Eurovision 2010

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

How badly do you think the UK will do in this year's Eurovision?

Last, scoring nul points.
5%
Last, picking up a few points off Ireland and Malta, through pity.
47%
Bottom 5. I'm an optimist.
21%
Between 11th and 20th. I actually think there are some countries that like that sort of crap.
11%
Top 10. I accidentally selected the wrong option.
11%
Winner. I haven't heard this year's entry.
5%

Total votes: 19

Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Eurovision 2010

Post by Martin Bishop »

Eurovision is upon us again, with the semis on Tuesday and Thursday, followed by the final on Saturday. As is usual, I'm in a state of girlish excitement about the whole thing.

As you may have guessed from the poll, I don't rate the United Kingdom entry. Normally, we can rely on other members of the big four doing badly too and keeping us company at the bottom. This year, however, they've all sent really good songs - Germany, amazingly, are one of the favourites to win. It's going to take a miracle for us to avoid last place.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Eurovision 2010

Post by Michael Wallace »

On the evening we picked our singer I got onto the Interwebs to see what price I could get for the UK to finish last, since our song struck me as such utterly bland garbage. I found 25/1 at PaddyPower, but I was drunk, so I thought better of sticking some £££ on. The next day it had dropped to 15/1, then the day after 8/1, and then the market disappeared completely, and the only odds I can find online at all now are about 3/1. For once I'll be properly rooting for a non-last place finish, since it'll be a bit annoying if I missed out on some squids because I was 'sensible'.

But anyway, I am possibly more excited about Eurovision than I was about Co:Lon.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

I have been waiting since last June for this year's! Was gonna start this topic but Martin beat me to it. Have not heard any songs except UK's and it's not the worst, but your fein Josh is gammy. Last year, on first hearing of the songs I thought they were all woeful but after Saturday I liked nearly them all. Will have popcorn ready at 8 o'clock and personal scorecard! :D

P.S: Ireland's song is like something you'd hear at a funeral. Bring back Johnny Logan for the songs.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

What we have here is possibly the last 3 people on planet Earth who watch Eurovision. Oooooo ahhhhhh.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:What we have here is possibly the last 3 people on planet Earth who watch Eurovision. Oooooo ahhhhhh.
Anyone who claims they don't like Eurovision is quite clearly a gayer.

Edit: You are so b& from Co:Lon 2011
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Many people do not like Eurovision, it is like José Mourinho or Marmite, you either like it or you don't. We, however see the lighter side to a great night's craic and enjoyment.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:What we have here is possibly the last 3 people on planet Earth who watch Eurovision. Oooooo ahhhhhh.
Anyone who claims they don't like Eurovision is quite clearly a gayer.

Edit: You are so b& from Co:Lon 2011
Well I have never watched one.
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

I always find the Eurovision Song Contest weirdly intriguing to watch. Not sure why.

I must know a bit about it though, because I even got a question right about Eurovision in my audition for A Question Of Genius.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Eurovision's worth watching with friends.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Hugh Binnie wrote:Eurovision's worth watching with friends.
I'd rather just watch friends.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Pervert.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
Pervert.
Touche.
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I managed to predict 8 of the 10 finalists, which I think is a personal best for me (I'm usually hilariously bad at it). My mistakes were Russia (who I really thought had finally submitted a song so bad to overcome the satellite effect) and Belarus, whose song was clearly half decent, but the performance was dreadful - the proper recording of the song is actually quite good. Fortunately I had a free £5 riding on them to qualify, so that sweetened it for me. Plus they had awesome butterfly dresses.

My two mistakes were Slovakia and Finland, the latter I knew were a dodgy pick but I was running out of options.

I kinda wanted Estonia to go through, partly because they looked like a bunch of sixth formers, and partly because their song was kinda catchy, but it was a bit rubbish overall.

Greece were pretty stonking, which makes up for last year when they were one of the favourites but really bad. Iceland should do well in the final too, but I can't see a dance track winning. Belgium sound so much like Five For Fighting it's funny, but as a consequence it's pleasant enough. Given Iceland last year, this could do alright on Saturday. I also like how reminiscent the dude is of Alexander Rybak - they even put him in a waistcoat.

Serbia win tonight, though. At least in terms of being that great mix of quite bad singing and awesome campness. Moldova come a close second for opening with a guy on a turntable playing an LED studded violin. Also the saxophone guy. Actually, maybe this one is my favourite after all. Hmm.

So overall, pretty encouraging. Russia's is really the only dud song to go through, and if the second semi is of a similar standard, and we could be in for an exceptionally good final. (Well, except for the UK, obviously.)
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Enjoyed Bosnia Herzegovina, Moldova, Greece, Albania, Latvia and Belarus.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

There's something about six Lituanian men in front of mic stands that translates into comedy gold.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I have six favourites from tonight's second semi: Lithuania, Ukraine, Netherlands, Romania, Ireland and Turkey. They get a vote each.

