Spoilers For Thursday September 16th 2010

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Thursday September 16th 2010

Post by James Robinson »

Thursday and the Pope seem to have arrived on our shores, but also making an impression, probably a much bigger one than Benedict XVI is our very own Eoin Monaghan, who put in a very polished performance in dispensing of David Rayner yesterday.

How long will this boy wonder last before he's Eoin, Eoin, gone :?: :lol: :oops: (It's been done plenty of times, so I couldn't resist.)

Something else you shouldn't resist is the Robinson Recap, which'll be around later on. ;) :) :D
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Spoilers For Thursday September 16th 2010

Post by Michael Wallace »

They should have made a condition of the Pope's visit being him appearing on Countdown. Although given the current champion...maybe not.

TOPICAL!!!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'm most interested in seeing how Alastair and Jeff manage to mispronounce Eoin's name today. I mean really, how hard is it to say "ee-oin" ?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Fucking awesome 9. If a little annoying for me, was well proud at spotting TENTORIA for the first time ever!
Last edited by Matt Morrison on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Post by Matt Coates »

ANORTHITE lol quality
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

<3
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

When I saw ANORTHITE I was just hoping that he'd seen it and you saw his face during the 30 seconds and you knew he had 9 - he was looking all round the studio lol. Sounds so sad but it made me so happy when he said "9" I actually did a fist pump in the air. Awesome Eoin!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kirk Bevins wrote:When I saw ANORTHITE I was just hoping that he'd seen it and you saw his face during the 30 seconds and you knew he had 9 - he was looking all round the studio lol. Sounds so sad but it made me so happy when he said "9" I actually did a fist pump in the air. Awesome Eoin!
Fuck I can't wait til you have kids Kirk.
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Post by Matt Coates »

Taxi for Hansford!!!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Matt Coates wrote:Taxi for Hansford!!!
Yeah I really don't see the point in buzzing that quickly unless you're trying to go down in countdown history for the fastest solve or something.
I mean surely no non-apterite has ever buzzed before about 3 seconds, so you don't gain anything points-wise by buzzing that early.
That said, Eoin is no doubt confident he'll win the series so I guess he doesn't care about maximising points for seedings, and record-hunting means more.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Spoiler for round 14:

25*100 = 2500
-1 = 2499
/ 3 = 833
+75-50 = 858

In the time!!

Tim.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Tim wrote:Spoiler for round 14:

25*100 = 2500
-1 = 2499
/ 3 = 833
+75-50 = 858

In the time!!

Tim.
Seriously? That's bloody awesome if so. Also, I wonder if they purposefully put a teacher against a student today as that always makes good TV - it happened with Kai too I think. Don't think they made a big deal of it though. Yeah, not sure why Eoin buzzed in instantly when he clearly solved it like 2 seconds in and was gutted. I buzzed in because I thought ENSCONDED was a word and then after I was told I was wrong I saw CONDENSED and was pretty annoyed but I only ever buzzed if I thought I knew the answer - did you think it was PARTRIDGE, CIGARETTE, GERIATRIC or something Eoin?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Awesome stuff Eoin. That's the first opportunity I have had to see you on the show. I was nowhere near ANORTHITE ... and thought you had made it up :?
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Tim wrote:Spoiler for round 14:

25*100 = 2500
-1 = 2499
/ 3 = 833
+75-50 = 858

In the time!!

