "in a church".
What is it then - an act of anal rape?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

^Like! Also tonight it has transpired that Innis is a real gem to have on Hex and can name any Simpsons episode from just two letters "THEY SAVED LISA'S BRAIN!" Also when Sky TV channels popped up it was amusing explaining E! to Howard: P
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

WTF. Deal Or No Deal used to good fun on the quizzy. Then they changed it (by increasing the number of boxes) and it seemed to be a bit more poo than before, we didn't used to reach the end game as much, in fact you seemed to take out the 250,000 box in every round. But never mind, still not that bad. But today, we reached the end game - and now they've changed that too. Instead of playing 'Deal Or No Deal' for cash, we now had a Find The Lady type game, where we had to follow three boxes (which contained £3, £3.50 and £4)

WHAT THE HELL?

We wanted to play Deal Or No Deal for cash. That's fun. You don't have to offer anything other than £3, £3.50 or £4 if you don't want to, but at least put on the pretence for us. Then we can jeer at whoever took out the £20, or get excited when we take out low ones. Why the fuck would you utterly ruin the game (and make the franchise pointless) like this?

We got £3.50 by the way. And then won £7 by getting to the final on Premier League Darts 8-)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I was chatting to Ryan earlier and let him know I've now got Hex Appeal (the previous version to Hex Maniac but with the exact same gameplay and largely the same questions) fully working on my own Windows PC. Obviously you can't win money, obviously it lacks a touch of the appeal of a real quizzer, etc.

Anyway, I was going to give him a download link but it's about a gigabyte (including various other classic quiz machine games such as Cluedo, Monopoly, WWTBAM, Bullseye etc.) and also the instructions are a little complicated as they are a product of me trying for ages to get it to work, having to download various other files and fixes and so on.

To cut a long story short, I'm just going to prepare it all myself to save Ryan the time and effort cos I'm lovely, and burn it onto a DVD for him with much briefer instructions and bring it along to COLIN for him, for which I intend to charge him the princely sum of one pint of ye olde ale in The Pub.

My Facebook account is down for maintenance at the moment so I just came here to tell him (as he obviously checks C4C every five minutes) and it occurred to me some of you other Hex fans might want a copy? I'd be happy to extend the same offer for any of you bastards.

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:I was chatting to Ryan earlier
Was that called chatting?
Matt Morrison wrote:Anyway, I was going to give him a download link but it's about a gigabyte
My laptop is very crap, you thought wisely.
Matt Morrison wrote:(including various other classic quiz machine games such as Cluedo, Monopoly, WWTBAM, Bullseye etc.)
I love all those games (except maybe the Cluedo one)
Matt Morrison wrote:To cut a long story short, I'm just going to prepare it all myself to save Ryan the time and effort
You're lovely.
Matt Morrison wrote:cos I'm lovely
I just said that, prick.
Matt Morrison wrote:and burn it onto a DVD for him with much briefer instructions
I excite.
Matt Morrison wrote:and bring it along to COLIN for him
OMG OMG OMG it's COLIN this week! Wooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Matt Morrison wrote:I intend to charge him the princely sum of one pint of ye olde ale in The Pub.
I won't get served.
Matt Morrison wrote:My Facebook account is down for maintenance at the moment
What HAVE you been doing?
Matt Morrison wrote:I just came here to tell him (as he obviously checks C4C every five minutes)
You know me too well. Even when I've just clicked "view new posts" I will click it about 30 seconds later just to see if there has been any updates within the last 30 seconds. This probably goes on for about 5 minutes until I realise that nobody is going to post so I then go on Facebook for a bit to waste more time before coming back to c4c to check "view new posts" and miraculously there will usually be at least one more post. In my head it's like the game "What Time is it Mr Wolf?"

My "solid day of revision" has been anything but. BBC Breakfast, c4c, walk to Sainsbury's, facebook, Daily Mail crossword, c4c, weetabix, Supermarket Sweep, c4c, Wheel of Fortune, facebook, c4c, more Weetabix, c4c, youtube, beat Apterous Sponge twice, c4c. Now just waiting to do my recap today. About 9 minutes to go until I prepare for it.

MY LIFE IS FUCKING SHIT AND I HATE IT.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

^ <3 ^^ <3

I would love a copy of the DVD. It sounds amazing! But I won't be at COLIN and have no idea when I might see you next :(
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:My "solid day of revision" has been anything but. BBC Breakfast, c4c, walk to Sainsbury's, facebook, Daily Mail crossword, c4c, weetabix, Supermarket Sweep, c4c, Wheel of Fortune, facebook, c4c, more Weetabix, c4c, youtube, beat Apterous Sponge twice, c4c.
What about the bit when you couldn't spell SAINTSHIP?
Dinos Sfyris wrote:^ <3 ^^ <3

I would love a copy of the DVD. It sounds amazing! But I won't be at COLIN and have no idea when I might see you next :(
No probs Dean. I'll do you a copy and post it to you or something. You can just owe me the pint for whenever we next meet. Don't worry about the jiffy bag or the postage or me having to go out in the cold, that's all free.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:My "solid day of revision" has been anything but. BBC Breakfast, c4c, walk to Sainsbury's, facebook, Daily Mail crossword, c4c, weetabix, Supermarket Sweep, c4c, Wheel of Fortune, facebook, c4c, more Weetabix, c4c, youtube, beat Apterous Sponge twice, c4c.
What about the bit when you couldn't spell SAINTSHIP?
Dinos Sfyris wrote:^ <3 ^^ <3

No probs Dean. I'll do you a copy and post it to you or something. You can just owe me the pint for whenever we next meet. Don't worry about the jiffy bag or the postage or me having to go out in the cold, that's all free.
I'd better make it 2 pints then...plus some kisses, YOU LOVELY, WARM, FRIENDLY MAN xx

pming you my address as we speak.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby will probably take a copy, you cheating wankers.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

We just went on a hunt for a local quiz machine, and found one that has "Hex Mex". This is nothing like Hex, alas, but is actually quite an easy game. We won a MYSTERY PRIZE (although this later turned out to just be £1), and at one point we won £2 but the machine only gave us £1. Later on though it gave us £2 when we'd only won £1, so it's all fine.

Also, one of the answers to a question was 'raccoon', so I came.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

We played Hex Mex the other day after your recommendation, when the normal decent quiz machine in the Stepney Green Wetherspoons was turned off and only the shit one was on.
It was good fun but in general you can see why we call the shit quiz machine the shit quiz machine.

In other news I today encountered the new Hex game, Hex Factor. I think it's very likely I'm the first to play it on this forum considered I was only the 2nd person to play it on this particular machine, and I haven't seen it on any other machine yet. I'll let you offer some ideas about what sort of form you might think it takes before I tell you how disappointingly gay it is :(

I can only imagine this is the game that is the reason why Hex Maniac itself has been removed from so many quizzers - if it is, this is bad news. Not that I expected normal Hex to suddenly come back to all those machines again. Sad Hex-based times.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:We played Hex Mex the other day after your recommendation, when the normal decent quiz machine in the Stepney Green Wetherspoons was turned off and only the shit one was on.
It was good fun but in general you can see why we call the shit quiz machine the shit quiz machine.
We played some Hex Mex the other day and got some hilariously hard questions. The machine had clearly seriously tightened up (we got to the final 3/4 times and every time there was just 1 prize point available). Some good guessing (only some of it educated) meant we won 2/4 and got our money back, though. 8-) [/threadofbrag]

It's definitely the easiest game I've encountered on a quizzer. The final round is a little bit harsh if you mess up and make it so it's impossible to reach a prize (if you get to the end you just lose anyway, which seems a bit dumb - why not reward someone for getting across with one more shot at the prize round?), but the minigames are absolute gifts and the questions don't seem too hard, and you can get away with a lot of wrong answers and still win.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Had a bit of a Hex Mex sesh yesterday. Highlight was the question "In which year did the hundred years' war start?" The options were 1437, 1446 and 1453. Makes me think there should be a quizzer game where every question has a word wrong and you have to work out what the correct question was from the options given.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

After the screen had some kind of palsy in the pub in manchester on monday and we couldn't claim our winnings, me and alex hit the wetherspoons just down the road from uni today, where hex maniac is still in full swing. Sadly it wasn't a profitable venture but we had some good shouts including Alex shouting out LEISHAMANIASIS from about 5 letters on diseases.

Unfortunately after that we lost a few lives thanks to Guinness-fingers and then came unstuck on planetary moons (6 letters non given) We tried to think of as many as we could: PHOBOS, OBERON, EUROPA... and decided O was the most prevalent letter, and there was one _ _ _ O _ _. So we thought it might be EUROPA and went for A but lost our final life :( Can anyone get which moon it was?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:After the screen had some kind of palsy in the pub in manchester on monday and we couldn't claim our winnings, me and alex hit the wetherspoons just down the road from uni today, where hex maniac is still in full swing. Sadly it wasn't a profitable venture but we had some good shouts including Alex shouting out LEISHAMANIASIS from about 5 letters on diseases.

Unfortunately after that we lost a few lives thanks to Guinness-fingers and then came unstuck on planetary moons (6 letters non given) We tried to think of as many as we could: PHOBOS, OBERON, EUROPA... and decided O was the most prevalent letter, and there was one _ _ _ O _ _. So we thought it might be EUROPA and went for A but lost our final life :( Can anyone get which moon it was?
Is your uni in Lancashire? If so, I reckon it was T' MOON.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:After the screen had some kind of palsy in the pub in manchester on monday and we couldn't claim our winnings, me and alex hit the wetherspoons just down the road from uni today, where hex maniac is still in full swing. Sadly it wasn't a profitable venture but we had some good shouts including Alex shouting out LEISHAMANIASIS from about 5 letters on diseases.

SINOPE (I think is the right spelling)

('Far Out' by Blur comes up trumps again... possibly)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Yep SINOPE. Never heard of it
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Yep SINOPE. Never heard of it
You should listen to more Blur.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Genuinely surprised about the lack of interest in Hex Factor from you lot. You Hexists.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I text MWM to tell him about my Hex adventure. I played Hex Maniac on Monday night in a little pub in Bowness-on-Windermere but wasn't very successful. I then went back on the Thursday and won £3 but my pint of Strongbow cost me £3.40 so I was out of pocket really. Also (as I text MWM again today) I went to play Hex in a spoonies with Josh and it had been removed. From Matt's previous post this is apparently becoming common (which is a shame) but this is the first time I've been to one where it's been removed.Eggheads however was a new game on it so we went on that and it was easy to get to the final and then once there the questions become impossible. Anyway, what's Hex Mex and Hex Factor like? I've never even seen any of them let alone played them.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Thanks for your texts Ry. My phone's been really shit last couple of days - as I type it's charging itself again back from zero where it died yesterday evening for no reason.

Hex Mex is nothing to do with Hex and you have to get through 2 rounds of a blockbuster-type board where you have to complete 5 questions or games in a line to get through, and then on the 3rd round board you get £1 (I judge from Michael's stuff that sometimes some £2 target squares are there too, but not when we won on it) for getting the 5 done. The games are, I think, three in number. The first you have to memorise six food items in an octagon layout that appear for a second, then press the right one when it appears in the middle of the octagon layout. The second is a Simon Says type music/colour memory thing where you have to play the sequence back. And thirdly (think that's all) is a word search for food-related words which are listed. In each case, depending on how far through the game you are, or how much of a cunt the machine is being, you'll have to do between three and five of the items/sequences/words. It's a 15-20 second timer to complete the whole game, but even when you have to do five it's tight but not hard, and we didn't fuck up a single game. On the question side, they're the usual 3-choice affairs, with the first round questions being usually simple. You get one "try again" (i.e. fuck up a question or fuck up a game and you go back to the board and can choose another square) per round, but I don't think they accumulate.

