Tim Minchin

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Tim Minchin

Post by Lesley Hines »

I was lucky enough to get (i.e. bought) tickets to see Tim Minchin recently at Symphony Hall. I know a few of you enjoy his work and I've already dropped in a couple of links to his work already, but I thought it worth collating some of his new material here for you to enjoy.

The highlight for me was the 9-minute beat poem "Storm" - the performance is worth a look, or there's the equally enjoyable text version for maximum effect.

His opening number was a well thought-out ditty called "Taboo". It's about racism and stereotypes and had particular resonance for me.

To open the second act he was championing his new-found cause with "Bears Don't Dig On Dancing", ably assisted by unwitting audience member Ferenc in a bear suit.

He wrote the well-balanced and reasonable tune "Song for Phil Daoust" in response to a review of his work by the journalist. It's good to see the therapy discussed in his earlier poem "Angry" was useful.

There was the upbeat "Confessions in Three Parts" that warranted encores later on, and the thoughtful and sincere (if ever so slightly twee, for him) "White Wine in the Sun".

He also performed old favourites "Canvas Bags" (the sell-out!) and Dark Side, but I haven't linked these as they're currently being screened on E4 as part of his "So Fuckin' Rock" tour. If you want to hear them they're nothing an instructive 10 minutes on youtube won't sort out. While you're there if you're new to the man "Rock 'n' Roll Nerd" and "Peace Anthem For Palestine" are also worth a listen.

Hope you enjoy.
Last edited by Lesley Hines on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Re: Tim Minchin

Post by Sue Sanders »

Hmmm. I've also been lucky enough to see Tim Minchin twice, in the nice intimate surroundings of a 300 seat theatre and as I was ushering - got paid to see him to boot. But as ushers we were asked to keep a very sharp look out for anyone videoing the show - because like many comedians, Tim faces the problem of audiences feeling the show didn't contain any new stuff cos they'd already seen it on the internet. I'm a big fan of live comedy and when people say they don't think much of a comedian - I think more of that person's opinion if they've taken the trouble to go to a live gig. Seeing it on a grainy bit of youtube footage is not the best way to judge (and enjoy) a comedian's work.

Not a dig at you, Lesley, but just a little bug bear of mine (cut to goat(down) thread!!)
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Sue Sanders wrote:But as ushers we were asked to keep a very sharp look out for anyone videoing the show - because like many comedians, Tim faces the problem of audiences feeling the show didn't contain any new stuff cos they'd already seen it on the internet.
I would never have gone to see him live if I hadn't already checked out some of his stuff on YouTube.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:But as ushers we were asked to keep a very sharp look out for anyone videoing the show - because like many comedians, Tim faces the problem of audiences feeling the show didn't contain any new stuff cos they'd already seen it on the internet.
I would never have gone to see him live if I hadn't already checked out some of his stuff on YouTube.
That is true, although that excuse has also been used to justify illegal music downloads
I'm just playing devils avocado though
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Charlie Reams wrote:
And no amount of videos will ever provide the same exhilaration as actually being there. It's the same with football. I can watch hours of it on TV but I still get a buzz from being there in the flesh.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Marc Meakin wrote: That is true, although that excuse has also been used to justify illegal music downloads
And it's a perfectly good argument in that case. Legality is not morality. I would never have "got into" half of my favourite artists without the ability to check them out for free, and now when I see them live it nets them more money than if I'd bought the CD anyway. The only artists who have to fear from free downloading are those who were distinctly mediocre in the first place. Hello U2!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote: That is true, although that excuse has also been used to justify illegal music downloads
And it's a perfectly good argument in that case. Legality is not morality. I would never have "got into" half of my favourite artists without the ability to check them out for free, and now when I see them live it nets them more money than if I'd bought the CD anyway. The only artists who have to fear from free downloading are those who were distinctly mediocre in the first place. Hello U2!
Or those who do not perform live or are dead (Yoko needs the money you know)
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Marc Meakin wrote:Yoko needs the money you know
Why doesn't she perform, then?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:Yoko needs the money you know
Why doesn't she perform, then?
I still question why she is still alive
I suppose it proves Mark Chapman must have been insane when he had 6 bullets and didn't shoot any into Yoko
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

I see your point but the tour's finished (at least in the UK - I went on the last night) and the DVD isn't available for sale in the UK. Heaven knows I've tried! As you also said, grainy youtube footage isn't a patch on going to see him, and I'd thoroughly recommend it. Since much of his other material has now been televised I didn't see the harm in this.

He's far and away my favourite musician of the moment! I'm shouting him loud and proud to everyone I know, and didn't see why you lot should be given special treatment :lol: :)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Lesley Hines wrote:I see your point but the tour's finished (at least in the UK - I went on the last night) and the DVD isn't available for sale in the UK. Heaven knows I've tried! As you also said, grainy youtube footage isn't a patch on going to see him, and I'd thoroughly recommend it. Since much of his other material has now been televised I didn't see the harm in this.