I was disappointed by Azerbaijan. It was one of the few songs I'd seen before tonight and I liked it, mainly for the drip-drop chorus. That bit somehow got underplayed in the final version and it wasn't nearly as catchy.

Ukraine was the opposite. I found it quite dull before. However, the staging for it was magnificent and it worked really well live.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

My ten: Azerbaijan, Romania, Turkey, Lithuania, Armenia, Denmark, Ukraine, Sweden, Netherlands, Bulgaria.

Much harder than Tuesday - a lot of rubbish tonight. My favourites are Lithuania, Ukraine, Turkey, Romania, Denmark, Slovenia (amazing), Netherlands, Bulgaria.

Thought Azerbaijan was rubbish, can't really understand why it's such a runaway favourite (I can still see it going through, but it was really unremarkable).
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Michael Wallace wrote:My ten: Azerbaijan, Romania, Turkey, Lithuania, Armenia, Denmark, Ukraine, Sweden, Netherlands, Bulgaria.
Ahahahaha.

Edit: Exciting news. Azerbaijan are going first on Saturday, which is a rather good news for Germany, who are going 22nd. Based on the odds, at least, Germany are getting close to being favourites. Could be a close one, this.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Anyone got a link to the UKs song so I can have a listen?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Kirk Bevins wrote:Anyone got a link to the UKs song so I can have a listen?
Enjoy (you probably won't).
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

If you doubt the enjoyment factor of Eurovision, can I recommend watching it with >20 gay chappies (all of whom I'd met through Operatic Societies / Am Dram) and a few token females? Seriously, it was one of the funniest nights of my life. Quel party ;) :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Two days later and I'm still gutted that Lithuania didn't make it through. For me, it's the biggest semi final travesty since Israel in 2007. If you are a normal person and missed the semi on Thursday, here's a link to them. I'll be surprised if there's a more enjoyable entry in tonight's final.

I'll be rooting for Germany tonight. I don't like Azerbaijan's overproduced mass-market vibe and would love it if a member of the big four overcame the geographic odds.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

France just completely overshadowed Ukraine- Winner!
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

That thing they've done going to every country all doing the same flashmob dance at the same time and webcams at people's parties - awesome! Gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. Fantastic - fair play. Great idea :D
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

It's close there between the UK and Ireland in the race for 3rd last...
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Huzzah, see if ye can catch us now!
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Thank you Georgia! We thoroughly deserved that last place. I feel sorry for Josh - it wasn't his fault. There was just no polishing that turd.

There can be no excuses now about politics and bloc voting when Germany have gone and won it. I liked Germany's song, but didn't think Lena performed it well live. She seemed nervous and rushed through it a bit. Her performance after she won was much better. I'm still glad she won, though. She's sweet.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Michael Wallace wrote:On the evening we picked our singer I got onto the Interwebs to see what price I could get for the UK to finish last, since our song struck me as such utterly bland garbage. I found 25/1 at PaddyPower, but I was drunk, so I thought better of sticking some £££ on.
:(
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Only turned on while Spain were doing their song a second time so missed this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdBLCT7b ... r_embedded
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Only country ever to perform their song twice on the night but didn't win?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

So why did Spain do it twice? I was watching in a room where I couldn't really hear the commentary, this puzzled me somewhat.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Someone's had the decency to post the flashmob project to youtube :D

Well worth a look if you missed it at the time 8-)
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote:So why did Spain do it twice? I was watching in a room where I couldn't really hear the commentary, this puzzled me somewhat.
Some randomer out of the audience gone done a stage invasion. It was really well done though, I (and everyone watching with me) thought he was part of the act. Until he was removed by the security people, that is. And given a good Norwegian kicking out the back (I may be surmising here). Still a shit song though.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:So why did Spain do it twice? I was watching in a room where I couldn't really hear the commentary, this puzzled me somewhat.
Some randomer out of the audience gone done a stage invasion. It was really well done though, I (and everyone watching with me) thought he was part of the act. Until he was removed by the security people, that is. And given a good Norwegian kicking out the back (I may be surmising here). Still a shit song though.
Ah cool! I never noticed the difference :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Ian Volante wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
Ah cool! I never noticed the difference :)
He was very good. He took part in the choreography and everything. Very professional.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Very enjoyable night. Denmark, Moldova, Germany. Ireland (3rd Last?!), Romania and a few others were good. I liked Armenia, and the song was good too.

Israel and Serbia were pure brutal.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Very enjoyable night. Denmark, Moldova, Germany. Ireland (3rd Last?!), Romania and a few others were good. I liked Armenia, and the song was good too.

Israel and Serbia were pure brutal.
Was Denmark the one that sounded like various other songs? If so, it was crap. I agreed with the winner - I actually quite liked the German one.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

The saxophone solo in Moldova's song was the catchiest thing in the whole contest.

