Spoilers For Monday March 8th 2010

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday March 8th 2010

Post by James Robinson »

We have now reached week 9 of Series 62. Not too far away from the halfway point in this series, and still we wait for our 2nd octochamp of the series. :roll:

Will it be new champ Jamie Ellwood or maybe even today's challenger, who I believe is Apteforumite Kevin Davis, or the Pride of Bucks, as his avatar would seem to suggest. :lol:

Back in DC for the first time in nearly a year and a half, is everyone's favourite Westcountry poet, Pam Ayres. Having said that, can anyone name another good Westcountry poet, preferably one who is still alive :?:

Still, who will emerge triumphant today, find out later on.... 8-)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Re: Spoilers For Monday March 8th 2010

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I thought Friday's final scoreline was rather flattering towards both players as they matched each other in a mediocre fashion in most letters rounds and the numbers rounds were the easiest I've seen since... ever! Doubt Jamie will reach the heights he did on Friday and we'll have another new champ soon, hopefully a fit bird.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

With Pam's return, by my calculation there are just 12 pre-Stelling/Riley regulars who have not yet reappeared. I'm defining regular to mean having recorded more than one stint during Series 56-59 inclusive. They are, in decreasing order of pre-S60 frequency:

5 Keith Barron
4 Ann Widdecombe, Rick Wakeman
3 Barry Norman, Dennis Taylor, Ken Bruce, Martin Jarvis, Ricky Tomlinson, Tom O'Conner
2 Henry Blofeld, Lynda Baron, Trudie Goodwin

Some of those I'll be pleased never to see again, whilst others I'd have much preferred to have seen back before Ms Ayres.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

for dictionary corner
Clive Brooker wrote:... .....
5 Keith Barron
3 Barry Norman, Dennis Taylor, Ken Bruce, Martin Jarvis, Ricky Tomlinson, Tom O'Conner

Some of those I'll be pleased never to see again, whilst others I'd have much preferred to have seen back before Ms Ayres.

Agree
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Clive Brooker wrote:With Pam's return, by my calculation there are just 12 pre-Stelling/Riley regulars who have not yet reappeared. I'm defining regular to mean having recorded more than one stint during Series 56-59 inclusive. They are, in decreasing order of pre-S60 frequency:

5 Keith Barron

I actually wonder how many, if any, of those will ever come back.

I doubt Rick Wakeman will return, based on what he said after Carol's departure. I seem to recall Ken Bruce saying on his radio show, that he was hoping to be back on soon. Of the others, I'm not sure, but I'd be quite happy to see just about all of them.

I was thinking of a doing a poll about which guest(s) who haven't been on for a long time people would like to see return to DC, but just haven't got round to it yet.
Kevin Davis
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Davis »

James Robinson wrote:We have now reached week 9 of Series 62. Not too far away from the halfway point in this series, and still we wait for our 2nd octochamp of the series. :roll:

Will it be new champ Jamie Ellwood or maybe even today's challenger, who I believe is Apteforumite Kevin Davis, or the Pride of Bucks, as his avatar would seem to suggest. :lol:

Back in DC for the first time in nearly a year and a half, is everyone's favourite Westcountry poet, Pam Ayres. Having said that, can anyone name another good Westcountry poet, preferably one who is still alive :?:

Still, who will emerge triumphant today, find out later on.... 8-)
He is, indeed, me. And it's the MK civic crest on my avatar, I'm proclaiming Milton Keynes as the Pride of Bucks.

No sniggering at the back on that last comment.
Oh, cackwires!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

NTBAEIKRD came up on Friday. The consonants surrounding this round are in a similar order as well. :shock:
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

THOMAS HARDY!!11!
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

AEROFOIL, round 13.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Chris Davies wrote:AEROFOIL, round 13.
Nice one, thought there was something in that round but I couldn't see beyond a FLOOZIE.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Clive Brooker wrote:With Pam's return, by my calculation there are just 12 pre-Stelling/Riley regulars who have not yet reappeared. I'm defining regular to mean having recorded more than one stint during Series 56-59 inclusive. They are, in decreasing order of pre-S60 frequency:

5 Keith Barron

Was Martin Jarvis really only on three times?
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Ditto, wasn''t too sure about validity tho.

VARIETALS was a good spot from dc, only had VARIATES and SALIVATE.

I like Pams poem, she's definitely one of my favourite DC guests from the older generation.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

JackHurst wrote:
Ditto, wasn''t too sure about validity tho.

VARIETALS was a good spot from dc, only had VARIATES and SALIVATE.

I like Pams poem, she's definitely one of my favourite DC guests from the older generation.
I had TRAVAILS
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Howard Somerset wrote:Was Martin Jarvis really only on three times?
Well spotted. It's three times during Series 56-59 inclusive. About 30 times in total according to TCDP.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Did Gillingham go down as you predicted at the weekend James?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Howard Somerset wrote:

5 Keith Barron

Was Martin Jarvis really only on three times?
I was unlucky enough to be on twice with him :(

Luckily Barry Cryer was on the following week, or I may have lost on purpose.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

James Robinson wrote:Back in DC for the first time in nearly a year and a half, is everyone's favourite Westcountry poet, Pam Ayres. Having said that, can anyone name another good Westcountry poet, preferably one who is still alive :?:
Hmm, I'd never thought of the area between Swindon and Reading (Pam Ayres was born in Stanford-in-the Vale) as being in the West Country. Or is her having a rustic accent enough qualification for this designation?

Still, the closest I can get to well-known West Country poets are Ted Hughes, who lived in Devon for over 30 years (and is buried there), and John Betjeman, who had a home in Cornwall, where he is buried (in Cornwall, not in his home.) Maybe Westcountry people just use normal words in normal sentences rather than this poncey poetry stuff
which often
pretends
to say something
more profound
than prose
but
usually
doesn't.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Recap up tomorrow hopefully. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: :? :lol:
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Douglas Wilson wrote:Did Gillingham go down as you predicted at the weekend James?
Yes, unfortunately we went down further. :x
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

STIPEND in one of the early rounds
Kevin Davis
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Davis »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:STIPEND in one of the early rounds
That would be round...(checks)...seven.