He's far and away my favourite musician of the moment! I'm shouting him loud and proud to everyone I know, and didn't see why you lot should be given special treatment :lol: :)
He is certainly my favourite musical/comedy Antipodean (sorry Kevin Bloody Wilson)
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Marc Meakin wrote:He is certainly my favourite musical/comedy Antipodean (sorry Kevin Bloody Wilson)

Even with the classic "Do You Fuck On First Dates?"!! The man has a wit all his own :lol:
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Having gone to tiny little venues for decades now, to see two or three comedians and a compere, I've seen such brilliant stuff from people who you'd rarely see on telly and who you'd maybe only look at on youtube if someone in the know puts you onto it , and, I've seen some great stuff from comedians who you can now only see in huge venues. Once it goes over about a 350 seater, and you're stuck half way back in some cavenous hall, it loses much of the magic for me. So, actually, yeah, forget it - I'll keep all the good stuff, in the intimate venues to myself and leave the youtube fans to realise that you've missed the boat with the likes of Peter Kay (peaked about 7 years ago I reckon), Russell Howard and even Ross Noble - who've all gone mainstream. Ross Noble as the weekly compere in an 80 seater basement gig in Hemel Hempstead was much more of a gem than Ross Noble in an arena.
Fool's top.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

If you're ever in the Worcester area can I recommend the Marrs Bar? I saw Mitch Benn (among others) at the comedy night at the then Gonzo's (playing to a crowd of about 20!), and Russell Howard regularly comes and tests his new material there. Plus, of course, many other excellent comedians who are either trying out new material or on the way up :) I think you'd enjoy it :D
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Lesley Hines wrote:Mitch Benn
Has been appearing on the new series of Watchdog, doing bizarre "comedy" songs based on consumer problems. Is also apparently a regular on The Steve Wright Show on Radio 2, where he pretends to be Elvis Presley.
Lesley Hines wrote:Russell Howard
Has a new show on BBC3, which I expected to be crap because of the target audience, but was actually surprisingly funny.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Derek Hazell wrote:... a new show on BBC3, which I expected to be crap because of the target audience ...
I don't wish to sound impertinent, but what would you say the target audience is? :?:
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Alec Rivers wrote:I don't wish to sound impertinent, but what would you say the target audience is? :?:
The BBC Three demographic is "young people", whatever that terrible new term means. But it certainly wouldn't include this 33 year old who hardly ever watches the channel but found it funny. :!:
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Derek Hazell wrote:Russell Howard has a new show on BBC3, which I expected to be crap because of the target audience, but was actually surprisingly funny.
Indeed. I missed the first show but caught the second one today on iPlayer; it not only made me laugh but the ending brought a small lump to my throat. Show 3 gets its first showing at 10.30 tonight and I'll definitely be watching.

Aside: Wish I could afford to renew my gym membership as it turns out that the gym I used to go to, and which HWMBO still frequents, is the one that Russell Howard uses when he's staying with his girlfriend in Leamington. Buns to die for, I'm reliably informed.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:I don't wish to sound impertinent, but what would you say the target audience is? :?:
The BBC Three demographic is "young people", whatever that terrible new term means.
On occasions when I'm particularly sick of advert breaks, I sometimes gravitate towards BBC Three when BBC1 and BBC2 are showing stuff I can't stand (things like Come Dancing and Ready Steady Burn, or whatever).
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Lesley Hines wrote:If you're ever in the Worcester area can I recommend the Marrs Bar? I saw Mitch Benn (among others) at the comedy night at the then Gonzo's (playing to a crowd of about 20!), and Russell Howard regularly comes and tests his new material there. Plus, of course, many other excellent comedians who are either trying out new material or on the way up :) I think you'd enjoy it :D
I went to see a couple of old favourites of the circuit - Jeff Green and Phil Kaye in a pub in Kentish Town a few months ago (with a great compere - Joe Wilkinson, I think) Not billed but announced as special guests between the two listed acts...Stephen Merchant and then Sean Lock. Both just doing a bit of warm up for Edinburgh. All those acts for £8. Bargain and just a really special treat! Likewise, Lesley, if you ever find yourself in Kent....
Mitch Benn's coming this month. I'm hoping I'll get to usher it as I enjoyed it last time but if not, our own little town gig in Whitstable has Nick Wilty - a real old stalwart of the circuit and at £7 - really good value. Our compere is one of Pappy's Fun Club, whose Edinburgh warm-up I would put on my top five list of funniest things I've ever seen - left me gasping for breath!
Fool's top.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

If you missed the new tour live I think (I hope!) it's on E4 tonight at 22:00 :D
Otherwise it's the still excellent "So f'kin rock" tour, but that's been on loads now.
Enjoy!
Edit:
Sorry, misinformed :( It's the tour that's already been screened. Did think that was quick!
Rightio - back to QIXL then ;)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Lesley Hines wrote:Back to QIXL then ;)
Now that is TV pleasure! ;) :) :D