Pedantry Schmedantry

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Pedantry Schmedantry

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kirk Bevins wrote:To Phil:

It seems that if anyone was to make a spelling error or a slight grammatical inaccuracy you come down on them with a ton of bricks, or at least comment on their lack of correctness. I've noticed it for some time and that's just who you are but even when it's not me you're picking up on I just think "ffs Phil, let it drop". It's pretty awesome that you have to be 100% right all the time, including always using italics for Countdown which I think is pretty anal but there we go. The reason I (for one) am starting to fight back now as it just frustrates me that every time I see a post from you I can guarantee it's going to be a correction of a post of some kind - I just couldn't hold it in any longer.

You're a nice guy, Phil, and we've met and don't wanna be foes or anything stupid but that's what I've been thinking.

Anyway it would be a shame to lose you from this forum, so for goodness sake keep posting and if you must keep correcting, then please do and I'll try to bite my typing fingers.
Thanks Kirk (and thanks for the PM). You're a cool guy and I hate having acrimonious exchanges with you, so I'm glad that we're OK with each other. I just need to clear up a couple of things and then I'm going to try and back off from C4C a bit. What follows is just a statement of fact, addressed to anyone who might be interested; I'm not having a bash at you, just using a couple of quotes from your post to set the agenda - apologies in advance.
It seems that if anyone was to make a spelling error or a slight grammatical inaccuracy you come down on them with a ton of bricks, or at least comment on their lack of correctness. [...] it just frustrates me that every time I see a post from you I can guarantee it's going to be a correction of a post of some kind
This is obviously a problem I have with people's perception of me, but it simply isn't true. As I said to Sue when she and Dez were visiting the other week, if I really did pick people up on every spelling or grammar mistake as people seem to think I do, I would never go out of the house, have a shower, cook meals, or do anything except sit in front of this bloody PC all day long posting corrections to C4C. We all make mistakes and I have no interest in pointing out other people's bad spelling for the sake of it. Outside of one very specific context, I will occasionally draw attention to a mistake if I think it's funny and can point it out in a humorous way.

The specific context I mentioned is the daily show recaps. I think the recaps on this site are a terrific resource, and because of that I assume (perhaps wrongly) that we all want them to be accurate. Writing the recaps is a massive enterprise, but it works because it's a team effort. If I make a mistake in one of my recaps, I'm relieved when someone else spots it and points it out so I can fix it. And I do the same for other people. I hope, and believe, that the authors of those recaps don't see it as petty nitpicking - and increasingly nowadays, if I do spot a mistake in a recap, I wait a while in the hope that someone else will flag it up so I don't have to.

Anyway, having a pretty strong sense that all of the above was true, but no hard evidence, I decided to look at some facts. So I clicked 'Search my posts' and checked through the first two pages, representing my most recent 120 posts on the site (20 minutes of my life I'll never get back again :roll: ), and totted them up as follows:
  • spelling corrections to recaps - 6
  • other spelling/grammar corrections - 1
  • other corrections (e.g. factual errors) to forum posts - 16
  • posts containing no correction of any kind - 97
So, room for improvement in the third category maybe; but, as I said, the perception of me as a militant spelling/grammar pedant simply doesn't stand up to analysis. I prefer to lead quietly by example - which is why, yes, I do take care over the appearance of my own posts (though they're by no means error-free). Call it anal if you like (like that's a bad thing ;) ) but that's me. We all have our eccentricities and that's mine.

Anyway, enough from me. I'll probably be lurking more than posting here for a while, just till I get things a little more into perspective. Be nice to each other.

P xx
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Pedantry Schmedantry

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kirk and Charlie are killing C4C :D

(come back Phil x)
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

We all love you Phil. Don't go away. :cry:
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Hey Phil, please do not stop posting (especially, not because of some unfair criticism) :cry:

What with Sue taking a sabbatical, we will be losing 2 of the most colourful characters on the forum.

I for one like your dry wit (sometimes too clever for me) and your observations and anecdotes.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Anyway, having a pretty strong sense that all of the above was true, but no hard evidence, I decided to look at some facts. So I clicked 'Search my posts' and checked through the first two pages, representing my most recent 120 posts on the site (20 minutes of my life I'll never get back again :roll: ), and totted them up as follows:
I can certainly empathise with your frustration at being pigeonholed when you post such a large variety of posts. I wanted to do a similar kind of search when I was falsely accused recently, but ended up finding it too difficult to sort out.