Hex Factor
This is only for Ryan to read cos no one else cares.
Hex Factor is the newest incarnation of Hex. It's a fucking tournament game, can you believe it? Basically there is nothing to win, not instantly anyway. You play the game, register your score with your name and mobile number, there's a high score list on the machine itself, and you can win from being the top scorer on the machine at the end of the tournament (though I might have got that wrong), more important prize is of course the Top 10 (or maybe 5) scores from around the country at the end of the tournament, and also by just registering your name and mobile on ANY game you play regardless of score and being chosen as one of a few random winners at the end. Can't remember what the prizes were but I recall cash for the main tournament prizes. So you're just going for score. You have 6 minutes total play time, so speed is of the essence. You get awarded random bonuses from the usual five at the start, and (from what I saw on my one go), no further bonuses to collect as you go. Each round starts with 100 on the clock and ticks down for points, I think I completed two short words in about two seconds and got 94 points for each of these. Your score builds up, and every so often, where you'd usually see the bonus or the prizes marked above the board, you get x2 squares. These just multiply your accumulated score so far by two. Maybe you get x3 or something if you get real far, I dunno. I think they were every 3 or 4 squares, but only played once so can't say how random they are. You get 6 lives as per normal. The most exciting thing is there is shit loads of new categories. Like a cunt, and because you lot are cunts that didn't want to know about Hex Factor, I've forgotten them all. So go fuck off and find your own Hex Factor machine and check them out. Obviously it's not going to be much fun for more than a couple of games when you know you can't win anything really, but some of the new categories were really cool. Good fun. And of course, slightly updated and better graphics, just slightly. Well, that's about it. I can't remember what I scored on my one game (by the way, it doesn't say anywhere how much it costs, but it IS 50p, trust! - was well scared it was going to take my whole quid but had to try it) but it got me 2nd on the machine, so is definitely a fresh-as game. Also I didn't do very well, I lost my 6 lives after about 8 successful squares, with 3 and a half minutes still on the clock.

Crazy eh?

Also, have you played Diarrhea Dan from the Look Around You series? Fucking great game. Good questions too.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/lookaroundy ... s/dd.shtml
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Thanks for that Matt, sounds like Hex Mex might actually be quite good fun but Hex Factor I'll probably give a miss, that is, if it ever gets updated on the machines up in the North.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:Also, have you played Diarrhea Dan from the Look Around You series? Fucking great game. Good questions too.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/lookaroundy ... s/dd.shtml
LOL! Every answer except 2 of them was A and the ones that weren't A I still went for A. Anyay Dan was satisfied that I had collected 7 sheets.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:You get one "try again" (i.e. fuck up a question or fuck up a game and you go back to the board and can choose another square) per round, but I don't think they accumulate.
Not quite. The way it works is if you get one wrong you get another go as long as you're not 'trapped'. So on the first go, when there are 4 hexagons available, you can actually get 3 wrong before you lose, but once you get one right the rest of the column becomes unavailable, so you can plan ahead and try and maximise the number of times you have the maximum (i.e. 2) choices available.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

tbh i have no idea what you lot are on about all the way through this thread but oh well it sounds boring anyway
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Soph K wrote:tbh i have no idea what you lot are on about all the way through this thread but oh well it sounds boring anyway
Go die.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Soph K wrote:tbh i have no idea what you lot are on about all the way through this thread but oh well it sounds boring anyway
Go die.
Right. I will do. In, let's say...89 years. I wanna live till 100 so I get a letter from the queen! Who will be the queen in 89 years - considering Queen Elizabeth II is dead by then?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Soph K wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
Go die.
Right. I will do. In, let's say...89 years. I wanna live till 100 so I get a letter from the queen! Who will be the queen in 89 years - considering Queen Elizabeth II is dead by then?
It will probably be a king because men are better than women. But it doesn't matter either way because I'm pretty sure you won't live to be 100 years old.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Soph K wrote: Right. I will do. In, let's say...89 years. I wanna live till 100 so I get a letter from the queen! Who will be the queen in 89 years - considering Queen Elizabeth II is dead by then?
It will probably be a king because men are better than women. But it doesn't matter either way because I'm pretty sure you won't live to be 100 years old.
GIRLS ARE WAY BETTER THAN BOYS! PLUS, THEY ARE WAY BETTER AT MULTITASKING SO WHEN THE NEXT QUEEN REIGNS, SHE CAN EAT NOODLES WHILE RULING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...well i suppose men can eat noodles while ruling. but not if they dont like noodles!! ha!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

What the fuck is all this bullshit in the Hex thread? Fucking ridiculous.

