Spoilers For Wednesday April 14th 2010

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Wednesday April 14th 2010

Post by James Robinson »

So, unfortunately, Peter didn't become an octochamp yesterday, leaving him in the #3 seed position (not #2 as Jeff said, but the gap between Peter and Dave is 1 point, so I'll let him off (although based on yesterday's comments, I think only stat geeks like me will give a damn)), so that should definitely see him back in the finals, unless something dramatic happens in the next couple of months.

The new champ is Claudia Tyson, who put in a very good performance yesterday, but can she keep it up today, or will she suffer a knockout blow :?:
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Spoilers For Wednesday April 14th 2010

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote:So, unfortunately, Peter didn't become an octochamp yesterday, leaving him in the #3 seed position (not #2 as Jeff said, but the gap between Peter and Dave is 1 point, so I'll let him off (although based on yesterday's comments, I think only stat geeks like me will give a damn)), so that should definitely see him back in the finals, unless something dramatic happens in the next couple of months.

The new champ is Claudia Tyson, who put in a very good performance yesterday, but can she keep it up today, or will she suffer a knockout blow :?:
I think it may be because of the extra 10 points from the conundrum being erroneously added.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I think it may be because of the extra 10 points from the conundrum being erroneously added.
I thought that, then I checked the Wiki and saw that Howard had put a message saying that the "tie-break conundrum" rule may have been altered, so I'm not sure who is right :? :?:

Some clarity from a reliable source would be most welcome. ;) :) :D 8-)
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Entirely my fault, i gave Jeff the wrong info. Had stupidly forgotten to update the leaderboard, so Dave Wilkinson wasn't on there at all. The points for tied conundrums never get counted, we only take the 15 rd total, otherwise its unfair on the rest. So in a nutshell, you're both wrong, as i was. :mrgreen: 8-) :o :roll: :!:
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

Missed round 1, what was the selection?
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Alt. first numbers: ((25x5)-10)x3 +1= 346
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Missed round 10 as some woman knocked on the door and just stared at me for 5 seconds before introducing her name and talking slowly. I thought "ffs hurry up, Countdown's on, if this is some religious thing I'll be super pissed off" and she said she used to live here in 1952 and she wanted to come in. She went into all our bedrooms and stormed about the house and stood dead still in the living room trying to cry. She then started shouting at me, ranting about why I wasn't teaching. She kept saying her name and shaking her hand.

The weirdest experience ever and the weirdest lady I've ever come across.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Missed round 10 as some woman knocked on the door and just stared at me for 5 seconds before introducing her name and talking slowly. I thought "ffs hurry up, Countdown's on, if this is some religious thing I'll be super pissed off" and she said she used to live here in 1952 and she wanted to come in. She went into all our bedrooms and stormed about the house and stood dead still in the living room trying to cry. She then started shouting at me, ranting about why I wasn't teaching. She kept saying her name and shaking her hand.

Brilliant! :mrgreen:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Brilliant Kirk. A-lol, best spoiler thread ever now etc. How did you get rid of her?
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Never let a strange woman into your bedroom, you'll end up marrying her. :mrgreen:
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

CUNTALERT would have been a better scramble, clearly more broadcastable than the one used too.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Josh Hurst wrote:CUNTALERT would have been a better scramble, clearly more broadcastable than the one used too.
sorry, that was my post, was logged in as josh when I posted it. (just incase anyone is easily offended, they know to hate me now and not josh)
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Felt bad for the bloke when he went for 'theramin', it's a nice word, just spelled wrong. Both contestants were of high quality.
Kirk Bevins wrote:Missed round 10 as some woman knocked on the door and just stared at me for 5 seconds before introducing her name and talking slowly. I thought "ffs hurry up, Countdown's on, if this is some religious thing I'll be super pissed off" and she said she used to live here in 1952 and she wanted to come in. She went into all our bedrooms and stormed about the house and stood dead still in the living room trying to cry. She then started shouting at me, ranting about why I wasn't teaching. She kept saying her name and shaking her hand.

Fucking lol.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

All that and just one round missed. That's pretty good going.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Josh Hurst wrote:Missed round 1, what was the selection?
VPIOINSRA

EPITAPHS in round 2, OUTGONE in round 3 and COMRADES in round 9.

2nd Numbers Alt.: ((9 x 8) + (7 x 3)) x 5 = 465

Did anyone else also notice that the clock was already reset after they got the conundrum answer from the woman in the audience :?:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Hunter wrote:Felt bad for the bloke when he went for 'theramin', it's a nice word, just spelled wrong.
What - PHEROMONE? :D
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thank God for breaks.

I got rid of her as when we went downstairs, I went first so when I got to the bottom I opened the door and kind of looked outside to give her a hint. It was at this point she started ranting and walking away rapidly before turning and walking towards me quickly and continuing to shake my hand and saying her name. Odd. I locked all the doors after that - freaky.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:Felt bad for the bloke when he went for 'theramin', it's a nice word, just spelled wrong.
Theremin. Expected Susie to clear it up but I guess she didn't know the word either.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thank God for breaks.

I got rid of her as when we went downstairs, I went first so when I got to the bottom I opened the door and kind of looked outside to give her a hint. It was at this point she started ranting and walking away rapidly before turning and walking towards me quickly and continuing to shake my hand and saying her name. Odd. I locked all the doors after that - freaky.
Wow, that sounds like the opening scene from a horror movie.
Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Theremin. Expected Susie to clear it up but I guess she didn't know the word either.

I made the exact same mistake. It's tough, because it's the sort of word that you hear (mainly due to Bill Bailey), but rarely see written down.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Martin Bishop wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Theremin. Expected Susie to clear it up but I guess she didn't know the word either.

I made the exact same mistake. It's tough, because it's the sort of word that you hear (mainly due to Bill Bailey), but rarely see written down.
I learnt it from an episode of The Simpsons, where there's noises coming from the attic and creepy music plays while Homer goes to investigate, and finds Artie Ziff playing his theremin. (I'm in the habit of watching pretty much everything with subtitles)
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Just came back to this thread to like Kirks post. I think others should do as I have.