Masters Snooker

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Masters Snooker

Post by Matt Morrison »

It's been really fucking good.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Masters Snooker

Post by Charlie Reams »

True that. A mixture of that and this have got me through what could easily have been a fairly miserable week.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

What happened with Williams-O'Sullivan? I missed it yesterday but heard Virgo say it was one of the best matches he's ever seen.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Matthew Green wrote:What happened with Williams-O'Sullivan? I missed it yesterday but heard Virgo say it was one of the best matches he's ever seen.
It was excellent, mainly because whenever it seemed one player looked to be getting the upper hand, the other player did something pretty amazing and it all changed again. Plus the final frame was really exciting. But I think a lot of the Virgo hyperbole was to do with Mark Williams not being shit, he's been in the doldrums for a few years now and it was good to see him back to something like his best.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Aye, stunning final, although it has to be said that anyone but Ronnie O'Faceache would have won it in the 18th instead of going for an absurd cut. Wish I'd seen more!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote:Aye, stunning final, although it has to be said that anyone but Ronnie O'Faceache would have won it in the 18th instead of going for an absurd cut. Wish I'd seen more!
One of the best finals I've seen in ages, but I'm not sure the cut was so absurd really - the shot was there to effectively win the match at that visit and I think he had to take it on. It wasn't a million miles away from the one Steve Davis missed on the brown (or maybe it was the green, I forget) in the final frame against Dennis Taylor in the 1985 world final, and Steve wasn't exactly known for his risk-taking.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Aye, stunning final, although it has to be said that anyone but Ronnie O'Faceache would have won it in the 18th instead of going for an absurd cut. Wish I'd seen more!
One of the best finals I've seen in ages, but I'm not sure the cut was so absurd really - the shot was there to effectively win the match at that visit and I think he had to take it on. It wasn't a million miles away from the one Steve Davis missed on the brown (or maybe it was the green, I forget) in the final frame against Dennis Taylor in the 1985 world final, and Steve wasn't exactly known for his risk-taking.
Hmm, that was just an easyish shot under pressure!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
Hmm, that was just an easyish shot under pressure!
Yeah, you're probably right. I was a bit pissed (for yesterday's one, not the 1985 one - I'm not that debauched) so probably misjudged the angle or summat. But I still think it was the right shot to take, even though in hindsight it wasn't.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

Fantastic tournament, great final, and a wonderful innovation with the walk-on music (I wouldn't want that kind of razzmatazz at the World Championship though). The difficulty of the tables, reducing the chance of shots which aren't perfect from going in, surely added to the drama and challenge - something for organisers to take note on.

Barry Hearn and his team really have something to build on now - a planned new event in Germany in February 2011 is hopefully only the beginning. Hopefully the future will bring more ranking events with varied formats and an improvement in the general presentation and promotion of the game. It's stagnated under the incompetant Rodney Walker and his cronies for too long.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

There was an interview with Barry Hearn in one of the mid-session intervals which really impressed me. One thing he said is that all the tournaments look the same, and it would be cool if they were more visually differentiated. I'm not sure how you do that exactly, given that most of the screen is filled with green baize, but he'll think of something.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Charlie Reams wrote:There was an interview with Barry Hearn in one of the mid-session intervals which really impressed me. One thing he said is that all the tournaments look the same, and it would be cool if they were more visually differentiated. I'm not sure how you do that exactly, given that most of the screen is filled with green baize, but he'll think of something.
They should have different coloured tables for different tournaments. Like how they jazzed up bowls.

The thought takes me back to playing some PC pool game I had as a kid, and being really excited about being able to change the table colour to tan, or cyan. Good times.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote: The thought takes me back to playing some PC pool game I had as a kid, and being really excited about being able to change the table colour to tan, or cyan. Good times.
TMI DUDE!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Martin Smith wrote:Fantastic tournament, great final, and a wonderful innovation with the walk-on music (I wouldn't want that kind of razzmatazz at the World Championship though). The difficulty of the tables, reducing the chance of shots which aren't perfect from going in, surely added to the drama and challenge - something for organisers to take note on.

Barry Hearn and his team really have something to build on now - a planned new event in Germany in February 2011 is hopefully only the beginning. Hopefully the future will bring more ranking events with varied formats and an improvement in the general presentation and promotion of the game. It's stagnated under the incompetant Rodney Walker and his cronies for too long.
Aye, it would be nice to have a proper world tour equivalent to snooker or tennis.