Just to say that to allay at least SOME fears, the machine we used to play Hex on loads and then Hex disappeared has had Hex back on it for a few weeks. This is seriously good news, they can't be phasing it out.

Hex Factor? Still only seen it in the one place. Weird. Not been back there either to see if they still had it there.

Also we had a game where we'd previously played 2 or 3 Hexes, in each case answered at least 8-10 rounds correctly and STILL the £1 was nowhere in sight.
Next game, the £1 was fully on show at the edge of the start screen, followed by a glimmer of a mystery. Turns out we had £1-mystery-£2-mystery-£3 in the space of 5 rounds. Fucking insane, but interesting to note that even when it looks like it is being totally cunty and doesn't want to pay out, it CAN suddenly turn. (No, didn't play any other games on the machine in between either.)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I can't believe I've contributed to the shit in the Hex thread. Anyway, Hex update from me. So I played Hex again last night and it was paying out but then taking my money too so I ended up playing about 8 games of 50p (but eventually leaving with no money) and then in another bar I put a £1 in and managed to get to the £2 on first go but then eventually spent up and left without the initial £1 but I still had Hex goodness. I played Hex also in what is perhaps my 'local' last Sunday and it just raped me. Like seriously, raped. I put £3 in thinking it might actually turn but every time it was just that horrible sight when the game loads up of Greenness. No mysteries, no little bit of red on the edge of the screen that you know is the cash slot. I also played on Monday night this week after winning the quiz (on a tie break, COME ON!!) and I won £3 on it. I ended up taking that but then my mate dropped a bandit twice and walked out with £100+ which kind of puts my pittance of a couple of quiz in perspective. Hex answers from last night are pretty hazy but I do remember getting some absolute corkers. I still think a book of short stories based on Hex is a good idea but judging by your lack of reply to this suggestion Matthew, I guess you think it is not.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I still think a book of short stories based on Hex is a good idea but judging by your lack of reply to this suggestion Matthew, I guess you think it is not.
Shut it! I text you back and told you the story about that cocky businessman suit guy who leaned in trying to point at a letter but coming in from the side and ending up actually pressing a nonsense one like X, and then how I looked at him, only trying to look disappointed, and he reeled back like I was seriously about to punch him.

I'm sorry I didn't start the text with "Yes I agree. And here's another story for the book:", I thought you'd be clever enough to work it out.

Mind you, another thing I omitted from the text was responding to your "we could be millionaires" by saying "I'd much rather be a Hexillionaire!!!!" BA FUCKING DOOM TSCH.
Though I see from today's apterous chat that you've now invited Kirk to partake in writing the book as well, you shit. I thought we were partners.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:I still think a book of short stories based on Hex is a good idea but judging by your lack of reply to this suggestion Matthew, I guess you think it is not.
Shut it! I text you back and told you the story about that cocky businessman suit guy who leaned in trying to point at a letter but coming in from the side and ending up actually pressing a nonsense one like X, and then how I looked at him, only trying to look disappointed, and he reeled back like I was seriously about to punch him.

I'm sorry I didn't start the text with "Yes I agree. And here's another story for the book:", I thought you'd be clever enough to work it out.

Mind you, another thing I omitted from the text was responding to your "we could be millionaires" by saying "I'd much rather be a Hexillionaire!!!!" BA FUCKING DOOM TSCH.
Though I see from today's apterous chat that you've now invited Kirk to partake in writing the book as well, you shit. I thought we were partners.
Haha brilliant, and yeah I remember now. You have to be more explicit with me...
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:my mate dropped a bandit twice and walked out with £100+
wtf does that mean?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
wtf does that mean?
Not that he knocked out a cowboy and stole his cash but rather: "he won decent amounts on a fruit machine two times and ended up with over £100". The bandit refers to one-armed bandit.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
wtf does that mean?
Not that he knocked out a cowboy and stole his cash but rather: "he won decent amounts on a fruit machine two times and ended up with over £100". The bandit refers to one-armed bandit.
o rite, 'coures. I was thinking if it was some other quiz game (like cops and robbers or something).