As I said to you in a personal message this morning, I think the main problem here has been that you and Kirk are both quite sensitive people, and those sensitivities have begun to clash recently.

This board would be a lot duller without you, and so I hope that you come back to us on a fulltime basis after a little break. Strange coincidence both you and Sue getting the same feelings on the same day. A few people have flounced off of this site over the time it has been running, and some have not been justified or subsequently missed, but when major posters who actually shape the whole style of the place start to get despondent, it is probably time for everyone to just back down and let each other breathe for a while.
Matt Morrison wrote:Kirk and Charlie are killing C4C :D
Indeed, but they're such a nice guy.

Edit: oops, typo
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Fuck off, Phil.

Edit: I wanted to give the thread some balance.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Isn't it "like a ton of bricks", not "with a ton of bricks"?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
  • spelling corrections to recaps - 6
  • other spelling/grammar corrections - 1
  • other corrections (e.g. factual errors) to forum posts - 16
  • posts containing no correction of any kind - 97
Out of interest, which category did this post fall into? :P
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Michael Wallace wrote:Isn't it "like a ton of bricks", not "with a ton of bricks"?
You actually read that post? What's the short version?
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Phill, I for one think you should stop critcising everyone for there spelling and grammer and fuck. off
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Thanks everyone (especially DOD :P ) for the friendly comments. Like I said, I'm not disappearing altogether, just taking a step back.
Jon Corby wrote:Out of interest, which category did this post fall into? :P
The third one - I was deliberately harsh with myself as I wanted the evidence to hold water, though FWIW I think a post that begins with "Not necessarily" hardly qualifies as a flat correction, and certainly didn't feel like one when I wrote it.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

What do I have to do with this? :?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Aww I think that's a bit harsh. I've just expressed my feelings to one person rather than bottling it up inside me. I've PMed Phil and we're still friends and I certainly don't want him to leave the forum.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie 'made' Sue 'leave', and Kirk 'made' Phil 'leave'. I thought it'd be pretty obvious I was just mucking around.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Matt Morrison wrote:I thought it'd be pretty obvious I was just mucking around.
Maybe but I'm sensitive. Maybe you're about to make me leave :(
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:Charlie 'made' Sue 'leave', and Kirk 'made' Phil 'leave'. I thought it'd be pretty obvious I was just mucking around.
Did Sue leave? (Or even 'leave'?)

Edit: Oh yeah. I don't read the birthday thread. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McHyLKw5mHc
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Charlie 'made' Sue 'leave', and Kirk 'made' Phil 'leave'. I thought it'd be pretty obvious I was just mucking around.
Who was it that had stopped reading the Birthdays thread again?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Who was it that had stopped reading the Birthdays thread again?
Charlie.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Matt Morrison wrote:Charlie.
Evidently.

There is a big (and not just a pedantic) difference between "not liking" and "not reading".
That is today's lesson.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Charlie Reams wrote:

Edit: Oh yeah. I don't read the birthday thread. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McHyLKw5mHc
Surely this is more appropriate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNQRfBAzSzo
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:

Surely this is more appropriate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNQRfBAzSzo
This isn't appropriate, but Marc just reminded me of it and it amuses me.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I have to admit, when I read Kirk's post about wanting to turn the sound off so he could listen to his own music on the computer I did think "You want the moon on a stick". (This thread has got too arse-licky and needed that spite! ;))
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I have to admit, when I read Kirk's post about wanting to turn the sound off so he could listen to his own music on the computer I did think "You want the moon on a stick". (This thread has got too arse-licky and needed that spite! ;))
I don't understand.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I have to admit, when I read Kirk's post about wanting to turn the sound off so he could listen to his own music on the computer I did think "You want the moon on a stick". (This thread has got too arse-licky and needed that spite! ;))
I don't understand.
Your expectations from the game seemed quite high, like wanting the moon on a stick.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Sound? What sound? There's a sound on something? Will it help me to hear this sound?

I guess I've never heard it because I don't have any speakers plugged into my PC and I only put on headphones if I specifically want to listen to something. :)

Am I missing out?
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

You people and your slight differences disgust me