Inception, masterpiece or turkey.

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Inception, masterpiece or turkey.

Post by Marc Meakin »

I just watched Inception at the cinema recently and was blown away by it.
Everyone else that I know who has seen it either thought it was crap or fell asleep (ironic).
Just wondered if any forumites had seen it and wondered what they thought of it.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Inception, masterpiece or turkey.

Post by Matt Morrison »

Me and BC watched it t'other day - although differently to you, my Facebook news feed was full of people utterly raving about it, and slightly surprisingly (to me at least), t'were mainly girls who were loving it.
Enjoyed it much, though I didn't think it warranted the almost-10-out-of-10 rating it has on IMDB (9.2 ranks it as the #3 movie ever on the site).

I think it had a great level of smarts, and not even bothering to explain certain periphery aspects (they've got a machine that lets you into people's dreams? Ok, that's cool.) was quite refreshing. There were a few moments that left you confused, not in an "unanswered question" way, but more in a "hmm that was a bit incongruous" way but nothing too serious. Good story, great score. In a way I can see why some people think it should have been a little more far out than it actually turned out to be, but being a dumb unsciency fuck it suited me.

Still can't stand DiCaprio though, but not as much as I used to not stand him.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Matt Morrison wrote:Enjoyed it much, though I didn't think it warranted the almost-10-out-of-10 rating it has on IMDB (9.2 ranks it as the #3 movie ever on the site).
The IMDB top 250 has been a joke ever since The Dark Knight came out. Edit, now I think about it, ever since Lord of the Rings 3 came out.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Enjoyed it much, though I didn't think it warranted the almost-10-out-of-10 rating it has on IMDB (9.2 ranks it as the #3 movie ever on the site).
The IMDB top 250 has been a joke ever since The Dark Knight came out. Edit, now I think about it, ever since Lord of the Rings 3 came out.
Yeah, you can't really mention IMDB ratings without a big invisible caveat hanging over it, but aside from fanboy stuff (which to be fair Inception could clearly fit into), in general great films still get great ratings and shit ones still get shit ratings, I don't think it's nearly as bad as everyone likes to make out.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison wrote:Me and BC watched it t'other day - although differently to you, my Facebook news feed was full of people utterly raving about it, and slightly surprisingly (to me at least), t'were mainly girls who were loving it.
Enjoyed it much, though I didn't think it warranted the almost-10-out-of-10 rating it has on IMDB (9.2 ranks it as the #3 movie ever on the site).

I think it had a great level of smarts, and not even bothering to explain certain periphery aspects (they've got a machine that lets you into people's dreams? Ok, that's cool.) was quite refreshing. There were a few moments that left you confused, not in an "unanswered question" way, but more in a "hmm that was a bit incongruous" way but nothing too serious. Good story, great score. In a way I can see why some people think it should have been a little more far out than it actually turned out to be, but being a dumb unsciency fuck it suited me.

Still can't stand DiCaprio though, but not as much as I used to not stand him.
I agree about the score, although I am slightly biased as Johnny Marr is my favourie guitarist.
With regards to the score, check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVkQ0C4qDvM
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

It's 87% on Rotten Tomatoes.. Toy Story is currently 99%.. IMDB ratings always decline over time anyway.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Just found this, not sure if it clears anything up but you can't go wrong with a geeky infographic, can you?

Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

That is an awesomesauce infographic. NICE POINT too
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

P.S. Spoilers and all that.