Punctuation

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Punctuation

Post by Peter Mabey »

I came across this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_mark recently, and it occurred to me that it might be worth adding to the array of smilies available to reduce misunderstandings.
I am aware that there are people around who'll be insulted by the suggestion that it's not sufficiently obvious that their post is ironic if it's not flagged as such - but I hope that its use might cool some of the exchanges on the forum. :)
(On the other hand, there do seem to be some members who delight in sniping at one another, which does get rather boring for the rest of us. :roll: )
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Re: Punctuation

Post by Ben Hunter »

I never thought of adopting additional punctuation marks before, but it sort of makes sense. There definitely needs to be more exclamation marks, since whenever I read something that ends with an exclamation mark I always think it's meant to be slightly humorous, even though a lot of the time an exclamation mark comes at the end of an angry or authoratative sentence.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Re: Punctuation

Post by Ian Volante »

؟
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles