Apterous World Cup - Knockout Stage

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Re: Apterous World Cup - Knockout Stage

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

England weren't quite good enough for the consistent Italians but enjoyed one of their best runs in a tournament for quite a while.
The manager would like to thank FIAC (Football International Association Countdown) president Matthieu Morrisoni for organising a spectacular tournament.

David Beckham was sent home in disgrace by his manager for punching the referee and shouting "Vitae is a word." Quite how he knows how to say the word surpassed the manager.

No egos were shattered in the defeat of the team, don't worry, England will win Apterous Euro 2012.
Last edited by Eoin Monaghan on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Hugh, when suits?
Saturday (any time) or Monday evening (after 8) would be best.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Hugh Binnie wrote:
Eoin Monaghan wrote:Hugh, when suits?
Saturday or Monday would be best.
Okay, Saturday evenings after 6 is probably when I am most likely to be on.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Hugh Binnie wrote: Before the match, Kevin Keegan was heard to exclaim, "This one could go either way, or vice versa."
Love it. Just love it.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Big and necessary update done after being away at the inaugural and excellent CoSheff for the weekend.

Just the 3rd place playoff to be played (feel free to do it any time, although if you can post any advance warning in here, that'd be nice) and then a time can be arranged for the final, with minimum 24 hours of advance warning preferably so that as many spectators can watch this potentially magnificent match pan out.

And remember:
Some people think apterous is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Matt Morrison wrote: and then a time can be arranged for the final, with minimum 24 hours of advance warning preferably so that as many spectators can watch this potentially magnificent match pan out.
Don't you read people's game reports? :(

Final is going to played Tuesday 29th June at 7pm.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

I'm away most of tomorrow and Wednesday so we may have to wait until after the final.
Edward McCullagh
Series 64 Champion

Post by Edward McCullagh »

KIRKINHO BREAKS ITALIAN HEARTS WITH PERFECT PERFORMANCE

Kirkinho's Samba Warriors were victorious in the final of the inaugural Apterous World Cup with a stunning performance in front of four hardy souls at Fucoid Field this evening.

One magic moment of counter-attacking Countdowning separated the sides at the final whistle, as 6 small proved too much for the under-pressure Italian rearguard.

Kirkinho left the stadium straight after the final whistle - not before offering a few words of consolation to crestfallen Eduardo Mccullardo - without accepting his winners medal leading to rumours that he may have went off down the pub.

Mccullardo complained about the lack of video technology, which he claimed affected the result, and threw his loser's medal to the ground in disgust shortly after receiving it. He then went off on a foul-mouthed four-letter-word tirade at any journalist stupid enough to approach him.

This one-sided match-up brought to an end a very successful tournament for FIAC president Mathieu Morisani, and one we hope is even better in four years time!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Am I alone in thinking it a bit annoying that neither of the finalists tarted up their avatars accordingly?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ben Wilson wrote:Am I alone in thinking it a bit annoying that neither of the finalists tarted up their avatars accordingly?
No. I also think they should be disqualified, and the winner declared as whoever has the coolest flag. Which is clearly me. (If you disagree, then you are racist against Ghana and raccoons.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Just to reiterate what I've said in private, I was absolutely stoked about this tournament, and really enjoyed the novelty of it all. I only wish I could've stayed longer. Amazing work by Matt.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Am I alone in thinking it a bit annoying that neither of the finalists tarted up their avatars accordingly?
No. I also think they should be disqualified, and the winner declared as whoever has the coolest flag. Which is clearly me. (If you disagree, then you are racist against Ghana and raccoons.)
No way! It should go to the person who was first to change their avatar to their country's flag. Which just so happens to be me!!

And well done Kirk!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:Just to reiterate what I've said in private, I was absolutely stoked about this tournament, and really enjoyed the novelty of it all. I only wish I could've stayed longer. Amazing work by Matt.
Agreed. In addition to Matt's efforts, I also enjoyed those that put a lot into their match write-ups. Quality stuff, dead jealous not to have been involved.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Have to agree with the above as well, it was great to see a fresh idea take off so well and the atmosphere was great fun, even for someone as un-football-inclined as me. Cheers for all the effort you put into it Matt, and congrats to Kirk.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Yeah Matt awesome job on this whole thing, the amount of work you put in and everything. But I should have won because I BOUGHT FACE PAINT!!! Incidentally my Uruguay flag is now up outside my house and I'll be cheering them on against the Ghanaians.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Incidentally my Uruguay flag is now up outside my house
pix please
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Incidentally my Uruguay flag is now up outside my house
pix please
Ha I'll facebook upload tomorrow! I'm not putting on the face paint AGAIN - that's too far.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:Just to reiterate what I've said in private, I was absolutely stoked about this tournament, and really enjoyed the novelty of it all. I only wish I could've stayed longer. Amazing work by Matt.
Yeah, thanks Matt for a great tournament and thanks to Charlie who added the apterous world cup as a customised game so it was really easy to play.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

EOINGERLAND BOW OUT IN 3RD PLACE

England - 5 - 4 - Serbia http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?key=519675023247617709

After the brilliant performance from Kirkinho on Tuesday, this delayed match was not as big a spectacle as many competitors had cleared off and forgot there was one game left to play. Played in front of a packed crowd of 0, this 3rd/4th place match between Serbia's Hugh Binnic and England's Sir. Owen Monaghanson - Tottington was a close fought affair.
England started the better, with David Beckham (in his words) collecting a WIDEOUT ball and scoring. Serbia levelled it off later. Knowing the English' weak spot, they attacked this and got a goal from it. After the break England were asleep and Serbia took the lead, with the manager throwing his SARNIE in the air in delight and Sir.Owen contemplating the English' lacklustre AIRERS.
However, nobody was to expect what was to come next, after some drab build-up play, a brilliant finish from England left the Serbian's gobsmacked. They never fully recovered and England took a lead, capitalising on the Serbian's IMPAIRed thought.
A simple finish completed one of England's greatest World Cup achievements.

