Spoilers For Tuesday July 20th 2010

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Tuesday July 20th 2010

Post by James Robinson »

We enter the 20th day of the 7th month, and we might be closing in on our 2nd octochamp of the series with Richard Harris seeming to be unstoppable at the moment.

Can he make it 6 out of 6 today :?:

Find out with Ryan/Dinos/Oliver (delete as applicable) later. ;) :) :D
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers For Tuesday July 20th 2010

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

DC beater in ACUITY / DAMMIT round:

CADMIUM
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Not been here for ages!
1st numbers - (29 x 16) - 6
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

(5x6) - 1 = 29 x
4 x 4
shoul've said first! :oops:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

For the second numbers I did:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Anyone thing he said CATERWAULER? (I may have been imagining it because it's what I was thinking...)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:Anyone thing he said CATERWAULER? (I may have been imagining it because it's what I was thinking...)
Sounded like CATERWAUL to me though. He does have a very slight speech impediment (for want of a better term for "some of his words come out a bit lispy") I guess, but leave him alone you racist.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Anyone thing he said CATERWAULER? (I may have been imagining it because it's what I was thinking...)
Sounded like CATERWAUL to me though. He does have a very slight speech impediment (for want of a better term for "some of his words come out a bit lispy") I guess, but leave him alone you racist.
Haha, yeah. I was thinking CATAWAULER (because I can't spell) and was trying to count the As (I'm a bit drunk) so was a bit distracted. Also I'm racist against brass bands.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:Also I'm racist against brass bands.
These fuckers must incense you:

EDIT: Sorry, misread your message.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Really enjoyed today's game. I wasn't expecting much from the challenger just on first impressions alone and he was soon trailing. Then came the numbers game and showed his maths was good. And an impressive 9 spot to take the lead. Game on. He also chooses 6 small and nails it after the time showing RR how it was done. Then the final numbers game was the best round of the series for me. There was immense pressure on Richard with that (trailing by 4 points he simply couldn't slip up here). When he declares 1 away you are thinking awesome he's managed it and then the drama of making the mistake meaning that if gets his 2 away he seals victory before the conundrum. Then the conundrum itself was an impressive spot from Richard but sadly wasn't enough. Seeing Richard scratching his head in those numbers games was good TV for me and I mean that in a good way. I also liked how he composed himself at the end and would like to see Richard return for the finals (early days I know). Can't see 5 wins being enough though :cry:

Perhaps I am too excitable, but for me that was the best game of series 63 so far.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Not many editions of Countdown have all three number games being six small numbers......
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Really enjoyed today's game. I wasn't expecting much from the challenger just on first impressions alone and he was soon trailing. Then came the numbers game and showed his maths was good. And an impressive 9 spot to take the lead. Game on. He also chooses 6 small and nails it after the time showing RR how it was done. Then the final numbers game was the best round of the series for me. There was immense pressure on Richard with that (trailing by 4 points he simply couldn't slip up here). When he declares 1 away you are thinking awesome he's managed it and then the drama of making the mistake meaning that if gets his 2 away he seals victory before the conundrum. Then the conundrum itself was an impressive spot from Richard but sadly wasn't enough. Seeing Richard scratching his head in those numbers games was good TV for me and I mean that in a good way. I also liked how he composed himself at the end and would like to see Richard return for the finals (early days I know). Can't see 5 wins being enough though :cry:

Perhaps I am too excitable, but for me that was the best game of series 63 so far.
Given the high turnover so far its not impossible for 5 wins to make the cut with his average of 89 points per game.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Ryan Taylor wrote: Can't see 5 wins being enough though :cry:
Well, it was enough in 59 and 60 without needing to do a score tiebreak, and a good enough score did it in 61, so I wouldn't rule it out.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Really enjoyed today's game, I wanted Richard to get the last numbers to force a tie-break but no. It was funny at how shocked David (I think that was his name) was to get the 9. Great game.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

First show I've caught in a while, was a good 'un. Thought the first two numbers games worked out quite nicely if you simply multiply a few numbers to get in the right ballpark and work from there using factors. Always difficult to spot a 9 when there's no obvious 8s of course. The ANTIMERES^ round I guess was where Richard would be kicking himself the most, a few 8s there and that would have took the pressure off the later numbers.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jordan F wrote:
Well, it was enough in 59 and 60 without needing to do a score tiebreak, and a good enough score did it in 61, so I wouldn't rule it out.
I was just thinking about all the apto-talent that is gonna be in this series.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Jordan F wrote:
I was just thinking about all the apto-talent that is gonna be in this series.
Citation needed
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

A good episode. Did anyone notice Rachel had written 7+1 = 11 on the board. Oops.