Tim.
Seriously? That's bloody awesome if so. Also, I wonder if they purposefully put a teacher against a student today as that always makes good TV - it happened with Kai too I think. Don't think they made a big deal of it though. Yeah, not sure why Eoin buzzed in instantly when he clearly solved it like 2 seconds in and was gutted. I buzzed in because I thought ENSCONDED was a word and then after I was told I was wrong I saw CONDENSED and was pretty annoyed but I only ever buzzed if I thought I knew the answer - did you think it was PARTRIDGE, CIGARETTE, GERIATRIC or something Eoin?
I thought it was GRACIATED for some reason and felt really stupid when I realised it wasn't, sorry about that but I geniunely did think I had it and wasn't doing a Hansford.
Thanks again for the nice comments anyway.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
I thought it was GRACIATED for some reason and felt really stupid when I realised it wasn't, sorry about that but I geniunely did think I had it and wasn't doing a Hansford.
Thanks again for the nice comments anyway.
Don't feel stupid mate - it happens to us all. I learnt that my opponents were unlikely to get it instantly so I could spend a fraction of a second checking (I didn't do this on a crucial though). You're coming across really well. Hope your teachers and mates love it too.
Robert Baxter
Acolyte

Post by Robert Baxter »

I was having a bad day - the an F1 reference!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
Contestant: Continent please, Rachel.
Rachel: Y.
Contestant: Because I want one!

For more info, see http://wiki.apterous.org/User:The_Doctor , and don't have a go at me a the F1 drivers series.

The 86th postingest forummer.

And I'm a :ugeek:.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Robert Baxter wrote:I was having a bad day - the an F1 reference!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
Trust me, if a reference can F1 can completely turn your day around, then it really wasn't a bad day. Wait til you experience some of what life has to offer. At some point you'll experience a day so bad that it might take upwards of three or four F1 references to sort it out.
Last edited by Matt Morrison on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Robert Baxter wrote:I was having a bad day - the an F1 reference!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
Trust me, if a reference can F1 can completely turn your day around, then it really wasn't a bad day. Wait til you experience some of what life has to offer.
Get out of happy threads.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Haven't seen all of it, but ANORTHITE was quality. Didn't know it at all. As for the conundrum, I thought nerves or adrenaline made you hit the buzzer by mistake; I was scared of doing that
Last edited by Oliver Garner on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Matt Morrison wrote: Yeah I really don't see the point in buzzing that quickly unless you're trying to go down in countdown history for the fastest solve or something.
I mean surely no non-apterite has ever buzzed before about 3 seconds, so you don't gain anything points-wise by buzzing that early.
Probably also comes down a lot to force of habit from apterous, where you usually need to buzz as soon as you can to avoid getting beat. I doubt there was any kind of strategical thinking in it.

Very well played again Eoin, this series has been brilliant to watch so far.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Image
Racial stereotypical, offensive to gingers, and showing a gross act of urination and degradation. Like.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Very good performance again, Eoin.

DAIKONS in round 3, MODULI in round 6, LITHOED in round 12.

Also thought the same as Ryan in round 2, although I thought you'd get TENTORIA minimum anyway.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

SPROILER as an equaller in round 11.

Well done again Eoin 8-)
Joyce Phillips
Acolyte

Post by Joyce Phillips »

After Daniel's performance, I'm not sure that Eoin can be sure of winning the series.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joyce Phillips wrote:After Daniel's performance, I'm not sure that Eoin can be sure of winning the series.
:? I'm not sure anyone's sure that he's sure he can win the series.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Joyce Phillips wrote:After Daniel's performance, I'm not sure that Eoin can be sure of winning the series.
Nobody can ever be sure of winning a series. Eoin is a better player than Daniel (in my opinion) despite Daniel being quality but anything can happen head-to-head. We don't know who else is to come yet and Eoin might not even make the finals.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

anorthiteis easy, anyone whos done 5minutes study will get it, kids shit, hes not a natural countdown player
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

ANORTHITE was fantastic. Knew it, but was nowhere near it. Great to see someone young tearing it up again - reminds me of that time Lewis Hamilton came second in the F1 drivers' championship in his rookie season!
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Conor wrote:ANORTHITE was fantastic. Knew it, but was nowhere near it. Great to see someone young tearing it up again - reminds me of that time Lewis Hamilton came second in the F1 drivers' championship in his rookie season!
You could have some long talks with Robert Baxter.