After the game, Mark Lawrenson said "It was a game of two halfs, the first was even, the second was England's and the third was boring." We think he was overcome with shock at the success.

Sir.Owen would like to thank Mathieu Morisani for an amazing tournament and Mr.Reams for making it happen.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Great stuff all. Really enjoyed organising it, and how much everyone seemed to have fun. Was cool to fiddle with a new interesting format too.
Thanks to everyone for taking part, and much appreciate the kind thanks messages of your own. :)
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

When can we expect to see the inaugural Apterous Premier League? This just seems too good a format to waste .
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Liam Tiernan wrote:When can we expect to see the inaugural Apterous Premier League? This just seems too good a format to waste .
That's a lot of fixtures, and a long time to keep it organised. I don't think it would ever work.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Liam Tiernan wrote:When can we expect to see the inaugural Apterous Premier League? This just seems too good a format to waste .
That's a lot of fixtures, and a long time to keep it organised. I don't think it would ever work.
Not as many fixtures as an Apterous League One.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Maybe Apterous Champions league is more realistic.
Although I do hopes someone runs with my idea for an Apterous Ryder Cup.( probably England v RotW though, unless Charlie is still an honourary Yank)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

A league has been tried many times before. I don't think a single season has ever been finished.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Charlie Reams wrote:A league has been tried many times before. I don't think a single season has ever been finished.
What are you talking about? I've been winning the Countdown League (mostly by default) for years.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Matt Morrison wrote: That's a lot of fixtures, and a long time to keep it organised. I don't think it would ever work.
If it's like the premier league in darts (I hate to mention darts again but I'll await the Corby piss-take) then they take the top 6 in the rankings and then 2 really good players who can compete with the top 6 on TV but also have some character, e.g. good walk-ons, dancing on stage etc. You could just do the top 8 apterites playing each other twice. Best of 4. If it's 2-2 it's a draw and you get 1 point. If it's 3-1 or 4-0 you get 3 points. If you lose, 0. That could be a good way but not sure how fun that would be for spectators.

After everyone has played each other twice the top 4 on points go through to the semi finals, #1 vs #4, #2 vs #3 and then a final.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:Great stuff all. Really enjoyed organising it, and how much everyone seemed to have fun. Was cool to fiddle with a new interesting format too.
Thanks to everyone for taking part, and much appreciate the kind thanks messages of your own. :)
May I also offer my congratulations too, Matt.

A very good format, and glad to make the quarters as the Netherlands, and losing to Kirkinho is no disgrace, although hopefully the real Netherlands will beat the real Brazil later on. :D :lol:
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: That's a lot of fixtures, and a long time to keep it organised. I don't think it would ever work.
If it's like the premier league in darts (I hate to mention darts again but I'll await the Corby piss-take) then they take the top 6 in the rankings and then 2 really good players who can compete with the top 6 on TV but also have some character, e.g. good walk-ons, dancing on stage etc. You could just do the top 8 apterites playing each other twice. Best of 4. If it's 2-2 it's a draw and you get 1 point. If it's 3-1 or 4-0 you get 3 points. If you lose, 0. That could be a good way but not sure how fun that would be for spectators.
Shit is the answer you're looking for!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
If it's like the premier league in darts (I hate to mention darts again but I'll await the Corby piss-take)
Haha, reassuring to know you completely missed the point of that thread. Your tournament structure sounds okay though - can you alter the match scoring to make it more dartsy?
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Awards anyone?

Player of the Tournament? Would have to be Hugh Binnie.
Fair Play Award? (Best report)
Goal of the Tournament? (Best word)
Game of the Tournament?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Awards anyone?

Game of the Tournament?
+ golden boot
+ golden glove
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:

Game of the Tournament?
+ golden boot
+ golden glove
+ best flag :evil:
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:

Game of the Tournament?
+ golden boot
+ golden glove
+ best flag :evil:
+ best fan

Btw, I took me flag round the town last night! People were like "Argentina woooo" "Uruguay mate, get it right."
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Meant to add 'Best Fan' or 'Most Enthusiastic'.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

James Robinson wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Great stuff all. Really enjoyed organising it, and how much everyone seemed to have fun. Was cool to fiddle with a new interesting format too.
May I also offer my congratulations too, Matt.

A very good format, and glad to make the quarters as the Netherlands, and losing to Kirkinho is no disgrace, although hopefully the real Netherlands will beat the real Brazil later on. :D :lol:
GET IN NETHERLANDS :!: :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Can we have awards polls?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Can we have awards polls?
Well, for Best Goal (best word), that would take a lot of reading through reports that I wouldn't want to do myself - I'd have to ask you, Ryan, all the people who have been paying attention, for suggestions to shortlist via PM. Similar for nominations of Best Game. If people care enough about your suggestion to send me some ideas for those two, then yeah I don't mind making some nice polls. I can easily shortlist a handful of match reports for the Fair Play award, and players for the Player of the Tournament award, myself.

Best Flag is won by Michael and Best Fan by Ryan (both shoe-ins) and anyone who gets round to doing some stats before I bother can publicly announce the Golden Boot winner, the top scorer (presumably average score per game, not including extra time or penalties).

Maybe I'll get round to doing some new mashup images as 'prizes'.