I believe that for UK or Ireland to win they need to send famous acts such as Take That or Westlife or Robbie Williams. Germany and Turkey's acts have had top 10 hits in numerous countries, maNga have won an MTV award. (Turkey's act.)

Josh Dubovie came in at 75th in the charts yesterday, says it all.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:The saxophone solo in Moldova's song was the catchiest thing in the whole contest.

I believe that for UK or Ireland to win they need to send famous acts such as Take That or Westlife or Robbie Williams. Germany and Turkey's acts have had top 10 hits in numerous countries, maNga have won an MTV award. (Turkey's act.)

Josh Dubovie came in at 75th in the charts yesterday, says it all.
That saxophone solo is the stuff of nightmares. It has haunted me most of this week. I could have done without the thrusting.

Germany is no model for sending an established act to Eurovision. Lena had done nothing in music until she won the X-Factorish German selection programme. Her top ten hit across Europe is Satellite. Unlike us, many participants release their entries as singles well in advance of Eurovision.

Sending established acts, such as MaNga, does work, but having a good song and promoting it well is good too.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:The saxophone solo in Moldova's song was the catchiest thing in the whole contest.

I believe that for UK or Ireland to win they need to send famous acts such as Take That or Westlife or Robbie Williams.
You couldn't send Robbie Williams. What sort of contest would it be if all the British people are hoping that they lose?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:

I believe that for UK or Ireland to win they need to send famous acts such as Take That or Westlife or Robbie Williams.
You couldn't send Robbie Williams. What sort of contest would it be if all the British people are hoping that they lose?
Well they can't vote for whoever it is for starters. I'm not sure the a British dislike of one entrant would spoil the contest. And why would they? Robbie's a popular chap.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Wasn't it supposed to be an amateur songwriting contest?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Volante wrote:Well they can't vote for whoever it is for starters. I'm not sure the a British dislike of one entrant would spoil the contest. And why would they? Robbie's a popular chap.
Well he's probably got a few screaming rabid fans (although he's not so much in the limelight now), but most people I've spoken to on the subject (although it's probably not that many actually) seem to think he's an arrogant cunt. I know we couldn't vote for him, but most people would want to root for the UK act, not want him to get hit by a train on the way there!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

WTF? Eurovision is not a gameshow. It's a sport! A manly, manly sport :x
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Michael Wallace wrote:WTF? Eurovision is not a gameshow. It's a sport! A manly, manly sport :x
Yes, it is.
Robert Baxter
Acolyte

Post by Robert Baxter »

12 points to Belarus !?

WTF!? :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Next Time.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Contestant: Continent please, Rachel.
Rachel: Y.
Contestant: Because I want one!

For more info, see http://wiki.apterous.org/User:The_Doctor , and don't have a go at me a the F1 drivers series.

The 86th postingest forummer.

And I'm a :ugeek:.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Robert Baxter wrote:
... you'll post when the competition happens and not 4 months later?
Robert Baxter
Acolyte

Post by Robert Baxter »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Robert Baxter wrote:
I joined 3 months later
Contestant: Continent please, Rachel.
Rachel: Y.
Contestant: Because I want one!

For more info, see http://wiki.apterous.org/User:The_Doctor , and don't have a go at me a the F1 drivers series.

The 86th postingest forummer.

And I'm a :ugeek:.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Robert Baxter wrote:
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Robert Baxter wrote:Next Time.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I joined 3 months later
How many months later did you leave?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I finally got around to making this map, comparing telephone and jury voting positions. You can even read some inane comments about it on my blog if you like.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Michael Wallace wrote:I finally got around to making this map, comparing telephone and jury voting positions. You can even read some inane comments about it on my blog if you like.
While the map suggests a link between geography and televote performance is patchy at best, there seems to be a stronger link with the type of music. Up-tempo numbers, like that of France Serbia and Moldova seem to be more popular with televoters, while juries seem to prefer the ballady fayre of Israel, Belgium and Ireland.

Also, it might be better to look at the difference in points, rather than places. Germany was top with both jury and televote, but Lena's televote win was by a much bigger margin.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Martin Bishop wrote:Also, it might be better to look at the difference in points, rather than places. Germany was top with both jury and televote, but Lena's televote win was by a much bigger margin.
Yeah, there are advantages to both metrics, and I stuck with places because it was easier. If I was actually doing it at all properly (which is a bit pointless with only one year's data) I'd probably do it by points, but I'd want to think about it a bit more carefully first.

Edit: I've had a fiddle, and the fast/slow theory is looking like a pretty good one. I'm going to look at last year as well and then probably put something a bit more statistical together about it.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Bit late but I'm singing this in a school singing contest - mainly because it's something I can sing! I've learnt the words - good or bad?
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Bit late but I'm singing this in a school singing contest - mainly because it's something I can sing! I've learnt the words - good or bad?
Video please!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

^^^
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...