Alastair Stewart

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Alastair Stewart

Post by Gavin Chipper »

He's awful! His terrible joke about punishing people by train journeys and all of his comments throughout the programme made me want to kill him! He should try his routine as a stand-up and see what reaction he gets.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Alastair Stewart

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Shit. I meant for this to go in the main forum. Oh well.
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Sorted.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

God he's tedious. Yes Alastair TILE+S = TILES. Bravo! My 8 year old brother could have told me that!
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Agreed - just like the other newsreader who regularly appears in DC (Nicholas Owen), Alistair seems to like the sound of his own voice a lot, and is pretty condescending towards both Susie and the audience...

Interesting Gevin saying he should try being a stand-up, since I think the last three weeks in a row have had stand-ups or former stand-ups as the guest - although I like Richard Digance and Tom O'Connor, I find their humour a bit reactionary at times; and I thought Ricky Tomlinson was awful, I could almost feel Susie inwardly cringing as he belted out his stories about people chucking ashtrays at each other in pubs... so I thought Alistair Stewart might be a nice change; but no, he was rubbish in a different way...
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I have to disagree, Alastair is by far the nicest of any of the celebrities I have ever met and rather than being condescending he takes a genuine interest in people.
Benji Hanks
Rookie

Post by Benji Hanks »

David O'Donnell wrote:I have to disagree, Alastair is by far the nicest of any of the celebrities I have ever met and rather than being condescending he takes a genuine interest in people.
quoted for truth
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

David O'Donnell wrote:I have to disagree, Alastair is by far the nicest of any of the celebrities I have ever met and rather than being condescending he takes a genuine interest in people.

Sh*t?! The boy will be saying he loves Martin Jarvis next!!!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Let me catch up a bit here - we've basically ascertained that Doddy dislikes Des O'Connor, Carol Vorderman, Susie Dent, Alison Heard, Trudie Goodwin, Richard Digance and Dr Phil Hammond, and finds them all condescending, right?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

to be honest, he (the dude who's on at the moment, this Alastair chap?) seems alright - he's suitably inoffensive, at least, although admittedly I've mostly given up paying any attention to what they talk about before the first ad break, so for someone to be inoffensive to me they basically just have to not interfere round-by-round (i.e. be Jo Brand)
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

Julian wrote:I thought Ricky Tomlinson was awful.
I agree with this. I've never really 'got' what's so funny about him or The Royle Family, but last week he just seemed quite limp.

Alastair Stewart isn't that bad. Of course, yes, he has that sort of posh, snide, Cromwellian pomposity to him, but he's an interesting enough character to have on for a week in my opinion.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Cromwellian pomposity............

Have you been undercooking those mushrooms again?
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

It's highly possible.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:God he's tedious. Yes Alastair TILE+S = TILES. Bravo! My 8 year old brother could have told me that!
How about today when he mentioned Blockbusters asking for a PEA and then saying he was going NUTS, just to arrive at the word PEANUTS :roll:
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Richard Brittain wrote:
Julian wrote:I thought Ricky Tomlinson was awful.

Alastair Stewart isn't that bad. Of course, yes, he has that sort of posh, snide, Cromwellian pomposity to him, but he's an interesting enough character to have on for a week in my opinion.
Agree. I thought Alastair was ok. At least he went and shook hands with the contestants beforehand and said a few words. From personal experience give me him over Ann Widdecombe any day.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Yeah ok maybe I spoke a bit too soon - Alistair seemed a lot more bearable today, and I'll defer to the contestants who've actually met him!
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

I must say, I am growing more fond of Alastair Stewart with every appearance. Supplies some interesting anecdotes, appears to be richly knowledgable about various things and shows a genuine interest in the game. He isn't really snide or pompous at all, but just looks and sounds as though he should be. :?